DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting your RPAS license

lamourj3

Reactions
Hello

I am from Canada and have a DJI phantom 3 standard, transport CANADA are setting up new laws starting June 1, under 250 grams no issues, anything above 250 grams must get registered and pass a rpas pilot license, they basic pilot is fairly easy, but if you are planning to fly your drone over people, buildings and structures, you will need to pass the advanced test and road test as well as apply for a SFOC certificate.

I tried the advance tests and it is VERY hard to pass, you literally have to be a commercial pilot to know the answers. Did anyone passed the advanced test?

LOL. That is the idea, to fly over high risk areas you need to know your stuff, stuff you learn when becoming a commercial pilot

No DJI drones on the “magic list” of suitable “safety assurance” certified drones, so at this point there’s zero reason to do the Advanced exam, unless you are going to purchase one on the list. Starting prices I saw of the drones on the list are north of 10k CDN to start. As time goes on we will will see how many DJI units get added, if any. I read that DJI is eager to comply with Can certification, but who knows if that will be only new units going forward, or in the case of current to past units, what ones they might be. IMO if they do certify current to older units they might do the inspire 2 and Matrice series, but you can forget about the Mavic line.

We will see. The reason the test is so hard is because it incorporates all RPAS. That obviously includes larger fixed wing aircraft which share some common characteristics of normal planes. I just finished a ground school course and don’t really see how you can know this stuff without serious research and self study. Not sure I completely agree on the DJI piece @Niblett they still have until June to catch up.

Reactions: Niblett
We will see. The reason the test is so hard is because it incorporates all RPAS. That obviously includes larger fixed wing aircraft which share some common characteristics of normal planes. I just finished a ground school course and don’t really see how you can know this stuff without serious research and self study. Not sure I completely agree on the DJI piece @Niblett they still have until June to catch up.

Well that escalated quickly lol

Seems DJI have been busy and now have almost all currently available drones listed to be suitable for Advanced Operations.

Reactions: d88s
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters