DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ghost Flight

Chaosrider

Reactions
The first flight of the Mars Ingenuity helicopter was on April 19th, 2021, and it inspired me to buy my first drone. I wanted something with a camera, but other than that, I really had no idea what drone to get. I settled on $75 as not quite bottom-of-the-barrel, but cheap enough that I wouldn’t be devastated if I dinged it up. It was a Snaptain S5C, and a great little starter drone.

I named my new little drone Ingy after his Martian inspiration, and he first flew on April 30th, 2021. He was fine inside the house, but he had no wind resistance at all, and I had very few good flying days without wind. But he was indestructible! I banged him into trees and bushes and the garage, and I’d just pick him up and launch him again. Still, it was frustrating. Even though he had trim, which I consider essential in a non-GPS drone, he was essentially uncontrollable in anything more than a steady light breeze. Living in a canyon, that’s not the usual condition here…

I’ve flown a couple of dozen types of fixed wing aircraft over the years, and there’s a strong correlation between aircraft weight, and turbulence resistance. So my first thought was that I needed to get a heavier drone to deal with the wind better. After a bit more research, I learned that wind resistance in drones is more a function of power than weight. I had been flying Ingy at the lowest power setting, and I finally decided to ramp him up to max power to see if that helped.

It didn’t. On May 28th, 2021 he got caught by a wind gust, and thrown over my head and back behind me over the garage. Gone With The Wind. Many searches, both on foot and with the Mini-2 that I got to replace him, turned up nothing. I gave up hope.

Then one morning last week, when I opened up the blinds to my back deck, there he was, sitting on my flying chair. Intact!

22-03-22-01 Ingy Returned!.jpg

As you can see from the second picture, he’s encrusted with dirt.

I had no idea where he was found, since he was returned anonymously. My best guess, and that’s all it was at this point, was that he ended up getting washed down into the creek, and someone found him a bit downstream. They either knew I was the neighborhood Drone Guy, or they gave it to someone who did know. A mystery!

His SD card was still inserted in the camera. Would the card still work after being baked in the sun, rained on, frozen, and buried in the snow for 10 months?

Yes! I plugged into my card reader, and all the vids were there…including the final Ghost Flight.

21-05-28 Ghost Flight.mp4

At 00:35, he’s caught by a big wind gust and carried off backwards over my head and over the garage, never to be seen again. From that point on it’s a Ghost Flight, all systems running, but no one at the controls…

At the very end you can see the view from Ingy, at the crash site. He kept recording for an hour and a half! A normal max flight with a full battery was only about 9 minutes, but when the engines stop running, the battery can keep the camera recording for a long, long time.

The next step was to get the battery out. It was sort of cemented into the battery compartment with caked dirt and dust, but I was able to get it out and unplugged without too much trouble. I found the old batteries and charged them up, so they should be ready to go. I bought some canned air so that I can blow off at least some of the dust and dirt.

For comparison, here’s Ingy next to one of my Mini-2s.

22-03-23 Ingy and Defiant.jpg

The next step for today: plug in a freshly charged battery, and see if I can get the system to power up. I sort of expected that the SD card might work. Powering the system back up…not so much…

But we’ll see!

😊

TCS

I bought some compressed air at Best Buy, and I was able to clean Ingy off pretty good with it. You learn something new every day…I didn’t realize that those cans get *cold* if you spray them for a while, but it made sense when I thought about it.

I had charged up a couple of the old Ingy batteries for today’s test. My guess was that when I turned him on, the result probabilities were:

85% Nothing happens
10% He would power on properly
5% Sparks or smoke or something else Bad

It worked!! Ingy lives!!

20220327 Ingy Lives!.mp4

This was just a simple “power-on” test, but since it worked, I’ll advance the ball farther. I’ll get new batteries into the remote, fire it up, and try to link them. I re-read the entire manual before the power-on test, and it should be pretty straightforward, but we’ll see. If they link correctly, the next step will be to WD-40 all of the moving parts, and let that sink in. All of the props rotate, although with some serious grittiness in two of them. There’s a little scuffing on some of the props, but miraculously, none of them are broken, or even chipped. Ingy has awesome prop guards.

The ultimate mission objective is to have Ingy back in the air by April 19th, Interplanetary Drone Day!

😊
😊

TCS

As long as you don't let the Magic Smoke out, your electronics are good.
None so far!

I zapped all the rotors/motors with WD-40. They all rotate, but one of them is still pretty sticky. I'm going to let the WD-40 do it's thing for a little bit before I make the connection, and try to fire it up.

Given that sticky prop, I'd estimate the chances of it firing up and spinning properly, and being balanced enough to be controllable, is no higher than 5%. But I've been surprised by Ingy already.

I might try replacing that prop, if I can find the replacement props...

TCS

As long as you don't let the Magic Smoke out, your electronics are good.
That's better than depleting the ground of electrons. ;)

@Chaosrider -- That is one remarkable story. Pretty amazing you even found the thing, fantastic it runs.

Pour some isopropyl down the motors before spraying oil. The IP will remove the crunchy stuff better, and not tend to make it clump and stick in place.

That's better than depleting the ground of electrons. ;)

@Chaosrider -- That is one remarkable story. Pretty amazing you even found the thing, fantastic it runs.

Pour some isopropyl down the motors before spraying oil. The IP will remove the crunchy stuff better, and not tend to make it clump and stick in place.
Hmmm...that would have been a good idea, if I hadn't already zapped it with the WD-40.

Still, there's no reason I can't do an iso zap, and then another WD-40 zap, before trying to start the engines.

There's no urgency, after all...he's been out there in the elements for 10 months!

TCS

Amazing! I too started out with the same drone. A good drone for a beginner. I gave it to my brother-in-law after I got my mini. It took a pretty good beating from me and so far my brother-in-law has been pretty rough with it too, but it just keeps on flying. I was very surprised at how much easier the mini is to fly than the S5C was, but now I wish I would have kept her. I have upgraded to a Mavic Pro and have been working on it all winter. The MP is getting racing stripes today, so she will be ready for the next warmup. Good luck with bringing her back to life and I wouldn’t let her go again!

Amazing! I too started out with the same drone. A good drone for a beginner. I gave it to my brother-in-law after I got my mini. It took a pretty good beating from me and so far my brother-in-law has been pretty rough with it too, but it just keeps on flying. I was very surprised at how much easier the mini is to fly than the S5C was, but now I wish I would have kept her. I have upgraded to a Mavic Pro and have been working on it all winter. The MP is getting racing stripes today, so she will be ready for the next warmup. Good luck with bringing her back to life and I wouldn’t let her go again!
That is amazing!

I too was shocked at how easy the Mni-2 was to fly, when I got it to replace Ingy when he went rogue.

The iso rinse of the motors was really a good idea. All of the actual grating sound and feel when I rotated the props, is gone. After I let the iso dry, I zapped it with compressed air again, and then with WD-40 again. The two front props actually spin pretty freely now. Both the back props are stiff, but there's no grating when I turn them manually. They don't stick, but there's resistance to their spinning.

I put new batteries in the remote, so I guess there's only one thing left to do...

TCS

They may free up once they are powered up. Hang onto it when running it for the first time. Then shut her down and then feel if they are not binding. Later you may want to flush out most of the oil as dirt and dust will stick to it and actually cause premature wear to the bearings. But for now it will help things free up.

Reactions: BroomRider
Just a great little story, thanks for sharing :D

And Ingy won against the Forces of Darkness!

Ingy flies!!

:)

TCS

This is a good story. I started out with a Snaptain S5C. It's a great little drone. I had a similar experience with mine disappearing off to the northwest as I lost sight of it in the trees while running after it and trying to control it. Several days of searching turned up nothing. And no anonymous neighbor returned it.

The S5C is a great choice for someone interested in drones but not willing to commit a few hundred dollars. If you learn to fly on an ATTI drone, you'll find a GPS-stabilized drone a piece of cake to operate.

Great story! Now put ingy on a display shelf and admire the way it came back to you. Ingy deserves its retirement.
Not quite yet!

The video I took during the flight...from Ingy...was very blurry. I want to see if that's something I can clean up. I also want to see if I can use the trim controls to actually get him to hover again...inside!

Sometimes during the summer we have days with dead still air. Perhaps, when that happens, I'll try taking him outside again for a little romp.

There's also a phone app which will receive vid transmissions, and actually be used to control the drone. I never tried that before, because I wanted to learn how to fly him decently first.

It's possible/likely that part of my uncontrollable experience with Ingy was that I was so new, I tended to over-control, moving the controls faster than he could respond, and that got me into some pilot-induced oscillations. I'll probably test that theory on a warm, windless day outside...whenever that happens.

Ingy is my own little drone miracle!

:cool:

TCS

This is a good story. I started out with a Snaptain S5C. It's a great little drone. I had a similar experience with mine disappearing off to the northwest as I lost sight of it in the trees while running after it and trying to control it. Several days of searching turned up nothing. And no anonymous neighbor returned it.

The S5C is a great choice for someone interested in drones but not willing to commit a few hundred dollars. If you learn to fly on an ATTI drone, you'll find a GPS-stabilized drone a piece of cake to operate.
I was sorry to see the S5C get discontinued. It was greatly superior to some of the comparably priced drones on the market today. More features. Tougher.

Snaptain also made another gem, the H823H micro drone. That one you can still get, and I've bought almost a dozen of them over the last year to give away and loan to people. My brother is getting one for his birthday next month, although he doesn't know that yet...

I wonder why Snaptain went out of business? It had to be something financial/managerial, because there certainly was nothing wrong with their technology!

:)

TCS

Reactions: MS Coast
The first flight of the Mars Ingenuity helicopter was on April 19th, 2021, and it inspired me to buy my first drone. I wanted something with a camera, but other than that, I really had no idea what drone to get. I settled on $75 as not quite bottom-of-the-barrel, but cheap enough that I wouldn’t be devastated if I dinged it up. It was a Snaptain S5C, and a great little starter drone.

I named my new little drone Ingy after his Martian inspiration, and he first flew on April 30th, 2021. He was fine inside the house, but he had no wind resistance at all, and I had very few good flying days without wind. But he was indestructible! I banged him into trees and bushes and the garage, and I’d just pick him up and launch him again. Still, it was frustrating. Even though he had trim, which I consider essential in a non-GPS drone, he was essentially uncontrollable in anything more than a steady light breeze. Living in a canyon, that’s not the usual condition here…

I’ve flown a couple of dozen types of fixed wing aircraft over the years, and there’s a strong correlation between aircraft weight, and turbulence resistance. So my first thought was that I needed to get a heavier drone to deal with the wind better. After a bit more research, I learned that wind resistance in drones is more a function of power than weight. I had been flying Ingy at the lowest power setting, and I finally decided to ramp him up to max power to see if that helped.

It didn’t. On May 28th, 2021 he got caught by a wind gust, and thrown over my head and back behind me over the garage. Gone With The Wind. Many searches, both on foot and with the Mini-2 that I got to replace him, turned up nothing. I gave up hope.

Then one morning last week, when I opened up the blinds to my back deck, there he was, sitting on my flying chair. Intact!

22-03-22-01 Ingy Returned!.jpg

As you can see from the second picture, he’s encrusted with dirt.

I had no idea where he was found, since he was returned anonymously. My best guess, and that’s all it was at this point, was that he ended up getting washed down into the creek, and someone found him a bit downstream. They either knew I was the neighborhood Drone Guy, or they gave it to someone who did know. A mystery!

His SD card was still inserted in the camera. Would the card still work after being baked in the sun, rained on, frozen, and buried in the snow for 10 months?

Yes! I plugged into my card reader, and all the vids were there…including the final Ghost Flight.

21-05-28 Ghost Flight.mp4

At 00:35, he’s caught by a big wind gust and carried off backwards over my head and over the garage, never to be seen again. From that point on it’s a Ghost Flight, all systems running, but no one at the controls…

At the very end you can see the view from Ingy, at the crash site. He kept recording for an hour and a half! A normal max flight with a full battery was only about 9 minutes, but when the engines stop running, the battery can keep the camera recording for a long, long time.

The next step was to get the battery out. It was sort of cemented into the battery compartment with caked dirt and dust, but I was able to get it out and unplugged without too much trouble. I found the old batteries and charged them up, so they should be ready to go. I bought some canned air so that I can blow off at least some of the dust and dirt.

For comparison, here’s Ingy next to one of my Mini-2s.

22-03-23 Ingy and Defiant.jpg

The next step for today: plug in a freshly charged battery, and see if I can get the system to power up. I sort of expected that the SD card might work. Powering the system back up…not so much…

But we’ll see!

😊

TCS
That is one of the best lost and found stories ever!! Go Iggy!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown