DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ghost Flight

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Replace the motors!! You can do it!

Ingy can soar the pines again!!!

If Ingy was mine, I wouldnā€™t be satisfied until I had it fixed and flying again. I enjoy fixing the unfixable. Take it apart, find the issues, fix them, and bring it back to life. I rarely give up. My MM and MP were both broken and sold for parts. They both look and fly like new now.

Reactions: EpicFlight
That's better than depleting the ground of electrons. ;)

@Chaosrider -- That is one remarkable story. Pretty amazing you even found the thing, fantastic it runs.

Pour some isopropyl down the motors before spraying oil. The IP will remove the crunchy stuff better, and not tend to make it clump and stick in place.
Also, rubbing alcohol is an excellent way to remove water from any electronics and protects things much better than drying things in a container of rice, or whatever people say to do. I washed a cell phone in the washing machine twice and let it take a swim in a glass of milk and it still worked for another year before getting rid of it. I doubt rice would allow that. I've also rescued a ham radio that I dropped in the only water puddle in the entire Mojave desert that way. That was 24 years ago and radio still works. That would have my been my first choice to rinse the grit out of the motors. I will be interested to hear if alcohol gets the wd40 out of the moving parts.

If Ingy was mine, I wouldnā€™t be satisfied until I had it fixed and flying again. I enjoy fixing the unfixable. Take it apart, find the issues, fix them, and bring it back to life. I rarely give up. My MM and MP were both broken and sold for parts. They both look and fly like new now.
I share the sentiment, but not the manual dexterity...

MM

Also, rubbing alcohol is an excellent way to remove water from any electronics and protects things much better than drying things in a container of rice, or whatever people say to do. I washed a cell phone in the washing machine twice and let it take a swim in a glass of milk and it still worked for another year before getting rid of it. I doubt rice would allow that. I've also rescued a ham radio that I dropped in the only water puddle in the entire Mojave desert that way. That was 24 years ago and radio still works. That would have my been my first choice to rinse the grit out of the motors. I will be interested to hear if alcohol gets the wd40 out of the moving parts.
The cleaning cycle was compressed air, rubbing alcohol (Iso), compressed air, WD-40.

I live in a very low humidity environment (by choice), so keeping things dry has never been an issue.

Thx,

MM

Just a thought, has anyone ever tried using an ultrasonic cleaner in situations like this?

I don't necessarily mean, dunking the entire bird, but as in this case, dipping the motor sections in, 1 at a time?

I've no idea if dunking the entire bird in, albeit using a non-conducting, non-corrosive solvent, like high-% isopropyl or ethyl alcohol, might be something worth tryingā€¦

I will say, WD-40 is a moderately decent preservative, but not originally designed to remain in place for use long-term as a lubricant. In the case of fine moving parts; it's known as a ā€œpolar solventā€ in that, with time, the evaporative portion will go away, leaving a sticky residue. I know this from working with servicing firearms.

If faced with a similar situation, I'd 1st flush any non-electronic parts in fresh water, as it tends to dislodge if not dissolve any potentially dried-on stuff. I'd also follow that up with a light non-polar solvent, & then blow all of that out.

Make sure that all the WD-40 or similar lubricant was flushed away, & then use an application of high-grade silicon or perhaps even better, Teflon, to provide a thin, light, generally non-sticky/dirt-attracting lubricant if needed.

Hopefully, I won't be needing to do that with my M3P; I'm relating from my years of experience servicing marine equipment in a saltwater environment.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000