DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ghost Flight

That is one of the best lost and found stories ever!! Go Iggy!!
Oh, he is!

But between the lousy weather I've got here and playing with my new Starlink system, he won't fly again until tomorrow.

It's been a very uplifting experience!

:)

TCS

Reactions: EpicFlight
Just checked, none for sale on Amazon but quite a few new ones on eBay. Get them while you still can. Prices are reasonable too!

Just checked, none for sale on Amazon but quite a few new ones on eBay. Get them while you still can. Prices are reasonable too!
Really? That's interesting.

I may well go check that out!

Thx,

TCS

Update:

On my first Ingy re-birth flight, the video image came out very foggy. I assume (hope) that I had just gunked up the lens in the process of the general cleaning.

So, I cleaned the lens, and went to check that out yesterday, but Ingy wouldn't fly. One of the props...the right front...was initially very stiff, and then locked up.

I did another cycle of iso-air-WD-40 on that prop motor, and hopefully he will fly again today. If I just have to clean that motor before every flight, well, worse things could have happened!

TCS

Take a good look down inside the motor and make sure there is no debris inside that may be jamming up the motor. If not, try some better oil like 3 in 1 or something equal. There are top and bottom bearings so make sure the oil gets into the lower bearings. Restrain the drone and run it through all the speeds, allow it to cool down and then do it again, until the motors spin freely. Don’t use anything in the motors that could remove the coating on the internal windings. It might even be a good idea to remove the motors from the arms without disconnecting the wires, which might make accessing the lower bearings easier.

Take a good look down inside the motor and make sure there is no debris inside that may be jamming up the motor. If not, try some better oil like 3 in 1 or something equal. There are top and bottom bearings so make sure the oil gets into the lower bearings. Restrain the drone and run it through all the speeds, allow it to cool down and then do it again, until the motors spin freely. Don’t use anything in the motors that could remove the coating on the internal windings. It might even be a good idea to remove the motors from the arms without disconnecting the wires, which might make accessing the lower bearings easier.
I didn't see any cxxx inside.

Good call on the 3 in 1. If this last clean-lube cycle doesn't work, I'll get some and try again.

I zapped it good both top and bottom with the WD-40.

The prop spins more smoothly now, and I expect it will work, but I've been spending my time on the Mini-2 Failure to Climb Malfunction today...

With my chubby stubby klutzy fingers, taking the motor out was never in the cards, and isn't now...

I'll report back after the test!

TCS

Yeah I know. I can’t handle the tiny parts like I used to either. And I am still working as a Master Mechanic. Hopefully not much longer as 45+ years of doing it has really taken a toll on my hands. Can still work the joy sticks on the RC pretty good though. Hope you get the Mini 2 figured out, it’s usually something simple, once you find the problem. Keep us posted on Ingy.

Yeah I know. I can’t handle the tiny parts like I used to either. And I am still working as a Master Mechanic. Hopefully not much longer as 45+ years of doing it has really taken a toll on my hands. Can still work the joy sticks on the RC pretty good though. Hope you get the Mini 2 figured out, it’s usually something simple, once you find the problem. Keep us posted on Ingy.
I will!

I've never been able to handle tiny parts.

I took 2 years of auto shop in high school, and I'm a good auto and motorcycle mechanic. I've even fixed a couple of airplanes with duck tape on occasion. I'm a great computer jockey.

But anything much smaller than a cylinder head bolt is literally beyond my grasp.

Everyone has their handicaps, I guess. I think klutziness should be included under the ADA...

:cool:

TCS

I agree! Arthritis should be too!
It might be, if it's bad enough!

I have arthritis in both of my pinky fingers from a bad motorcycle accident (hit by a car). My dock said at the time that arthritis was certain, and he was right.

Fortunately it's mostly just a minor annoyance.

TCS

I just wish it would warm up here as it’s better for arthritis and drone flying! But the crappy weather has given me the time to make improvements to my MP and get more accessories for when it does get nice out. Hopefully there won’t be too many honey do things to interrupt flying!

It might be, if it's bad enough!

I have arthritis in both of my pinky fingers from a bad motorcycle accident (hit by a car). My dock said at the time that arthritis was certain, and he was right.

Fortunately it's mostly just a minor annoyance.

TCS
Got just what you need... Improves your flying too!

s-l400.jpg

To get your landings down perfect, have 4-5 swigs of this while in flight. Amazing how relaxed you will be at landing:

ci-everclear-190-proof-a8d47e93040205c7.jpeg

Drink the snake oil and rub the Everclear on the joints, right? I think that would pass FAA requirements. Or do I use it on the drone? Hey! That stuff might work good for cleaning and lubricating Ingy’s motors!

Drink the snake oil and rub the Everclear on the joints, right? I think that would pass FAA requirements. Or do I use it on the drone? Hey! That stuff might work good for cleaning and lubricating Ingy’s motors!
It is my unshakable theory that such preparation was ignored, explaining Ingy's otherwise inexplicable behavior.

😁

I just wish it would warm up here as it’s better for arthritis and drone flying! But the crappy weather has given me the time to make improvements to my MP and get more accessories for when it does get nice out. Hopefully there won’t be too many honey do things to interrupt flying!
I'll get at least one flight in today!

But this is my first Spring of droning, and I recently realized that I have a terrible conflict of interest!

Do I fly the drone today, or ride the motorcycle today? Or fly two drones? Or ride both motorcycles?

Life is so hard!

:cool:

But when it start to be warmer for more of the day, I'll have more options to mix and match!

TCS

So, do I fly one of the Mini-2s today, or do I see if my last cleaning cycle got Ingy working again?

Life is so hard!

I was at the store today, and they didn't have any 3 in 1 oil, but it was just the grocery store, so that's not too surprising.

TCS

I bet you could find some at a hardware store, now the Everclear and snake oil…. That’s another story! We are expecting some snow tonight, and it’s been a 37 degree day. Not quite flying weather. It probably won’t be long until it gets nicer. Take a drone with you on the bike ride and find a nice place to fly. Kill two birds with one stone!

I bet you could find some at a hardware store, now the Everclear and snake oil…. That’s another story! We are expecting some snow tonight, and it’s been a 37 degree day. Not quite flying weather. It probably won’t be long until it gets nicer. Take a drone with you on the bike ride and find a nice place to fly. Kill two birds with one stone!
I'll stop at some hardware store and get some eventually, but...

I compromised about what to do with my time today, by flying two of my Mini-2s, and trying to fly Ingy again!

For Ingy, it was not a pretty sight. Different motors failed on different attempts, and he skittered all over the floor when I added a bit of power. I think his power distribution control system is shot.

I think it's time for Ingy to retire with dignity. I'll give him a place of honor in my drone display area, with his controller and batteries around him, as would befit a Pharaoh.

I think, he just wanted to tell me that he had made it to Drone Heaven OK, and that was his last hurrah.

For his epitaph, I won't presume to try to improve on the words of Obi-wan Kenobi:

"Rest easy, son. You've had a busy day!"

(sniff)

TCS

He deserves a place of honor and the great story that you can tell about him! Maybe a Ingy 2 someday? Just for the fun of it! Was nice hearing from you and what a great story!

He deserves a place of honor and the great story that you can tell about him! Maybe a Ingy 2 someday? Just for the fun of it! Was nice hearing from you and what a great story!
ARRRGHHHH!

That just means there's another drone that I have to buy. But Ingy 2 must live, if I can find a new Snaptain S5C! I certainly have enough extra batteries already...

I sure hope the job interview that I have tomorrow pans out. They say, "Do what you love, and the money will follow", but I dunno...

Thx!

TCS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61