DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal/Active Track Controls

Citizen Flier

Reactions
My first drone video "job" will require tracking cyclists in a bike park. (using M2P) Mostly a still shooter, I have tested the active track modes, but still have questions. The location is mostly open/flat with almost no trees, and no wires. Active track should be as good as it gets here. I plan to stay fairly high overhead, but low enough to make it easy for Active Track to stay on target. So I'm assuming Trace will work best and be most foolproof. I'd like to be able to track the riders with aircraft facing backwards, which might actually work here for awhile as this bike park is all twisty turns etc, with no straight sections. I have had the M2P change speed while following a runner at a constant speed, which would NOT be desirable. I'm hoping that a down-shot over flat ground might not result in drone speed changes if the riders maintain a fairly steady speed. Any tips for this scenario?

I'm thinking that Profile Mode works better at a somewhat lower elevation above and off to the side of the subject?

And Spotlight is best for a more static shot where the subject moves & drone follows from a stationary position? I'm assuming that better pilots can use this mode to plot their own course while the drone stays aimed at subject? I failed the motion test in a few previous attempts, as it was hard to fly in the desired direction with the drone orientation adjusting to point towards the moving subject. Not sure if FPV Gimbal mode would help for this?

Lastly I'm not sure I fully grasp the difference between Gimbal Follow Mode and FPV? In my experience I orientate the drone towards my subject forward, rear, or side facing, with Left Stick. Then I use Right Stick to proceed on course. Not sure how Follow and FPV modes would differ in this operation. Also, in my experience I have the option to tilt the gimbal up/down only -no sideways gimbal movement. I'm guessing the props would be visible if there was side to side gimbal movement. I do wish there was portrait mode option (as opposed to landscape) as that is how I capture Composite Panorama stills with a DSLR. This facilitates a more normal aspect ratio as opposed to a very wide composite pano, which is much wider than tall.

Please excuse the length of this post. Just looking for tips on Active Track operation, and modes, and a better understanding of Gimbal Follow or FPV. Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada