DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal and other problems

wco81

Reactions
Currently in Spain, I posted a thread about having repeated compass errors.

Now I've moved to another city, in another dramatic locale.

I hiked up some rocks to have a great vantage point overlooking the city of Toledo, Spain, south of the city, across the river, with dramatic views of the skyline.

First thing I see, as soon as I take off, the aircraft is shaking and the video is also very shaky. I don't see errors other than it warning me that I'm in some kind of restricted zone.

But I had researched the place and the only requirement is to coordinate with the heliports operated by a hospital nearby. They had me fill out some forms and they said I would be okay to fly but if I saw a helicopter in flight, I was to land immediately. The hotel I stayed in wouldn't let me take off from the property.

My stay was ending soon so I went out even though UAV Coach app was telling me there were 22 MPH gusts.

So I hiked up to this rock which is relatively secluded.

But DJI Go 4 app on my iPhone was insisting that I enter my phone number and it would try to relay my flight. However, I entered repeatedly and it would not submit.

So I dismissed the warning screen but I landed right away because of the shaky video feed. No point in flying when it's like that.

I powered off the drone and the controller and started up again and this time it was okay and I flew up more but then it finally reported in the app that the Gimbal was "obstructed" and then "blocked" This was when the aircraft was hovering a bit.

I flew a bit and tried changing from video to photo mode and what do you know, it stabilizes the video feed and I was able to capture some media, switching back to video and then to photo modes.

The next battery, I did some more flying but then lost all connection to the aircraft and had no video feed. It told me to move my antenna blocks. Odd thing was the aircraft was much closer to my location than the first flight. I was setting it up for a hyper lapse so it RTH on its own and the last few feet I had to control the lining because I was on uneven terrain, between rocks actually, so probably not the best launching/landing area. It drifted a lot as it came down.

I relaunched and didn't have the same connection errors, just that signal was weak. But I set up a hyper lapse and it captured enough for about 3 seconds of hyper lapse -- looks great actually) and then it said there was an obstacle and it aborted the hyper lapse and RTH.

It was approximately 50-60 meters above Home and maybe 30 meters away. There was no obstacle in the air unless there was some bird hovering in its path or something. No trees, no power lines, nothing.

I had one more charged battery but I decided to give up.

Too many different kinds of errors over the span of two batteries.

Either this locale has some radio interference or bad juju or my M2P is about to give up the ghost.

Has anyone encountered this kind of scenario? Multiple different errors, gimbal overload/obstrution while in flight, lost connection to controller, then some phantom obstacle while it's in HL mode, moving .5 meters per second.

Even just one of these errors seem puzzling.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair