DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal causing magnetic Interference.

job996

Reactions
Just figured out that the Gimbal position on my Mavic causes Magnetic Interference.
When pointed down, Compass to comes up with Mag Int, as soon as I bring it back up, it returns to normal.

Any ideas on a fix?

Very strange ... I'd suggest that this may be a combination of a couple of things. The gimbal would be taking some current to keep it pointing down, than it would to be level (relaxed), so I'd suggest that you have some other magnetic source in the vicinity that adds to the [very small] electromagnetic effect of the gimbal current - or you have a system fault in your Mavic. So - my questions are:
1) Is this only happening on the 'bench' - or does it do the same when flying?
2) If you allow the gimbal to do the 30 deg' rotate up [in Go 4] - does it also show the same mag' error when you rotate the gimbal up??

Reactions: job996
Very strange ... I'd suggest that this may be a combination of a couple of things. The gimbal would be taking some current to keep it pointing down, than it would to be level (relaxed), so I'd suggest that you have some other magnetic source in the vicinity that adds to the [very small] electromagnetic effect of the gimbal current - or you have a system fault in your Mavic. So - my questions are:
1) Is this only happening on the 'bench' - or does it do the same when flying?
2) If you allow the gimbal to do the 30 deg' rotate up [in Go 4] - does it also show the same mag' error when you rotate the gimbal up??

It happens both on the bench and in the air. If I look at the 2 compasses while on the bench, and rotate the camera downward, number 2 compass goes of the rails and Magnetic Int kicks in.
Yes, when it rotates up the Mag Int is cleared after a short delay and it goes back to normal. Rotate it back down and it comes straight back to Mg Int. Good thing is, it doesn't affect the controls, just the uncertainty of it causing a flyaway!

There is something strange happening in gimbal land. I'd expect the gimbal drive unit to draw current when it was in motion, but stop doing so when at rest. So when you rotate up and it clears the error, I'd expect you to see the same when it rotates down ... Have you done a gimbal calibration run??

There is something strange happening in gimbal land. I'd expect the gimbal drive unit to draw current when it was in motion, but stop doing so when at rest. So when you rotate up and it clears the error, I'd expect you to see the same when it rotates down ... Have you done a gimbal calibration run??
Tried absolutely everything from the forums and DJI guide. It ws only yesterday that I found out it was the Gimbal causing it.
Once rotated down and left in the position, the Mag Int remains, so I think it has something to do with the positioning of the Camera. Even removed the filter in case that was having an effect!

OK - did a bit of searching on Google, and it sent me right back to this forum ... Have a look at this:
Mavic Pro Compass Error (Magnetic Interference when camera facing down) ...
It appears that this problem is rare but not unheard of, and can be cured using a tool designed for de-magnetising metals. I did a search on Amazon.co.uk and found this ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duratool-D...29&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=c-fixer+demagnetiser ... which appears to be similar to the yellow tool pictured in the original post.

And here's a vid' covering the c-Fixer tool ...

And one from the manufacturer ... Who is a bit more precise about its use.

Can get CFixer tool on EBay - but they are shipped from Russia. You can get them with a power cable that enables you to power the unit from a Mavic Pro battery.
ebay.co.uk ... item 283248656605

Reactions: job996
Can get CFixer tool on EBay - but they are shipped from Russia. You can get them with a power cable that enables you to power the unit from a Mavic Pro battery.
Thank-you for your help. Most appreciated.
I will have a look at this fix, very dissappointing coming back in this state from DJI, who claim they have fully tested it and meets new requirements for a refurbed one.

Must be very frustrating, but at least we now know that it is a rare but treatable condition ... I hope the fix goes well. Let us know when you have done your de-magnetising!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu