DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Cover, should of been a better design???

silverdragon

Reactions
I dont know about anyone else but the gimbal cover seems to be knarly when put back on. Not so much taking it off but just a little knarly....

Reactions: gregsgems
Sure it won’t be long before someone comes out with
a different one . They have with all the others models.

Sure it won’t be long before someone comes out with
a different one . They have with all the others models.
Well, your correct about that and I am going to be the first customer to buy one... The sound it makes when it snaps in place crunges my stomach

• Haha
Reactions: dirkclod
Well, your correct about that and I am going to be the first customer to buy one... The sound it makes when it snaps in place crunges my stomach

Mine makes a cracking sound like it's brittle and ready to crack. It does it every time i remove/install it.

Mine makes a cracking sound like it's brittle and ready to crack. It does it every time i remove/install it.
Sounds odd might have a bad one put mine in hot water then flexed the hinge seems easier to use now

The crackling noise is because it's a two piece cover and the two pieces are making a noise.

Engage the tangs behind the gimbal first. Then gently squeeze the front and it goes right on. Lordy, do I need to make a video?

Last edited:
I'm guessing you are doing it wrong.

Engage the tangs behind the gimbal first. Then gently squeeze the front and it goes right on. Lordy, do I need to make a video?
Maybe, but did find this easy mod video to help keep stress off of the cam and ease removal and install.

Reactions: wjkrysak
Several times and you get the hang of it. I ensure the gimbal is in place (level) inside the cover hood, hook the front and then engage the tangs behind the gimbal. A delicate process, but once in place the gimbal is secure.
EDIT:
Thanks Drone Master for sharing the video. Just made my mod and less pressure on the gimbal, easy on and off, while still secure. This is what the forum is about. Thanks, again. And thanks to author of video.

Last edited:
The tang in the back holds the camera securely, otherwise it can still bounce back and forth. I, for one, do not want a bouncing camera while traveling.
True, the tuber that posted needs to further mod the protector for just that issue.
A precision foam insert on the bottom of the protector would suffice.

Reactions: wjkrysak
Yes, with removal of rear, it would allow for more play. I must have cut mine less deep, as it still "just" contacts the camera, with less pressure. Foam idea is good.

Reactions: photogaff
Mod completed. I added a bit of rigid foam to end of tang that I removed per video. Good contact with camera. Reduced pressure on camera, no movement, and easy on/off. Thanks for the brainstorming. gimbal cover mod.jpg. Enjoy your safe flying.

The crackling noise is because it's a two piece cover and the two pieces are making a noise.

If it's the same as my M2P, I don't see what the problem is. Everyone grumbles about it but it's a snack to replace...

The tension is only on the rubber mounts just like when it flies. This gimbal is pilot controllable thru 90 degrees horizontal. I think the gimbal guard should secure it and not just protect the lens.

The tension is only on the rubber mounts just like when it flies. This gimbal is pilot controllable thru 90 degrees horizontal. I think the gimbal guard should secure it and not just protect the lens.

I would like to add to your post (not contradicting you) and reiterate as it is to secure the gimbal tightly in place, as it has already been written in earlier replies, the gimbal protection holds the gimbal in place so it will not move, bounce and rebounce a few hundred times if you would walk for instance a distance of merely 100 metres if carrying the drone in a bag.

In the youtube video linked above the strain (or stress) is not put towards the gimbal it self.

As I have circled in green in the picture, there is the stress and the force is mostly put on the gimbal cover itself when it touches the ridges on the part behind the gimbal.

Lightroom_2020-05-21_14-41-58.png

Reactions: hiflyer201
I'm going to assume that DJI calculated the amount of pressure the gimbal could withstand when designing the cover. But by removing that clip the gimbal can bounce around and slam itself into the front of the cover. No thank you.

I agree. Doing so makes putting on very straightforward. Hinge from the front, press from the rear!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard