DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal flip at 90°

dariobs

Reactions
Hi all, I got my mavic 3 a few weeks ago and enjoying it a lot. Haven't had any major issues except the one I want to ask the community about.

When I set the gimbal 90° (top-down) and I fly the drone in any of the modes available (cine, normal or sport) I always experience some abrupt movement of the gimbal when the drone stops to just hover (see video in Gdrive linked below) even if the flying speed is pretty slow. This has been happening before and after the recent firmware updates and gimbal calibrations.

I've also played around with the EXP and advanced settings in general and haven't found the reason why it does it. Has anyone experienced anything similar on your M3s?

Thanks in advance!
Dario

Last edited:
Pretty normal. When pointing down, the gimbal is near the 90 degree stop. When the drone stops, its pitch goes from nose down to nose up. This nose up would require the gimbal to move past 90, but it can't. So the gimbal hammers the limit causing a video blip. Slow down the control movements in settings.

Pretty normal. When pointing down, the gimbal is near the 90 degree stop. When the drone stops, its pitch goes from nose down to nose up. This nose up would require the gimbal to move past 90, but it can't. So the gimbal hammers the limit causing a video blip. Slow down the control movements in settings.
Thanks eRidani, how do you have the settings configured to avoid this from recurrence? Keen to give it a go. I've tried different things but it keeps happening and based on the feedback collected so far, not everybody is experiencing this.
Cheers!

Read up in your manual about controlling pitch slew and yaw speeds.

Reactions: calmar81
ps: Also, make sure your APAS is set to BRAKE, not BYPASS. Apparently the M3 has a problem in BYPASS.

Reactions: calmar81
Pretty normal. So the gimbal hammers the limit causing a video blip.
No, there isn’t any way that a 15 to 20 degree gimbal swing should be considered normal and is much more than a video blip.
eEridani said:
would require the gimbal to move past 90, but it can't
Incorrect. It can and does.
@dariobs
I am experiencing this problem as well and actually started another thread on the subject before I saw yours. Here’s what it looks like:

Last edited:
For a jumpy M3 camera, DJI says turn off BYPASS mode. Use BRAKE instead. Or for best results, turn off APAS.

But, when I say "move past 90", it is relative to when flying along and the drone is already pitched nose down and when it stops, it pitches nose up. That in that nose up attitude the gimbal is using some of that extra range it has and is prone to a safety limit that prevents it from hitting the stop hard. Read the manual for details.

Good luck.

For a jumpy M3 camera, DJI says turn off BYPASS mode. Use BRAKE instead. Or for best results, turn off APAS.

But, when I say "move past 90", it is relative to when flying along and the drone is already pitched nose down and when it stops, it pitches nose up. That in that nose up attitude the gimbal is using some of that extra range it has and is prone to a safety limit that prevents it from hitting the stop hard. Read the manual for details.

Good luck.
Thanks eEridani, I have BRAKE mode ON, and all the settings configured for a smooth flight, but the drone still does it.
I'd like you to confirm if your aircraft does this as well even when the settings are configured as such.

Cheers
Dario

No, there isn’t any way that a 15 to 20 degree gimbal swing should be considered normal and is much more than a video blip.

Incorrect. It can and does.
@dariobs
I am experiencing this problem as well and actually started another thread on the subject before I saw yours. Here’s what it looks like:

Appreciate your insights and video, that is exactly what I have been experiencing. Can you please share the thread where this discussion is happening? I'd be keen to hear from others as well and identify potential solutions

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom