DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal gyro, gimbal obstructed, front vision sensors errors

Sgrim70

Reactions
Hi Everyone,

I have searched through tons of threads on here as well as on google but have not found a fix for my mavic pro. It was given to me by a friend who crashed it (flew into a tree branch then fell roughly 30 feet to the ground) who doesn't want to mess with it. When I first got it I tested it and it flew fine except I would get the forward vision sensor errors, a gimbal gyro error, gimbal overload error and no video to the app. I updated all firmwares and calibrated everything then replaced the front vision sensors and gimbal (just the arm with the cables, not the gimbal board, plate nor rubber dampers) with new ones. After doing all of this I now have video to the app but I still get the front vision sensor errors, gimbal gyro error, a NEW gimbal obstructed error and the gimbal does not respond to any of my inputs. I have disconnected and reconnected the 4 connectors on the gimbal board several times to make sure they were properly connected. On initial start up the gimbal goes through its normal routine but it sounds like it makes contact with the undercarriage of the mavic. I have tried calibrating using the DJI Assistant 2 software on my pc (windows 10) with every screen resolution available but nothing shows up in the front vision sensor windows in the bottom left of the screen (I removed the lens protective stickers from the sensors and camera) and nothing shows up on the main screen when I point the mavic towards it. I am hoping to avoid replacing components unnecessarily so I am looking for advice. I have filled out the required info below and added a few screen shots. Thanks in advance for your input/help!

Problem? Gimbal Gyroscope Error, Forward left vision sensor error, Forward right vision sensor error, Vision system error, Gimbal obstructed. The gimbal sounds like its hitting something in the undercarriage when it does its initial series of movements during startup. Gimbal is from then on non responsive to any inputs from the controller or app.

Was unit in a crash? Before I purchased it YES

What have you tried so far? Tried vision system calibration (could not do at any screen resolution, nothing shows in the lower left sensor screens, can not get anything to show up when pointing Mavic towards screen), Calibrated IMU, formatted SD Card, replaced camera gimbal with new one, replaced forward vision sensors with new ones.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? Samsung Note 8

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? Aircraft: Newest (01.04.0500), Remote: Newest (01.04.0500),

What Go app version are you using? Newest DJI GO 4 (v4.3.16)

Any modification?
Mavic is stock, except for me replacing the forward vision sensors and gimbal

Did you change anything or install any apps? No, except for me replacing the forward vision sensors and gimbal

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? Yes see attached.

Attachments

• 20190509_235840.jpg
    20190509_235840.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20190510-122135.jpg
    Screenshot_20190510-122135.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20190510-122143.jpg
    Screenshot_20190510-122143.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20190510-122235.jpg
    Screenshot_20190510-122235.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20190510-122635.jpg
    Screenshot_20190510-122635.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20190510-122648.jpg
    Screenshot_20190510-122648.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20190510-124439.jpg
    Screenshot_20190510-124439.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 27
Did you try checking if the OTHER ends of the two ribbon cables going from the gimbal board to the Ambarella board (under heatsink) are connected?

Reactions: Sgrim70
Did you try checking if the OTHER ends of the two ribbon cables going from the gimbal board to the Ambarella board (under heatsink) are connected?

Thanks for the idea! I did before I originally test flew it and they were connected. I just re checked them and one of them had come disconnected somehow. After reconnecting it and closing everything up I still had the same errors. Just for the heck of it I took the bottom plate off again and sure enough the same one had come disconnected again... This time I inspected the pins closer (took a pic with my phone then zoomed in a bunch) and noticed one of the pins was slightly out of line with the rest. I carefully bent it back and re connected it and now my front vision sensors work just fine! Now all I have is the gimbal gyro and obstruction errors and no movement after initial startup. I decided to order a new plate and dampers to see if that will make a difference.

Reactions: Thomas B
Just to update everyone. The new gimbal plate and rubber dampers did not fix anything. The gimbal still hits something in the undercarriage (it seems to be the anti drop hook). I get the same gimbal gyro and obstruction errors and no movement after initial startup. Also the camera seems pretty warm after a having the mavic powered up for just a short time. I'm thinking I should try a different camera?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas