DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Gyroscope Error after ribbon cable replacement

ytesfay80

Reactions
Hi, my mavic crashed into a tree and afterwards I got the gimbal motor overloaded error. I replaced the ribbon cable which I saw was torn once I disassembled it and now I no longer get the motor overload error. Now the only error I get is "Gimbal Gyroscope Error - Hardware Malfunction".

I tried doing the auto-calibrate gimbal but it seems like it never starts. I attached an image of the screen I see after trying to calibrate the gimbal.

Does anyone have any solution for this because I haven't been able to find much information about the gyroscope error?

Attachments

• IMG_3438.JPG
    IMG_3438.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 85
Hi, my mavic crashed into a tree and afterwards I got the gimbal motor overloaded error. I replaced the ribbon cable which I saw was torn once I disassembled it and now I no longer get the motor overload error. Now the only error I get is "Gimbal Gyroscope Error - Hardware Malfunction".

I tried doing the auto-calibrate gimbal but it seems like it never starts. I attached an image of the screen I see after trying to calibrate the gimbal.

Does anyone have any solution for this because I haven't been able to find much information about the gyroscope error?
I would consider doing a IMU calibration to the aircraft as this effects gimbal operation. Then try the gimbal calibration once again.

I would consider doing a IMU calibration to the aircraft as this effects gimbal operation. Then try the gimbal calibration once again.

I did the IMU calibration then gimbal calibration but it still does the same thing.
Before I replaced the ribbon cable the gimbal wasn't moving at all but after replacing the cable the gimbal moves around on startup.

I did the IMU calibration then gimbal calibration but it still does the same thing.
Before I replaced the ribbon cable the gimbal wasn't moving at all but after replacing the cable the gimbal moves around on startup.
It appears that you may have more than just the ribbon cable damage here.
Or you missed something during the ribbon replacement.
Perhaps @Thunderdrones can help you with further diagnosis and or repair.
Good luck.:)

What could I have missed during the ribbon cable replacement?

Thank you @Drone Master for the mention.

The gimbal gyroscope resides within the camera barrel and is necessary for the gimbal to determine which way is level. If you are getting that error, you are probably going to need a new camera barrel. I sell new and used ones. PM me if interested.

This picture is for demo purposes only. Before I ship them, they are cleaned and I make sure there are no scratches.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Thank you @Drone Master for the mention.

The gimbal gyroscope resides within the camera barrel and is necessary for the gimbal to determine which way is level. If you are getting that error, you are probably going to need a new camera barrel. I sell new and used ones. PM me if interested.

This picture is for demo purposes only. Before I ship them, they are cleaned and I make sure there are no scratches.

View attachment 16789 View attachment 16790
Hi @Thunderdrones. I'm getting the "Gimbal gyroscope error" message too. Nothing significant has happened -- trying to launch the drone during my lunch brake and noticed the gimbal would not center after it does it's power up cycle (pitch, roll tests). No response from the left thumb wheel. I did a stick/wheel calibration and verified the wheel appears to be working.

How difficult is it for me to remove and replace the barrel? How much do replacement barrels cost?

Thx.

Hi @Thunderdrones. I'm getting the "Gimbal gyroscope error" message too. Nothing significant has happened -- trying to launch the drone during my lunch brake and noticed the gimbal would not center after it does it's power up cycle (pitch, roll tests). No response from the left thumb wheel. I did a stick/wheel calibration and verified the wheel appears to be working.

How difficult is it for me to remove and replace the barrel? How much do replacement barrels cost?

Thx.

Did you try to do a gimbal calibration? If so, what % does it get to?

Gimbal gyroscope error could be your camera barrel, but I have also seen it happen with a broken strand on the silver LVDS video cable. The camera barrel is 4 screws, but getting the lens apart from the motor assembly can take gorilla strength sometimes due to the putty they use to try and keep the barrel watertight. I have scratched a few barrels in my day even though I always duct tape the parts before I try to pull them apart so I dont leave pry marks on the part..

Did you try to do a gimbal calibration? If so, what % does it get to?

Gimbal gyroscope error could be your camera barrel, but I have also seen it happen with a broken strand on the silver LVDS video cable. The camera barrel is 4 screws, but getting the lens apart from the motor assembly can take gorilla strength sometimes due to the putty they use to try and keep the barrel watertight. I have scratched a few barrels in my day even though I always duct tape the parts before I try to pull them apart so I dont leave pry marks on the part..
Yeah, I tried both Gimbal Recenter and AutoACalibrate Gimbal but i saw no response/movement with the gimbal, and nothing showed (i.e. prompts) on the screen. (I never used these actions before, so I am not sure what I should see happen.)

Focus and shutter speed still function. I am able capture and playback video.

When I hand move the drone (to watch the auto focus on the screen), the video feed is a bit jittery, as if the Gimbal stabilization is not active.

After the power cycle and the gimbal does its flex motions, it settles looking down and to the right (from the camera's perspective).

Thx

Yeah, I tried both Gimbal Recenter and AutoACalibrate Gimbal but i saw no response/movement with the gimbal, and nothing showed (i.e. prompts) on the screen. (I never used these actions before, so I am not sure what I should see happen.)

Focus and shutter speed still function. I am able capture and playback video.

When I hand move the drone (to watch the auto focus on the screen), the video feed is a bit jittery, as if the Gimbal stabilization is not active.

After the power cycle and the gimbal does its flex motions, it settles looking down and to the right (from the camera's perspective).

Thx
I crashed mine and replaced the both ribbon and strand cable. After I put it all back together I am having the same problems, turn drone on, gimbal moves around, looks down and thats it.

I crashed mine and replaced the both ribbon and strand cable. After I put it all back together I am having the same problems, turn drone on, gimbal moves around, looks down and thats it.
@StreetDoc40 thx for the input. I have a replacement camera barrel on order from China (eBay), with an ETA of 1 to 5 more weeks. (I guess it's having a fun ride on a boat.) Because of the long turn-around on shipping, I've been contemplating if I want to order ribbon cables too as a contingency if the "gimbal gyroscope error" isn't from the camera barrel. I've been checking around the net and I haven't found too much about the GGE to support or confirm the cause/resolution relationship. Once I do the R&R on the barrel, I'll provide feedback on this thread about the outcome.

I can't tell you how hard I'm jonesing to fly... Such a hard habit to fix. I was thinking of ordering another Mavic Pro, but figure the money spent should go for the MP 2 (if it ever released!!)

le mien la guimbal est folle au demarrage du mavic ca filme mais dans tout les sens ; pourtant jamais de choc l engin a presque deux ans ;

@StreetDoc40 thx for the input. I have a replacement camera barrel on order from China (eBay), with an ETA of 1 to 5 more weeks. (I guess it's having a fun ride on a boat.) Because of the long turn-around on shipping, I've been contemplating if I want to order ribbon cables too as a contingency if the "gimbal gyroscope error" isn't from the camera barrel. I've been checking around the net and I haven't found too much about the GGE to support or confirm the cause/resolution relationship. Once I do the R&R on the barrel, I'll provide feedback on this thread about the outcome.

I can't tell you how hard I'm jonesing to fly... Such a hard habit to fix. I was thinking of ordering another Mavic Pro, but figure the money spent should go for the MP 2 (if it ever released!!)
DID the new camera fix your problem?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman