DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Horizon tilt issue

Cerberus

Reactions
Hi guys, long time no bump up a message here..

But I noted that lately my Mavic has this issue with the gimbal horizon tilt and wondering whether you guys had it too..

I'm not sure when this started but when I take off, I normally see that the horizon is in line with my camera view.
However, when I fly around and make turns and stuff, the horizon will go crazily off kilt. I have experimented this a few times and it happens every time I fly and make turns (soft turns, not those crazy about right turns type).

tapping the camera to immediately point down and then up again will make the camera tilt better a bit, bit you can mostly see there is still not a level horizon. but fly around and make turns again, and the tilt is back..

Anyone else has this problem...?

p.s :- Im pretty sure the first time I got my mavic, there isn't such a problem..

Reactions: Capn Zaq
I'm noticing the same thing. It isn't consistently level or off-kilter either.

well, if I don't bother with the tilt and kept on flying, the horizon will slowly, very slowly level itself up, but not to the level I started flying in mostly..

I think this will be a eye sore if I were making a vid though..

anyone else have this issue, or better yet, a solution?

It's easy enough to adjust the gimbal in the app to level it out.

yes, you can level it out in the app, then you fly and make a turn and it all tilts all over again..

please note that as soon as you fly and make a turn, it tilts crazily again..
so you gonna adjust the tilt after each and every turn you fly ?

Reactions: PaulzOx
Not terribly tilted but I used to experience that on my first mavic. It always tilted a bit in the same direction so i thougth I could fix it by modifying the gimbal rotation via the app, but in many attempts I never got to really fix the issue and had to cut many pieces of film. The fix was a refresh care, the new one fixes the tilt just as it happens, and only sometimes I have to wait a bit, less than a second anyway

Reactions: Cerberus
Not terribly tilted but I used to experience that on my first mavic. It always tilted a bit in the same direction so i thougth I could fix it by modifying the gimbal rotation via the app, but in many attempts I never got to really fix the issue and had to cut many pieces of film. The fix was a refresh care, the new one fixes the tilt just as it happens, and only sometimes I have to wait a bit, less than a second anyway

Refresh care is the last option I would ever consider...

I'm gonna make a vid of it and email it to DJI support and see what they say...
sigh

Reactions: PaulzOx
Same problem here but not "crazy tilt" just a few degrees.

Refresh care is the last option I would ever consider...
I'm gonna make a vid of it and email it to DJI support and see what they say...
sigh

I refreshed since I crashed my Mavic, not for the tilt, I never believed the horizin tilt was a real issue, in fact it wasn't since I was always able to cut out the tilted parts from my movies and keep something good. But now I know what horizon tilt is, at least a light version of it

Same problem here but not "crazy tilt" just a few degrees.

yea, maybe I used to exaggerated a term... but a few degrees tilt is still disturbing..

I wondered when this all started..

I didn't note this until now since I started flying LOS and kept my eye on the AC flying around instead of my screen. really have to make a time to make a vid and post it up to DJI for analysis and their opinion..

btw, I am wondering whether this is because of the added weight of lens filter.. what do you guys think?

Have you guys checked for this issue after the latest FW update?
Mine seem to be solved after the update

You guys would be amazed how sensitive our eyes are to how straight the horizon is. I think you will find that 'crazy tilt' is no more than 1 or 2 degrees (and often less) when you correct it in post.

I also think the slightly 'off' horizon has always been there but we tend to notice more now because we are not so busy worrying about other things.

Reactions: Vilco
I think it has always been there.

Very annoying and no fix to date other than constantly adjusting.

So many ruined clips from this problem.

What FW are you on...as mentioned, after the latest update this problem I encountered is not as critical as it was before the update
hence I am checking to see whether you guys noticed it or not

the tilt is very very marginal now as opposed to before where I can see the horizon totally off kilt after you make a turn in either direction..

You guys would be amazed how sensitive our eyes are to how straight the horizon is. I think you will find that 'crazy tilt' is no more than 1 or 2 degrees (and often less) when you correct it in post.

I also think the slightly 'off' horizon has always been there but we tend to notice more now because we are not so busy worrying about other things.

My first mavic wasn't gettin' it wrong, simply it did take too much time to reset the horizon. Sometimes I got bored of waiting ofr it to level so I had to yaw it in the directions it was leaning to and then yaw in the opposite way to make it level out. The new mavic, which I got for another reason but thinking back I could have senti it back just for that, never made me think about doing that, it just levels out flat as soon as I stop yawing or side-panning quickly

Just noticed this with my Mav for the first time today.
Not drastic tilt but noticeable.
It was pretty windy today, around 15mph winds, and I got the high wind warning a few times on the app.
Flew again in a sheltered spot with much less wind and didn't have any problem.
Are people getting the horizon tilt issue in calm weather or is it only occuring in high wind ?

Pretty sure mine wasn't a wind issue..

mine happens everytime I make a soft turn..

If you yaw left and back right, does it fix your horizontal issue? That's how I recover from the issue. Not ideal, but a quick recovery. It'll be curious following this thread as I assumed my issue was normal and was treating it as an annoyance vs HW/SW defect.

iPhone X w/ lastest FW/SW as of today (11/25/2017)
i11.1.2
dji Go4 v4.1.18(3018)
aircraft: 01.04.0100

Here we are in late 2018 and it still happens with the latest updates. Tilting with yaw control, seems to be directly related to yaw speed and duration. More and faster you yaw the aircraft the more drastic the tilting and then slowly corrects itself. Did anyone get an explanation from DJI? Tired of cropping my video to make them work. 4k becomes 2.7k
Mine seems to have started after a crash but everything else checks out ok. Gimbal goes thru full calibration with no problems, have reloaded firmware, calibrated imu and compass and sensors. No luck.

Reactions: GavieboyDji
Here we are in late 2018 and it still happens with the latest updates. Tilting with yaw control, seems to be directly related to yaw speed and duration. More and faster you yaw the aircraft the more drastic the tilting and then slowly corrects itself. Did anyone get an explanation from DJI? Tired of cropping my video to make them work. 4k becomes 2.7k
Mine seems to have started after a crash but everything else checks out ok. Gimbal goes thru full calibration with no problems, have reloaded firmware, calibrated imu and compass and sensors. No luck.
DJI won't fix it. Others just tell you deal with it and fix in post. I agree, total BS they don't fix it, but MP1 is soon to be end of life so no other updates. I'm sure they will still trash the app and something in Go4 for other products will again mess up the MP.

Since they are still selling MP 1 I can't see them abandoning new owners this soon. I would expect fw updates for another year or so at least. Would you not be pissed if you just bought one of these with no future support. There must be a law.
Especially since the jury is still out on the MP2. No shortage of unhappy MP2 owners.
Just wish they would address the horizon thing. DJI just tells me to recalibrate the IMU, the compass and the gimbal. Then they tell me to send it in for repair.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk