DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Horizon Tilt on Brand New Mavic

STEye

Reactions
I have a brand new Mavic Pro that has a gimbal horizon tilt. I have calibrated the IMU several times and also auto-calibrated the gimbal all on perfectly level surfaces. Despite my attempts to calibrate, it continuously has a small tilt. It can be fixed with manually adjusting the gimbal roll (takes .6 to level). This is my second Mavic as the last one had even more of a tilt. Is this normal for a new Mavic?

Also, during the auto calibrate gimbal process it looks like the horizon is perfectly level, but when it completes (100%) the gimbal goes back to the tilted state. This Youtube video (not mine) shows what I am talking about:

What is the purpose of the auto calibration??

Last edited:
Anyone have comments? When you got your Mavic new, was your horizon set perfectly from the factory (no gimbal roll correction needed)?

Think my one was fine. Have you tried to correct it?

I have calibrated the IMU and Auto Calibrated the gimbal many times to see if it would level out without needing to use the Gimbal Roll adjustment. I would think it would come from the factory level, or using the Auto Calibrate would level it without needing a manual adjustment.

Forgot to mention I even calibrated the IMU COLD. I read somewhere that it is more accurate when you put it in the refrigerator before calibrating it. I had left mine outside in ~39 degree weather for about half an hour before calibrating. No such luck, it nets the same results with the tilt.

Can anyone chime in to let me know if their Mavic came perfectly level? I don't know if I need to exchange it for another one?

I had two Mavics, both showed a bit of tilting (0.2 or so) sometimes it was autocorrected mid air, sometimes I had to adjust it in Lightroom

Once you make a gimbal correction through gimbal roll adjustment in camera settings or horizon adjustment on the RC. Does this solve the issue or are you continually seeing the tilt each use?

There's a button and wheel combination to manually adjust the horizon. I'm relying on my memory here, but I thinks it's holding down C2 and scrolling the right controller wheel (left or right, to correct the tilt).

Reactions: newguy
I am noticing this on my brand new mavic pro as well. I searched this today as Its bugging me and I have only had it up three times and its a few weeks old.
I will try to calibrate and see if it helps. I am of the mindset its not worth sending in and risking a refurb when its brand new. I will just return it and the merchant can send to DJI. This should not be as widespread and especially this late in this models life cycle.

Reactions: Ctdrone
There's a button and wheel combination to manually adjust the horizon. I'm relying on my memory here, but I thinks it's holding down C2 and scrolling the right controller wheel (left or right, to correct the tilt).

That is correct, holding the C2 down while using the right wheel, adjusts the horizon tilt. My brand new MP also has a slight tilt, resetting the gimbal doesn't fix it. But it's not annoying enough for me to send it back, I just hold C2, and give the right wheel one click to the right.

ok, first, the IMU calibration does not directly adjust the gimbal, it just adjusts the sensors for flight. There is a separate gimbal calibration in the camera settings. Second, make sure your are on a perfectly flat and level on 2 axis surface and adjust the gimbal. I am 99% sure this will fix it. If it does not, there is a roll adjustment in the settings that you can adjust your gimbal roll. The only time ive ever had to do this is if im flying over the ocean, and the drone has trouble identifying horizon to auto set.

Mine is pretty new - bought in December 2017. Its horizon was always tilted right out of the box. I had to do the manual adjust to 0.7 to get mine level.

I had performed the IMU calibration on a perfectly level table (I even used a bubble level). Like I mentioned earlier, I did the gimbal auto calibration with not avail. It is so strange that during the calibration the horizon level is PERFECT, then when it completes, it returns to the slightly slanted state. This is my second MP, the first had the same problem of a slanted horizon along with another issue in which I exchanged the unit. The replacement was manufactured the same time as the replacement. I can deal with just manually adjusting the gimbal roll if that is normal (despite what my OCD says, lol). I just wanted to see if the majority of users have this issue.

I had performed the IMU calibration on a perfectly level table (I even used a bubble level). Like I mentioned earlier, I did the gimbal auto calibration with not avail. It is so strange that during the calibration the horizon level is PERFECT, then when it completes, it returns to the slightly slanted state. This is my second MP, the first had the same problem of a slanted horizon along with another issue in which I exchanged the unit. The replacement was manufactured the same time as the replacement. I can deal with just manually adjusting the gimbal roll if that is normal (despite what my OCD says, lol). I just wanted to see if the majority of users have this issue.

Ok so remember too that the gimbal is centering based on compass and other sensors for level flight. Many times, horizon is not level, it’s comprised of Mountians and shifting altitudes. So it could look like the horizon is off, but it’s actually correct and it’s just the terrain not level.

Ok so remember too that the gimbal is centering based on compass and other sensors for level flight. Many times, horizon is not level, it’s comprised of Mountians and shifting altitudes. So it could look like the horizon is off, but it’s actually correct and it’s just the terrain not level.

The first tell tale sign of it being off is when I have the MP inside my house. Things like the wall line and the grates on the window show that it is skewed. Then taking it up in the sky, it has a constant angle no matter where I turn.

The first tell tale sign of it being off is when I have the MP inside my house. Things like the wall line and the grates on the window show that it is skewed. Then taking it up in the sky, it has a constant angle no matter where I turn.

A method we use in videography to perfect a horizon line is to place a long bubble level somewhere and make sure it’s perfectly level, then bring the drone up and line the top or bottom of the camera view to the bottom or top of the level and see if is indeed off kilter. If it is, adjust it using the roll setting till it’s perfectly level according to the bubble level. Then your set for good.

I watched 2 vids on youtube of people having this problem.Check out drones and electric unicycles and Sean Ozz. They had to return their Mavic's to DJI.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661