DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal issue after crash

Tpribble

Reactions
I had my first crash today, I was trying out an older Samsung 7 tablet to see if it had enough capacity to be a permanent display and processor and accident hit the return to home button. Any suggestions other than send it to the drone ER? I have attached some picture for reference. In the second picture (0509) you should be able to see where the gimbal is hitting the base.

Problem
. I can’t control the camera tilt and rotation. I have gotten the message “Gimbal Motor Overload’ and one point another that said “Gimbal Disconnected”. When I turn the Mavic on the gimbal rotates right and left very quickly, it will also flip all way down and then always up. It appears that when it tilts up the open side of the gimbal it is hitting part of base plate. If I move it by hand it wedges on that plate and take a fair amount of pressure to get loose.

Was unit in a crash? The Mavic Pro flew straight up to the tree limb above it. It thrashed around in the limbs for a few seconds and fell about 12 feet landing props down. I checked it out and other than a very slight ding in battery and a small crack in one prop everything seems ok. I test flew it again immediately after the crash, using the same props and it worked fine.

What have you tried so far? Connected to the Ipad mini I normally use to fly, recalibrated the IMU and compass. .

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? Ipad Mini

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? Unable to access it at this time but it was the latest version available on May 11, 2018, using the remote controller

What Go app version are you using? 4.2.14

Any modification?
none

Did you change anything or install any apps? No

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem?
Posted with this. SHow current condition and attitude IMG_0508.jpg IMG_0509.jpg IMG_0510.jpg IMG_0511.jpg IMG_0512.jpg

Welcome to the forum Tprbble and sorry about deleting your Duplicate post but 1 thread is all you need here .
Most here or I do when I have any issues ask @Thunderdrones what it might need .
Good luck and hope it don't take much to fix it .

Thanks for the welcome and I appreciate you deleting the duplicate. I tried to last night once I saw I had accidentally posted it twice but I couldn't find the delete button

Reactions: dirkclod
Thank you for mentioing me @dirkclod

OP you are probably going to need a new ribbon cable and new vibration plate. I can see that your gimbal pitch arm is bent to the side a little bit.

I've been reading the forum for a while as a guest and have seen you are the go to person on repairs!

I could not tell if the arm was bent of not but considering the gap in the arms stayed consistent when moved I figured it may have been the plate. Do you sell part? Also is there a part diagram available for these things?

Thanks for the welcome and I appreciate you deleting the duplicate. I tried to last night once I saw I had accidentally posted it twice but I couldn't find the delete button
It wasn't no problem and you can't delete a thread only a post . I can and if you make one just report it
as a duplicate or someone will and it can be fixed easy no problem .
Hey..stuff happens . :)

I've been reading the forum for a while as a guest and have seen you are the go to person on repairs!

I could not tell if the arm was bent of not but considering the gap in the arms stayed consistent when moved I figured it may have been the plate. Do you sell part? Also is there a part diagram available for these things?
Yes I sell the parts but if you want to do the repair its best to 1st disassemble everything and then see what is bent and broken.

Yes I sell the parts but if you want to do the repair its best to 1st disassemble everything and then see what is bent and broken.
I will do that. I tend to like to work on things and am usually OK doing most repairs as long as it doesn't involve soldering or painting.

After looking at the plate for awhile I decided if it wasn't too brittle to bend that little bit it shouldn't be too brittile to bend back. A dowel rod and the hammer I use for gunsmithing did the trick. I recalibrated and recentered the camera/gimbal and everything seems to be back to normal. Thank everyone for the help and advice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661