DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji mini SE gimbal suddenly works, then doesn't

flyingwithkris

Reactions
This crash which happened a year ago was a result of an upside down crash on the roof. Yes, I still get video from the camera. The gimbal moves fine up and down, but when I tilt it to the left or right side, it moves kind of strange, it touches some corners. I have had the drone since November 21, 2022. It always said gimbal stuck. But, today when I flew it for a while and activated fpv mode and follow mode etc, it suddenly worked, but with gimbal motor overload error, but it could be controlled and was smooth. And now after the trip when I came home, it didn't work, again, it said gimbal stuck.

Reactions: lensimages
I tilt it to the left or right side, it moves kind of strange, it touches some corners.
Carefully examine the gimbal those rubber absorbers WILL dislodge so check closely make sure one side of the rubber isnt twisted If your camera is touching the sides then it would have to be this or a VERY bent gimbal ( I cant see it bending that much!)

Give a close look at the rubber shock absorbers and make sure they are installed correctly. Sometimes one will dislodge during a lite crash.
Screenshot_20240427_194739_Gallery.jpg
This is the picture of the drone from below. Can you see the little damage here? I have no idea, but I think the rubber is okay. It isn't twisted or dislodged, but maybe it is the rough corners' problem. Thanks for your help though, I really appreciate that you answered this post.

Carefully examine the gimbal those rubber absorbers WILL dislodge so check closely make sure one side of the rubber isnt twisted If your camera is touching the sides then it would have to be this or a VERY bent gimbal ( I cant see it bending that much!)
Thank you a lot for answering. I think that the rubber absorbers (2 rubbers on each side as you see here) are okay, but I am not quite sure. The gimbal randomly worked at the end of the flight today, not quite sure how, but it said gimbal motor overload. Anyway, now it is back to normal: gimbal stuck.
And, if I try and put the gimbal upwards (when the drone is in normal position), it has a specific stopper at a point. I don't know if this is normal or not, and the same thing happens if I push the gimbal further inside gently. You can also see that a plastic part beneath the gimbal is deformed. I can't get it back to normal again, though.
Screenshot_20240427_194739_Gallery.jpg

My eyes can play tricks on me at times, in your picture, I think I see on the right side where the rubber connects to the shell a small crack in the plastic. A different picture may help my old eyes.

My eyes can play tricks on me at times, in your picture, I think I see on the right side where the rubber connects to the shell a small crack in the plastic. A different picture may help my old eyes.
Yes I think Starz means this 1714335315763.png
Its where the back of the roll motor has been pushed into that flange and broken it.
That said, I would not expect that damage to have such a detrimental affect on the gimbal operation since the support rubbers are still in effectivly the same place.

fiyingwithkris
Have you tried calibrating the gimbal.
I assume that you use the Fly App but I only use the Go4App so I cannot help on where you will find that command.

Last edited:
I would not expect that damage to have such a detrimental affect on the gimbal
With that type of an impact, anything is possible. The motors on that gimbal are not bulletproof. Will be interesting to see how this gets resolved.

Yes I think Starz means this View attachment 174647
Its where the back of the roll motor has been pushed into that flange and broken it.
That said, I would not expect that damage to have such a detrimental affect on the gimbal operation since the support rubbers are still in effectivly the same place.

fiyingwithkris
Have you tried calibrating the gimbal.
I assume that you use the Fly App but I only use the Go4App so I cannot help on where you will find that command.
Sorry indeed for late reply, but yes, it is true that this plastic part is a little bit deformed.
Well, I tried calibrating the gimbal both manually and automatically, but was stuck on 0% and manually, nothing happened. I use the DJI Fly App, yes, but not the Go4App because it doesn't support DJI Mini SE ... Well, I can try and fly it a lot because it suddenly worked after all those seasons and months, but with the gimbal motor overload error. And now it still says stuck, as I mentioned in my first post. Anyway, I have a video of the movement of the gimbal; roll, pitch, and yaw. And, thank you a lot for your help. I really appreciate it, it is kind of you.

With that type of an impact, anything is possible. The motors on that gimbal are not bulletproof. Will be interesting to see how this gets resolved.
Yes, it is very fragile indeed. It probably is broken, but the sudden moment when it worked in my last flight was strange, even if it said "gimbal motor overload". Maybe I should try and fly it again, but for a long time, or something like that. I have no idea how I am going to fix this, as this problem had existed for 1 year and some months, and I also had a problem with opening the top of my drone: now impossible to open it. Anyway, I gave up for a while, but posted this because it suddenly started working for a while at the end of my last drone flight I had some days ago. Well, thank you a lot for helping me, I really appreciate it. Sorry for the late reply.

Your best option will be to send it to DJI.
Note: I’ve never heard of “manually” calibrating a camera gimbal on a DJI product.

Your best option will be to send it to DJI.
Note: I’ve never heard of “manually” calibrating a camera gimbal on a DJI product.
That could be a nice option. The thing is, I have no idea how I am going to send it and how much it will cost and that it will cost a lot without knowing it before I send anything. I could of course go to the city to the DJI store or something, but the capital city is like 100 km away from where I am. A problem is that I didn't actually buy the drone myself, too.
And, by the way, it is true when I say manually calibrating, because in the DJI Fly app, I can select between two options if I press calibrate gimbal: manual and automatic. I have no idea how it works, though. Thank you for helping and advices, I appreciate it.

The “manual” calibration ONLY allows you to ADJUST slightly the horizontal and yaw position of the camera. It has nothing to do with the total movement allowed by the gimbal motors. Put the chop sticks back in the kitchen.

The “manual” calibration ONLY allows you to ADJUST slightly the horizontal and yaw position of the camera. It has nothing to do with the total movement allowed by the gimbal motors. Put the chop sticks back in the kitchen.
Ah, I see. But, I tried to move the camera gimbal in all directions in that video to see what kind of obstacles it may have hit, and it touched some corners. Anyway, since it worked some days ago after some minutes of flying, I will try to fly again, today.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM