DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal jerking down in forward flight

Bill Ludwig

Reactions
It seems like I've seen this issue from others, but can't find the thread. Since the latest DJI update, when my gimbal is at 0 degrees or above, and I start forward flight, the gimbal jerks down to around -8 degrees. I have calibrated the gimbal several times, even removed the filter and re-calibrated. Still does it. Any suggestions?

Well, the easiest explanation would be, that you fly too fast for the gimbal to be level or the wind forces it downwards.
There's also a protection built it, that if you suddently stop, the gimbal won't knock the top of the drone.

Could be either ...
Before you start, is the gimbal levelled after initialising?

This happens as soon as I start forward flight, so there is almost no wind at that point. The sudden movement has something to do with it, as 'S' mode pitches more violently than 'P' mode. Starting forward flight sloooowly helps, but does not eliminate it. And, yes, the gimbal is level after initializing.

Hmm, I hope others may comment on this too, from your description I could derive that it may also be a technical problem for the gimble not to be stable in such light conditions ...

I agree that it seems too sensitive. I may be wrong, but this seems to have started right after I uploaded the latest firmware a few days ago...

No, I have not tried resetting to factory defaults. Probably should, but it's maddening going through every single screen capturing every custom setting. :(

It is ... but upon other advice I would definitely try to do so if you want to eliminate any software malfunction.

The gimbal on the M2 Pro will do this as soon as you hit around 8-10 mph or faster. You can attempt to keep it up with slight pressure on the gimbal adjustment dial , but eventually it will pop right back to level. Also not sure flying with the pressure on the gimbal (via the adjustment dial) is a good practice as it's putting pressure on the gimbal for sure as it's going to want to return to level.

I have 2 M2 Pro's and both do this. I have just given up attempting to fly with the gimbal anything but level as the jump back to level will ruin a good flight/video.

It will also pop back to level if you have it aimed down and exceed the 8-10 mph flight speeds.

I don't think it's anything at issue with the gimbal, just the way it's designed.

Paul C

Thanks for that info, Paul. I was just about ready to reset to defaults, but research was showing that you can't do that with DJI Assistant on the M2. Anyway, you just saved me from a lot of effort. Mine rarely jerks in 'P' mode, which is what I use 95% of the time anyway.

unfortunately i dont think that anything you try will prevent this behaviour in sport mode, as you say the drone pitches forwards much more than in P mode, and is just the gimbal trying to keep the picture as smooth as possible, and it over reacts to the inputs from the controller

It seems like I've seen this issue from others, but can't find the thread. Since the latest DJI update, when my gimbal is at 0 degrees or above, and I start forward flight, the gimbal jerks down to around -8 degrees. I have calibrated the gimbal several times, even removed the filter and re-calibrated. Still does it. Any suggestions?
Drives me crazy too with the Mavics.

Reactions: Bill Ludwig
I've had this situation before when I have modified the parameters so that the drone tilts forward lot more than normal
so when you and sports mode the tilt of the aircraft is quite severe and the entire aircraft pushes lower than where the camera was originally programmed to adjust for tilt..

it's correct that there's about flying too fast you'll find that the stock settings for the tilt does not have this happen

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I didn't recognise the TE was talking about this behaviour in Sports mode ... I would expect that considering the higher speed but not necessarily in P- or T-mode on stock settings with moderate stick input ...

Well, the easiest explanation would be, that you fly too fast for the gimbal to be level or the wind forces it downwards.
There's also a protection built it, that if you suddently stop, the gimbal won't knock the top of the drone.

Could be either ...
Before you start, is the gimbal levelled after initialising?
Not true. I've done all the things in flying you mentioned. 2 weeks it started to happen. This shd be free repair,

@4thdpi
What you mean by 'not true'?
I gave a possible explanation why the gimbal would act in the way described.
There's not enough info or evidence to judge either way.

So, what's your point again?

Just to be clear, when I started this thread, maybe it’s just me but this gimbal sensitivity issue started after the latest firmware update. Not sure if it’s because of the update, but I have not changed any settings, and now it’s MUCH more sensitive to this problem than ever before. Can anyone think of a setting that I might be able to be change to reduce this sensitivity?

i know it might seem obvious but sometimes a firmware update can change your original settings in the app did you check that out just a suggestion

Just to be clear, when I started this thread, maybe it’s just me but this gimbal sensitivity issue started after the latest firmware update. Not sure if it’s because of the update, but I have not changed any settings, and now it’s MUCH more sensitive to this problem than ever before. Can anyone think of a setting that I might be able to be change to reduce this sensitivity?

There is no setting that can solve that problem.
Only workaround if you are filming: Start at your endpoint, fly backwards and reverse the footage in post.
That is a problem obviously with any moving objects in the shot ;-)

Reactions: brett8883

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard