DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal lock option

Can you please direct me to an example of a video where the gimbal appears to be locked in place while the drone is being lifted or moved while powered off, many thanks.
The so called gimbal lock on the Mavic 3 doesn't lock the gimbal in place if you touch it or dislodge it either. It only locks it in place upon powering down, rather than immediately falling limp, like the M2P and M3C. However, It can easily be dislodged, too. I've since watched several other M3P reviews and, unlike the Classic, where the camera is always seen sideways when powered off, most of the M3P videos show the camera collection facing forward and level. None show it hanging completely limp. It may not have a lock on it, but it certainly is better secured in place when powered off than the limp Classic. Time will tell.

The so called gimbal lock on the Mavic 3 doesn't lock the gimbal in place if you touch it or dislodge it either. It only locks it in place upon powering down, rather than immediately falling limp, like the M2P and M3C. However, It can easily be dislodged, too. I've since watched several other M3P reviews and, unlike the Classic, where the camera is always seen sideways when powered off, most of the M3P videos show the camera collection facing forward and level. None show it hanging completely limp. It may not have a lock on it, but it certainly is better secured in place when powered off than the limp Classic. Time will tell.
Never mind GadgetGuy, we would all benefit from having the humility to admit we are wrong sometimes.

Never mind GadgetGuy, we would all benefit from having the humility to admit we are wrong sometimes.
I'll happily admit I am wrong, if I am. So far, that has not yet been established. Unlocked gimbals do not prove there is no lock upon powering down.

Does the Classic have the gimbal lock function like the regular one? Can anyone confirm?
yes it has gimbal lock.. when you power down your drone gimbal does stay in place without getting limp.. do a fw update as classics didnt have the lock capability in the previous updates..
now its up to dji engineers to make the classic zoom in n out in photo mode.. as in video mode is useless..

yes it has gimbal lock.. when you power down your drone gimbal does stay in place without getting limp.. do a fw update as classics didnt have the lock capability in the previous updates..
That's good news, and lends support (no pun intended) to the Mavic 3 Pro also having the locked gimbal upon powering down!

The Classic definitely has no gimbal lock even with the latest update.
Thanks for clarifying. I wonder why @xrider thinks it now does! I didn't think that would be possible with a mere FW update! The suspense over whether the Mavic 3 Pro has a gimbal lock continues, but not for much longer. DJI preorders should start arriving May 9th!

because gimbal stays in place while classic is powered off

Staying in place (yours appears unlevel while staying in place—it's not limp, but also not level) is not the same thing as the powered off lock on the Mavic 3, which resets the gimbal to straight and level. Point your gimbal straight down before powering off. Then turn the drone off. Does the gimbal return to straight and level before shutting off?

Reactions: 370Z2017
FYI, got my Mavic 3 Pro today, and it definitely has no gimbal lock too.
Thank you for confirming my doubt. Although it is not a deal breaker for me, but one would hope to get every tiny feature that is available in the "non-pro" version, for the "pro" version.

Thank you for confirming my doubt. Although it is not a deal breaker for me, but one would hope to get every tiny feature that is available in the "non-pro" version, for the "pro" version.
Wouldn't surprise me if it sneaks in later, I sold my Mavic 3 today and whilst browsing other Mavic 3 listings I discovered that the 7x camera was modified to an improved oval shaped camera on newer units, makes me wonder what us early birds are going to miss out on further down the line..

Sorry for going off topic.

Reactions: blackbirdsr72
FYI, got my Mavic 3 Pro today, and it definitely has no gimbal lock too.
Lucky you! Must be one of the first. We just needed one to know!

Bummer! However, as massive and heavy as that Tri Camera setup is, I am not surprised. It's the price of Mavic 3 Pro perfection! I still really like that feature on my Mavic 3's. I'll get over my minor disappointment.

I wonder why the M3 is the only model with a gimbal lock? Does this mean its prone to failure? I doubt it since we haven't heard a word about that.
Why doesn't the M3pro have it? strange. Weight and hardware?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I wonder why the M3 is the only model with a gimbal lock? Does this mean its prone to failure? I doubt it since we haven't heard a word about that.
Why doesn't the M3pro have it? strange. Weight and hardware?
I'm guessing weight. Better to let it float freely than to lock it and have it break the lock, causing more damage. However, no lock places more reliance upon the gimbal guard bra to protect the gimbal during transport. I am also thinking that the gimbal and camera are more fragile than on the Mavic 3, especially prone to damage in even a drop onto a carpeted floor, because the cameras protrude out so much further. I'll be buying Refresh on mine, just in case, as the gimbal assembly and camera module are likely quite expensive to replace.

I am also thinking that the gimbal and camera are more fragile than on the Mavic 3

I don't think the gimbal of the M3P is more fragile than the other Mavic 3.
I've already tested it unintentionally. ;)

preview

Dropped after contact with a tree from about 3m. The drone is fine.

I was testing Active Track with 70mm and obstacles between me and the drone. So it's not particularly useful. ;)

I don't think the gimbal of the M3P is more fragile than the other Mavic 3.
I've already tested it unintentionally. ;)

preview

Dropped after contact with a tree from about 3m. The drone is fine.

I was testing Active Track with 70mm and obstacles between me and the drone. So it's not particularly useful. ;)
Ouch! Fortunately, that's a somewhat soft landing, and upside down rather than right side up, or face first onto a hardwood floor or concrete, which is my biggest concern, if it got inadvertently knocked off a table indoors, or even fell off a fence post while launching outdoors in the wind! Glad it's still ticking after taking an initial licking!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS