DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal lock option

blackbirdsr72

Reactions
Does the Classic have the gimbal lock function like the regular one? Can anyone confirm?

No Gimbal lock. Hangs loose like the MP2

Reactions: blackbirdsr72
This is bound to come in a software update, it's only locking the gimbal in a certain position

No extra hardware is needed.
I wonder why they did not release it with the gimbal lock function ready. However, later is better than never.

Reactions: leebroath
Every single unboxing video I've watched has a limp gimbal when they remove the camera protector.
I haven’t seen any unboxing videos. I've only watched the review videos. However, the act of removing the jock strap does tend to dislodge the gimbal lock even on the Mavic 3. Once it is hanging, the drone must be powered on and then off to relock it, which would generally not happen in an unboxing only video. Where the lock is needed is upon powering down, to make installation of the jockstrap easier. The new larger camera body is so heavy on the M3P that the gimbal lock when powered off is almost essential. The limp gimbal on the Classic only stays in position when the drone is powered on, much like the M2P. Fingers crossed that I am right that the M3P gimbal does lock when powered off!

A DJI chat agent just told me that it has not! I am still not sure though, but I have seen all the unboxing/review videos there are on youtube and all seem to support that it actually has no gimbal lock feature.
Thanks for that, looks obvious to me now that it doesn't lock, the camera even appears to move freely behind the fitted gimbal guard in some videos which is slightly worrying, I hope this is not the case as it wouldn't be ideal for travel.

The gimbal lock is a brilliant feature on the Mavic 3, maybe a weight saving measure to delete it from the Pro.

Reactions: blackbirdsr72
Thanks for that, looks obvious to me now that it doesn't lock, the camera even appears to move freely behind the fitted gimbal guard in some videos which is slightly worrying, I hope this is not the case as it wouldn't be ideal for travel.

The gimbal lock is a brilliant feature on the Mavic 3, maybe a weight saving measure to delete it from the Pro.
Probably yes. The U-shaped piece of foam behind the gimbal (that comes installed with a warning to remove it before use) should keep the whole gimbal steady for travel.

A DJI chat agent just told me that it has not! I am still not sure though, but I have seen all the unboxing/review videos there are on youtube and all seem to support that it actually has no gimbal lock feature.
They don't know what they are talking about.
I wouldn’t place any credence in their response!

I have not seen any limp gimbals in any of the many reviews on YT. Unboxing videos are not relevant because the lock is easily loosened by removing the gimbal guard, or touching the camera. In order to reset the lock, the drone must be powered up and powered down.

They don't know what they are talking about.
I wouldn’t place any credence in their response!

I have not seen any limp gimbals in any of the many reviews on YT. Unboxing videos are not relevant because the lock is easily loosened by removing the gimbal guard, or touching the camera. In order to reset the lock, the drone must be powered up and powered down.
Can you please direct me to an example of a video where the gimbal appears to be locked in place while the drone is being lifted or moved while powered off, many thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krasto