DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Gimbal Motor Overloaded" after crash

Kiradakilla

Reactions
So the other day I was flying my drone and I crashed my drone into the side of my work building. It fell 3 stories. I realized the gimbal plate needed to be replaced and so I bought that and replaced it, upon replacing that I tried turing on the Mavic again and seeing if it all works and I get a message that gimbal motor is overloaded.

To answer a few questions:
  1. I have tried moving the camera back and forth with my fingers.
  2. I have replaced the gimbal ribbon just yesterday and still have same issue, I also did not see any damage on the original gimbal ribbon when replacing it.
  3. I have always used the gimbal clamp and only 1 time did I even forget to remove it and for only a few seconds maybe 30 seconds at best. But nothing went wrong for a while and the problem didn't show up till after the crash.

#1 you will not need to replace the whole gimbal. Some shops just dont know how to repair them

Overloaded and obstructed are 2 different error messages. Overloaded means that the ribbon is bad, not properly seated, or a pin in a connector is bent. Obstructed means your gimbal motor assembly might have gotten damaged.

The way it is getting stuck might mean that your pitch or yaw arms are bent. Look at the gimbal from the front and see if any of the gimbal arms look bent. If so, you might need a new motor assembly.

Also, check to see if the pitch motor is getting too hot to touch after its on for a minute or two..

Last edited:
Thunderdrones,
I changed the gimbal flex because it was cut (I had a fall from a height of 40 cm)
I changed the flex in my Mavic Pro, and now I have the same symptom as Kiradaquilla.
The engines of the gimbal are heated after a few seconds, what should I repair?

Thunderdrones,
I changed the gimbal flex because it was cut (I had a fall from a height of 40 cm)
I changed the flex in my Mavic Pro, and now I have the same symptom as Kiradaquilla.
The engines of the gimbal are heated after a few seconds, what should I repair?

It could be either a bad flex cable or your entire motor assembly.

gimbal.jpg

Thank you Thunderdrones,
Knows some way to distinguish which can be the fault: flex vs. assemble engine?
The flexes that are sold on the internet tend to fail?

Reactions: Former Member
Thunderdrones,
I bought a second flex and the repair was successful !!
When reviewing the first flex that I changed I found an area with different coloration, indicating where it failed: probable short circuit? will this have been the origin of the temperature of the engines?

Attachments

• WP_20180416_009.jpg
    WP_20180416_009.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 70
  • WP_20180416_008.jpg
    WP_20180416_008.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 66
  • WP_20180416_007.jpg
    WP_20180416_007.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 63
  • WP_20180416_006.jpg
    WP_20180416_006.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: Former Member
Thunderdrones,
I bought a second flex and the repair was successful !!
When reviewing the first flex that I changed I found an area with different coloration, indicating where it failed: probable short circuit? will this have been the origin of the temperature of the engines?

Good job.

Kiradakilla, have you had any success resolving this? I recently experienced the same symptoms after a crash and have been unsuccessful so far in resolving. Thanks.

I have not yet tried to replace any parts.

Ive tried the method of turning it on its right side and turning it on with no luck.

I also tried a gimbal automatic calibration which would not go past 50%.

I can phisically move the gimbal along the yaw with no issues. When i adjust the pitch it freely moves until the camera is starting to point down and then it becomes a little more difficult.

Ive also made sure that firmware is updated as well.

I have not yet tried to replace any parts.

Ive tried the method of turning it on its right side and turning it on with no luck.

I also tried a gimbal automatic calibration which would not go past 50%.

I can phisically move the gimbal along the yaw with no issues. When i adjust the pitch it freely moves until the camera is starting to point down and then it becomes a little more difficult.

Ive also made sure that firmware is updated as well.

Any crashes?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52