DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Gimbal Motor Overloaded" = Worthless Mavic

I have the same issue as in the video above. Gimbal freaks out and fails to initiate, and says it's overloaded. I tried the fix in that video and it doesn't work for me.

This is the 2nd Mavic in ONE WEEK that has bricked out on me and become worthless because of this issue.

I sent the first one in to DJI for repair, bought another one on Amazon to use in the meantime (currently traveling), and now the 2nd one has also stopped working after a week.

This is piss poor quality control from DJI, and as far as I'm aware there is still no acknowledgement from them of this issue even though a lot of people are experiencing it.

What do I do now? Keep buying a new Mavic every week? And what can I do with the 2nd Mavic? Can I return it to Amazon for a refund?

And is there any way to get back the $200 I wasted on DJI Care Refresh to cover BOTH of these defective drones?

Last weekend my gimbal went apeshit.
So what I did I turn it off, removed the battery and waited for a bit, then hooked in another fresh batter and restarted it. Then it all works.

I had a crash into a truck and into concrete about 8 or 9 feet the first day I had mavic.

I've since flown about 200 miles. No gimbal issues at all.

I had a crash into a truck and into concrete about 8 or 9 feet the first day I had mavic.

Haha yeah I've seen some good durability tests on youtube that surprised me. Hopefully I was just unlucky with the first 2..... Third time lucky? I will crash it into a truck and see how it goes.

We were having a hurricane with 140mph winds, which was a PERFECT opportunity to get some bad-ace footage, ya mon!

So, was circling the eye at 180 -- full-stick in sport mode -- got distracted, and smacked right into the side of a concrete overpass!! At 180mph! Well, RocketMan (that's my Mavic) stopped cold, of course, and dropped straight down into the brackish crap below the bridge.

Got it back, not a scratch on it. Man that's some quality workmanship! Really good paint job too, I gotta say. Tied it to a pole and stuck it back out in the storm to let it sorta blow around in the rain and rinse off all the sewage and other junk.

Had it right back out there in a Tropical Storm a few days later, filming epic Superhero footage! YAH BRAH!

The most amazing thing of all is how this entire tale is complete horse manure. No Kidding!

Reactions: albireo
Seriously? I didn't even have care refresh, just had to pay for shipping

yep. i assumed that when i sent it in it would be covered. i even have video of the "crash".

it was hovering before landing, i initiated landing manually, then boom, from hover straight into the ground and right back up at speed.

yep. i assumed that when i sent it in it would be covered. i even have video of the "crash".

it was hovering before landing, i initiated landing manually, then boom, from hover straight into the ground and right back up at speed.

Oh true? Maybe something to do with that, mine was when I turned it on to update it, and the gimbal just went psycho during its calibration and then came up with the error.

I have the same issue as in the video above. Gimbal freaks out and fails to initiate, and says it's overloaded. I tried the fix in that video and it doesn't work for me.

This is the 2nd Mavic in ONE WEEK that has bricked out on me and become worthless because of this issue.

I sent the first one in to DJI for repair, bought another one on Amazon to use in the meantime (currently traveling), and now the 2nd one has also stopped working after a week.

This is piss poor quality control from DJI, and as far as I'm aware there is still no acknowledgement from them of this issue even though a lot of people are experiencing it.

What do I do now? Keep buying a new Mavic every week? And what can I do with the 2nd Mavic? Can I return it to Amazon for a refund?

And is there any way to get back the $200 I wasted on DJI Care Refresh to cover BOTH of these defective drones?
If you read some of my posts you'll see what I went through the first mavic I had for 2 days. DJI said to send it back to them 5 weeks and they sent me a new mavic. I should have sent it back to Amazon. The second mavic lasted one week. Amazon sent me a new one. I've had this one for about 3 weeks and it works perfect Amazon will replace it. Talk to them on a Friday. Had a new one on Sunday. DJI care is ridiculous when I went to transfer to new drone they said I didn't have it. I sent them receipts and their confirmation notice. At this point I'm going to the credit card company just to get the money back. The customer service is atrocious.

Reactions: Biggle
Having fixed and replaced a good number of Mavic gimbals, I can say that it is as strong as the Phantoms despite its small size. The parts that usually break on impact are the gimbal plate, silver video cable and the flat ribbon cable. The gimbal motor assemblies usually die if you had a really hard crash and the drone was still powered on, and the gimbal was trying to right itself. At least one of the motors usually fry. These days most gimbal parts are available, and are relatively cheap fixes.

Reactions: xspazx
Actually this brings up a very good point about DJI care if you don't have it and you send it in they repair it and it seems to be costing most people less for these gimbal errors then the 100 + $80 to get it back from them and actually we end up with a whole refurb model instead of the known good one. I sent my machine in because it had a gimbal overload error not because of a crash or anything like that but the gimbal just started doing strange things and then started getting those errors but yet I had to use up one of my swaps under DJI care refresh. I do not believe that was fair! And it seems like the people that are getting theirs repaired are getting their way faster than the people under DJI care refresh!
Pretty ironic considering the whole idea of DJI care refresh is to keep flying and to have Priority Care!

I dont think you can transfer Refresh. You have to cancel it, then get a new policy.
The DJI rep I chatted with said I could transfer it, even though I bought it from Amazon, as long as I had proof of return.

We'll see.

Actually this brings up a very good point about DJI care if you don't have it and you send it in they repair it and it seems to be costing most people less for these gimbal errors then the 100 + $80 to get it back from them and actually we end up with a whole refurb model instead of the known good one. I sent my machine in because it had a gimbal overload error not because of a crash or anything like that but the gimbal just started doing strange things and then started getting those errors but yet I had to use up one of my swaps under DJI care refresh. I do not believe that was fair! And it seems like the people that are getting theirs repaired are getting their way faster than the people under DJI care refresh!
Pretty ironic considering the whole idea of DJI care refresh is to keep flying and to have Priority Care!
My first Mavic that had this issue was just quoted $0.00 for repairs by DJI.

How do you know if they're using your DJI Care Refresh to cover it, or not?

In my repair quote they didn't say.

Because they give you instructions if you have DJ care that you need to put it on all four sides of the box when you send it in

Reactions: Former Member

Because when they sent me the damage assessment they said I needed to send them $79 to send me out a replacement unit after which they said they were repairing it and then after that again said they were replacing it and just one more time for good luck said they were repairing it and each one of those status changes required another couple of extra days to allow for processing the shipping of my unit back to me. So if they didn't use my swap I would not have had to pay the $79

Reactions: Former Member
If you read some of my posts you'll see what I went through the first mavic I had for 2 days. DJI said to send it back to them 5 weeks and they sent me a new mavic. I should have sent it back to Amazon. The second mavic lasted one week. Amazon sent me a new one. I've had this one for about 3 weeks and it works perfect Amazon will replace it. Talk to them on a Friday. Had a new one on Sunday. DJI care is ridiculous when I went to transfer to new drone they said I didn't have it. I sent them receipts and their confirmation notice. At this point I'm going to the credit card company just to get the money back. The customer service is atrocious.
Customer service????? Anybody that's on here that's dealt with their supposed customer service knows it's unbelievably ridiculous. I spent at least three or four sessions waiting on hold up to an hour and still never got through so I decided to try their chat and they just leave it as we will update your status and send you an email. Email That Never Comes!!!!! For some reason I still love my mavics but I don't have any kind words to say about the company I hate to say.

Customer service????? Anybody that's on here that's dealt with their supposed customer service knows it's unbelievably ridiculous. I spent at least three or four sessions waiting on hold up to an hour and still never got through so I decided to try their chat and they just leave it as we will update your status and send you an email. Email That Never Comes!!!!! For some reason I still love my mavics but I don't have any kind words to say about the company I hate to say.
One thing I wanted to mention if they say you have two mavic replacements it makes sense that they have to transfer your coverage to the next drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ