DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal obstruction and Motor Overload- Replaced Vibration Plate

turtle

Reactions
Problem? Stated errors are Gimbal obstruction and Motor overloaded

Was unit in a crash? No

What have you tried so far? I just finished taking apart the drone and completely replacing the gimbal plate with a new one. However, I noticed that the plate is getting in the way of the gimbal going up and down (will show a video). Not sure if that was the problem before I replaced the plate because I only thought I needed to replace the plate as it was cracked.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)?

Iphone and Ipad

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)
Here is a picture: Here is a video:
In the video you can see how the gimbal rubs against the plate for whatever reason and cant figure out how to fix this. Hoping this would also be the cause of the motor overload. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated thanks!

OP, turn the drone right side up. The gimbal will dangle. See if it still rubs against the plate. If so, you might need to bend the gimbal plate back a little bit at the 2 screws to free the gimbal motors up. When you bent it, do it a tiny bit at a time or it will snap off at the 2 screws.

Reactions: turtle
New drone or aftermarket?
Drone was new when I purchased it about 2 years ago. However, I have only flown it a handful of times in those 2 years. Last time I flew it was in in August and I don't recall having any problems. Took it out two days ago to fly and the error for motor overload popped up. Noticed the bracket was broken and replaced that today. Errors are still there though

OP, turn the drone right side up. The gimbal will dangle. See if it still rubs against the plate. If so, you might need to bend the gimbal plate back a little bit at the 2 screws to free the gimbal motors up. When you bent it, do it a tiny bit at a time or it will snap off at the 2 screws.
Thank you @Thunderdrones! Is there a specific way to bend the gimbal plate? Do I need to remove the gimbal again from the screws or can it be bent while still connected?

Thank you @Thunderdrones! Is there a specific way to bend the gimbal plate? Do I need to remove the gimbal again from the screws or can it be bent while still connected?

No you dont need to remove it. I hate to say this, because some people will cringe, but hold the gimbal plate with your left hand finger, and pull the gimbal down with your right. Just bend it a little until the gimbal rotates clear of the plate. A little only!

@Thunderdrones ok seems I am clear on that side but now it seems a new obstruction was created. Now the gimbal arm is rubbing against itself. Any idea how to fix that properly?

Attachments

• IMG_8477.jpg
    IMG_8477.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
OP, after rereading this thread, I think your gimbal was hit from the right (passenger) side. This would explain the bent gimbal plate, and the obstruction.

Gimbals dont get bent like that without some type of contact. If youre getting GMOL and GMOBS messages, something happened to your gimbal along the road.

Your pitch arm looks straight so turn the lens to the ground and look inside your red circle for a black plastic piece. Make sure its snapped in.

View attachment 71341

Very weird because although I see how it looks straight in this picture you can definitely feel and hear the rubbing of that piece and even can see the scuff marks on the picture I sent you where it is rubbing.

Your pitch arm looks straight so turn the lens to the ground and look inside your red circle for a black plastic piece. Make sure its snapped in.

View attachment 71341
If this is what you are talking about (refer to picture) nothing seems out of place and nothing to snap in that isn't already in place.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 6.22.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 6.22.29 PM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
OP, after rereading this thread, I think your gimbal was hit from the right (passenger) side. This would explain the bent gimbal plate, and the obstruction.

Gimbals dont get bent like that without some type of contact. If youre getting GMOL and GMOBS messages, something happened to your gimbal along the road.

I trust that you know way more than me and likely most people on this forum however this is a completely new gimbal plate that I installed this morning which is why I was also confused about the obstruction. Don’t recall any hits for the drone and drone was fine last time i used it, several months ago, but regardless it wasn’t working when I took it out 2 days ago and I am ready to do what I need to fix it.

If you recommend a ribbon cable replacement than I’ll do it. Is there a preferred place to purchase the ribbon?

I found two on amazon the DJI one being double the price. Is it highly recommended I purchase the DJI brand one over a generic one? Also, I only need one of these cables for the replacement, right?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast