DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Obstruction. Auto-restarting.

Update guys -- so before I could get a refund authorized -- DJI already has a new Mavic in the mail to me arriving this Friday. Wondering if I should just sell it on ebay, they're going for like $1500

Can't imagine why you'd want to get rid of it. It's an amazing product. You couldnt pry mine from my lifeless hands. Haha.

Can't imagine why you'd want to get rid of it. It's an amazing product. You couldnt pry mine from my lifeless hands. Haha.
I guess my confidence has been shaken in it's reliability because of the gimbal issue. I only had my Mavic for 72 hours and it had to be sent back, I flew it like 9 times tops...

I think there are some bugs to be fleshed out and DJI rushed this design.

Furthermore and most importantly, DJI has been positively awful to deal with. You can't speak to anyone about your orders, it's either chat or e-mail. My experience earlier today was 72 people waiting in chat, which took an hour to get someone in chat, then after an hour waiting I finally got someone on chat, I asked a question, he said "let me check on that", then immediately terminated the chat.

I called DJI on the phone and the tech support people say they have no visibility into the orders.

I sent an e-mail every day for the last 5 days with an existing case number and have yet to receive a reply.

I was told, no, "promised" on the phone 3 days ago that a manager would call me back to issue me a refund for my Mavic. That never happened.

The Mavic is cool, I'm not arguing that but just wait until something happens and you need help from DJI... then you'll start to feel what I'm feeling.

Hello guys,

After turning on my Mavic today, I am having the Gimbal obstruction issue exactly as shown is this video:

I've been flying it since 1 month and it never happened before.
The only workaround I found is laying down the drone on its right side while turning it on. The gimbal starts correctly and it works until I have to turn it off and on again.

There're any update about this?
Should I send it back to DJI for repairing?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello guys,

After turning on my Mavic today, I am having the Gimbal obstruction issue exactly as shown is this video:

I've been flying it since 1 months and it never happened before.
The only workaround I found is laying down the drone on its right side while turning it on. The gimbal starts correctly and it works until I have to turn it off and on again.

There're any update about this?
Should I send it back to DJI for repair?

Thanks!
What's up - I'm the guy who made that video. The issue is that if it continues to hit the camera against the bezel it will damage the lenses inside and you'll get "jello vision". I'd create an RMA with DJI because I don't think this is going to be fixed with a software update.

Same problem I'm having, I have sent back mine and wait for a repair

I guess my confidence has been shaken in it's reliability because of the gimbal issue. I only had my Mavic for 72 hours and it had to be sent back, I flew it like 9 times tops...

I think there are some bugs to be fleshed out and DJI rushed this design.

Furthermore and most importantly, DJI has been positively awful to deal with. You can't speak to anyone about your orders, it's either chat or e-mail. My experience earlier today was 72 people waiting in chat, which took an hour to get someone in chat, then after an hour waiting I finally got someone on chat, I asked a question, he said "let me check on that", then immediately terminated the chat.

I called DJI on the phone and the tech support people say they have no visibility into the orders.

I sent an e-mail every day for the last 5 days with an existing case number and have yet to receive a reply.

I was told, no, "promised" on the phone 3 days ago that a manager would call me back to issue me a refund for my Mavic. That never happened.

The Mavic is cool, I'm not arguing that but just wait until something happens and you need help from DJI... then you'll start to feel what I'm feeling.

I totally agree. Same issue for me - hardly any flights and all were successful with no crashes of issues. Then suddenly after 3 days of owning it, I get the gimbal obstruction issue - despite no obstruction.

Occasionally it'll work - but mostly not.

This is not a rare one off issue that all products have but seems to be a common issue - common as in not an issue only effecting one or two unlucky people. But obviously there are plenty of lucky people with Mavics that have not yet developed this issue.

Mine only arrived 20th Dec so its not like it was an early version that has now been fixed - this issue remains.

The only thing that I may have done to cause it was remove the label from the back of the camera - there's a yellow tag ( which DJI use to alert you to remove something ). Despite the tag it wasn't easy to remove - but I was super careful as I know how delicate the camera and gimbal are.

It was soon after this the issue first appeared.

I suspect this issue will be solved in the Mavic 2.

In the meantime I've raised a support ticket with DJI to send mine back for repair.

Last edited:
Where do you get this number? That rate would spark riots on YouTube, WIRED, Reddit, and every other forum. Not even 2% of Karma were faulty and they recalled it.

Its a guess - a very, very rough guess - based on postings on this and other forums and on the Internet. And yes it probably is totally wrong!

Obviously I cannot know the true number - only DJI would know this for sure.

But what I can be sure of is this is not a one off issue only effecting a very, very rare number of people.

All products have a few faulty items - but when the same fault appears again and again it would make me if I was the manufacturer do some research and investigation.

The Mavic is very new and so far not shipping in massive numbers - some faults take a while to become obvious.

Anyway please don't take it personally - I am sure your Mavic is perfect.

I totally agree. Same issue for me - hardly any flights and all were successful with no crashes of issues. Then suddenly after 3 days of owning it, I get the gimbal obstruction issue - despite no obstruction.

Occasionally it'll work - but mostly not.

This is not a rare one off issue that all products have but seems to be a common issue - common as in not an issue only effecting one or two unlucky people. But obviously there are plenty of lucky people with Mavics that have not yet developed this issue.

Mine only arrived 20th Dec so its not like it was an early version that has now been fixed - this issue remains.

The only thing that I may have done to cause it was remove the label from the back of the camera - there's a yellow tag ( which DJI use to alert you to remove something ). Despite the tag it wasn't easy to remove - but I was super careful as I know how delicate the camera and gimbal are.

It was soon after this the issue first appeared.

I suspect this issue will be solved in the Mavic 2.

In the meantime I've raised a support ticket with DJI to send mine back for repair.
I would like to mention that DJI replaced my Mavic and I sold it on ebay before Christmas for $1500.00 buy it now, sold in less than 20 minutes. I am going to wait for the P4P or Mavic Rev2

I had the exact same thing with mine. Here's my YouTube link
I sent it back to Dji and they sent me a new one back. Everything is perfect now

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I had the exact same thing with mine. Here's my YouTube link
I sent it back to Dji and they sent me a new one back. Everything is perfect now

I hope the latest batch that goes out on 1/18 is revised. Because in the letter they released they mentioned part of the delay was due to one part being either changed, updated, or simular i cant remember the exact verbage now but i wonder if this was that mentioned revision. Obviously if enough tickets exist they will fix it before tooling another huge batch of more potential faulty drones right? Right? Haha

What's up - I'm the guy who made that video. The issue is that if it continues to hit the camera against the bezel it will damage the lenses inside and you'll get "jello vision". I'd create an RMA with DJI because I don't think this is going to be fixed with a software update.

What do u mean by "it continues to hit the camera against the bezel it will cause this error? Are you referring to the camera hitting the plastic dome?

If someone has had this fixed can they confirm what exact fix dji made to their drone specifically? Hiw did they get it to stop hitting the bezel if thats the issue

I second this. My Mavic was received yesterday at DJI repair. We will see what they say and I'll post DJI's fix / comments here as soon as I hear from them.

Hi jeff what happen finally your mavic pro later to send to DJI REPAIR??

What do u mean by "it continues to hit the camera against the bezel it will cause this error? Are you referring to the camera hitting the plastic dome?

If someone has had this fixed can they confirm what exact fix dji made to their drone specifically? Hiw did they get it to stop hitting the bezel if thats the issue

I had gimbal issues - on start up the gimbal did its dance during which it hit top/bottom or something - lots of hitting noises.

It was repaired - when I say repaired DJI actually sent a new one ( or refurbished one ).

Which no longer has the clunking noises when doing the start up dance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS