DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal overload with Ultimaxx Filters

DocSmall

Reactions
Hey peeps,

sorry for another gimbal overload thread but I only have this problem when I use any of the 3 Ultimaxx filter pack I bought with my Mavic. Has anyone else purchased these filters and had the same problem?

I have tried a couple of different things when fitting the filter.....Do it from start up, add after gimbal start up finished, start up - calibrate gimbal - power down - add and start up, Calibrate gimbal with filter attached.........Everything, nothing works, same message!!

They have "for Mavic" printed on the side but I have a feeling they are too heavy for the gimbal? I may be completely wrong but I get the feeling that the large horrible clunky noise it makes when trying to calibrate gimbal with filter on is not a good thing?!?! :rolleyes:

So finally if no-one has any kind of fix they can suggest, can you suggest some good filters please.

Cheers folks?! Thumbswayup

Sorry dude - that sounds rubbish. Hope they give you your money back!

I have the polar pro filters. Great quality. fit well. No calibration issues.

Spend a bit extra for the polarised ones.

100% agree. . .
1.) Too heavy, install drops the lens to the down position.
2.) If you attempt to cal it hits the side of the gimbal arm so it errors out then too.

I did find that if you start the Mavic then put the lens on it will hold it up but that that extra weight and the fact it won't clear the arm makes it worthless to use.

I contacted the place I bought the "fly more kit" from, they said they only have one type in the WHSE and I must have been shipped the wrong set. Second set arrived very same thing. I asked if I should ship them back and they said no I could just keep them. (What would I do with them, they don't work, guess they would be in the same boat too)

Still waiting on an answer back from them as what they will do. . . .(You might want to contact the place you purchased the kit, the maker needs to stand behind what they sell!!)

100% agree. . .
1.) Too heavy, install drops the lens to the down position.
2.) If you attempt to cal it hits the side of the gimbal arm so it errors out then too.

I did find that if you start the Mavic then put the lens on it will hold it up but that that extra weight and the fact it won't clear the arm makes it worthless to use.

I contacted the place I bought the "fly more kit" from, they said they only have one type in the WHSE and I must have been shipped the wrong set. Second set arrived very same thing. I asked if I should ship them back and they said no I could just keep them. (What would I do with them, they don't work, guess they would be in the same boat too)

Still waiting on an answer back from them as what they will do. . . .(You might want to contact the place you purchased the kit, the maker needs to stand behind what they sell!!)

Wow that totally sucks man!! I did manage to stick it on by holding lens, looked fine, then looked at it thro iPhone and screens shuddering with micro vibrations!! Thanks for feedback man, now I know I'm screwed I'll look for new filter set.

Sorry dude - that sounds rubbish. Hope they give you your money back!

I have the polar pro filters. Great quality. fit well. No calibration issues.

Spend a bit extra for the polarised ones.
Yeah its pretty poor and I have noticed my seller does not stock them anymore! haha, ah well, lesson learned and I'll look for new filters! Thanks for your feedback

Same problem with the Ultimaxx filters. I guess when you buy a bundle you can't expect great quality. Looks like I'll have to invest in some polarized ones. Any suggestions on brands that are a good mix of quality and value?

Same problem with the Ultimaxx filters. I guess when you buy a bundle you can't expect great quality. Looks like I'll have to invest in some polarized ones. Any suggestions on brands that are a good mix of quality and value?

I haven't bought any other filters yet dude, I mean back offshore at work so going to have a look when I'm back home. Suggest you search the threads on here for tips, I'm sure you'll find something helpful

Reactions: t1m0n3
Hello, I get 3 Ultimaxx filers with my mavic, CPL, MCUV and ND2-400 variable filter, they are huge and I'm getting same gimbal overload errors.

I purchased the ultimaxx package from eBay and am currently involved in a conversation with the company. They have offered to send me updated filters but I believe it is just an empty promise. In 3 days I can notify eBay of their scumbagness and they can intervene. I recommend to anybody who owns this product to contact the company immediately so that maybe they will step up. They are still currently selling the same product. Cannot take them on single handed. Please, help a brother out here. About to rampage on some forums...

Ultimaxx offers a pretty “killer deal” on eBay for a fly more package with a lot of accessories and an awesome price. The filters were a selling point. But they are garbage.

I mean ND filters in general. 99% of your filming, the are absolutely useless. Unless you are filming quick sport activities in bright sunlight. Further..... no use. Really

Please continue... Have seen a lot of YouTube videos recommending specific nd filters for specific sunlight and what-not. New to filming game. Old head on learning game.

Aiaiaia.... here we go again

YOU DON'T NEED ND FILTERS unless you're doing footage where it is required to have a low shutter speed.
All a ND filter is doing is making your image darker so you have a lower shutter speed.
That's it.... no more - no less
And when do you need a low shutter speed, when you want smooth motion in a piece of footage.
See it like this...
If you snap an image of a waterfall, you either use a slow shutter speed, then your water looks blurry
If you snap with high shutter speed, the water looks frozen... (thousands of samples on Google)

Now, the human eye doesn't like very fast movements. So, say you're filming a gymnast
When the gymnast makes a movement and you're filming in a high shutter speed, the movement of the gymnast is not nice because due to the shutter speed, all images (1/2000) will make the footage like the gymnast movement are not flowing
When you film at a low shutter speed, the image is much more fluent and nicer for our eye (our brains have more time to process that image)
So, to reduce shutter speed, we need to make sure we have less light going through the lens. With bigger camera's (like my Inspire X5S camera or my Nikon D2sX or D3) you can adjust the aperture to balance perfect between 1/60 and 1/00 of a second. But the Mavic has a fixed aperture so you can't adjust that. And than it can be handy to use an ND filter to bring your aperture some stops down.
I have a set between N4 and N64 and hardly use them.
I am in Africa where it can be really bright but with my aerials and slow flying speed, no need for an ND filter. Even if I have a very high shutter speed.The images come out fine.
And if too bright, you always can reduce saturation (and exposure) in your post production color correction.
My advice, don't use crappy filters. They're just a gimmick and don't give you a better image
If you want to film outdoor sports (motor cross, cycling etc) the Mavic in NOT your flying platform to do that. Whatever people want to make you believe

Hope this helps

Reactions: MrsTreat
YOU DON'T NEED ND FILTERS .....................
My advice, don't use crappy filters. They're just a gimmick and don't give you a better image..............

Hope this helps

When ultimaxx filers are shipped with your mavic pro you don't have much choice. As for using ND filters in general. Is good to learn by playing with stuff yourself then read everything online. I call this fun :D

When ultimaxx filers are shipped with your mavic pro you don't have much choice. As for using ND filters in general. Is good to learn by playing with stuff yourself then read everything online. I call this fun :D
For sure, it is.
But the Mavic is not a professional drone. Not by far. And we should not pretend it is one.
And having that said, most people have no idea on post production what so ever.
So, forums like this are good.

For sure, it is.
But the Mavic is not a professional drone. Not by far. And we should not pretend it is one.
And having that said, most people have no idea on post production what so ever.
So, forums like this are good.

But they should not prevent you from personal fun/learning process. I see mavic as holiday drone and best folding drone out there, also as entry level for more challenging work.

Of course, but if you can prevent people to spend hard earned money on something useless... we should inform them.
If they still buy, then it's up to them.

Again I won't list where I bought my "fly more package" as not sure it was "their fault" the filters did not work.

They sent me a second set which of course had the very same issues, but months ago said they worked with the MFG to correct the issue and would send me replacements in Oct. (Well it is Oct. . . .)

On Oct 9th they thought the new filters were in, they said they would get them shipped to me. (Sent another email just now asking for a update thinking 4 working days is enough time to get a shipping confirmation)

As to filter use, no clue, still learning all that. The main thing I'm looking for is "protection" that will not "ruin" the image. Since these were included in the package it "seemed like a good deal" but we all know how that goes!

****Update**** New filters were in the mail today, they are lighter so the lens does not drop when installed. They have the needed "beveled edge" so they clear the gimbal arm and do not cause the overload error. (PN UM-FK7-MAVPRO)

Last edited:
Thank you for the information VFX. Agreed the mavic is no pro drone, but it’s perfect for my needs and wants. I would still like the best quality images. Any recommendations on a post production program, cheap or free? I’ve seen a lot of different opinions, curious on yours.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki