DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Overloaded on second flight

Interesting read. Good info on the codec ?. Kept hoping for a satisfactory gimble solution. Think she be goin back to mama san. Gotta gremlin from the factory. Good luck on a quick trade.

SKIP TO 2:20 (I was just circling the drain (pun intended lol) while waiting for the gimbal to fail.) Failure at 2:38

I've contacted DJI again...
This time through online chat.

They had me do most of the same stuff, with the addition of downloading Assistant 2 For Mavic and refreshing the firmware. It seemed to work... until it didn't. 6 minutes later.

Here's a sample of good video to Jello. (Shot in 1080p to save space and time)

So now I have sent them screenshots and videos capturing the failure. They should be replying in 24 to 48 hours with a possible remote fix, but I doubt it.

SIDE NOTE
Is this normal? The gimbal rotation wires being exposed, no insulation?
Send it back mate. You should not have to waste your time and efforts like this on a new drone. You’ve spent good money and it should work right out of the box without all the backwards and forwards. If I was you I’d be taking straight back for a swap.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Send it back mate. You should not have to waste your time and efforts like this on a new drone. You’ve spent good money and it should work right out of the box without all the backwards and forwards. If I was you I’d be taking straight back for a swap.

The tough part is that he’ll be without a drone for several weeks. I can understand trying to fix it first.

They look to be intact and normal. Look like little shock absorbers. When it was happening they were shacking like crazy
So @PopsGG found that one of his was further out than the other. He tightened it and the problem went away.

When mine was bad, I could hear it also.

Have you tried cleaning the gimbal with a soft brush? Have you recalibrated the gimbal? These were suggestions from DJI for me. Also make sure FW is up to date... I have no idea how any of this would help, but it's what they suggested... Although, it did NOT help me. YMMV

So @PopsGG found that one of his was further out than the other. He tightened it and the problem went away.

When mine was bad, I could hear it also.

Have you tried cleaning the gimbal with a soft brush? Have you recalibrated the gimbal? These were suggestions from DJI for me. Also make sure FW is up to date... I have no idea how any of this would help, but it's what they suggested... Although, it did NOT help me. YMMV
I honestly haven't troubleshooted it at all yet. It happened once on vacation on a windy day. Then it was fine yesterday. And now today its back with a vengeance. Any other recommendations I should try?

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I honestly haven't troubleshooted it at all yet. It happened once on vacation on a windy day. Then it was fine yesterday. And now today its back with a vengeance. Any other recommendations I should try?

Just got the email from DJI. They're fixing it for free under warranty. I did have a surprise with the assessment also, they are replacing a front arm also. Couldn't tell from the photos but super happy it's not costing me anything!
Screenshot_20200708-170902_Gmail.jpg

This happens to me for the first time after 20 flights. It resolved itself quickly. I also had a disconnect b/w the phone and controller. It connects back after 10 seconds.

The gimbal motor may simply be underpowered and pushing itself too hard to maintain a perfect camera view. It certainly does get very hot even after 5 minutes of rotations on the ground.

It's possible it could be prevented by code but I'd put money on any talk about that internally would kill that idea because people would return the drone in droves when the camera was pacing itself and not perfectly pitch or yawed

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato