DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal problems mid-flight

cole_wez

Reactions
Is anyone having a problem with your gimbal spazing out mid flight and the DJI GO screen/camera turns a transparent purple with lines through it? You can fix it by switching the resolution of the video but it still concerns me and I want to know if there might be a problem with my gimbal.

Haven't seen the purple lines but myself and others have posted about gimbals spazzing mid-flight. Its more like the gimbal goes down and sideways, then tries to reset. Goes completely limp sort of. Videos have been posted and I just captured another video of it happening to me today.
If you can record your experience and post it , it might ring a bell for some folks

Haven't seen the purple lines but myself and others have posted about gimbals spazzing mid-flight. Its more like the gimbal goes down and sideways, then tries to reset. Goes completely limp sort of. Videos have been posted and I just captured another video of it happening to me today.
If you can record your experience and post it , it might ring a bell for some folks

I've had exact same occurrence. Did a recalibration & for now no issues. The why is a mystery.

Reactions: cole_wez
I've had the same spazzing out issue as well. I have had this happen twice now, both just after I received a "Large Wind Velocity" warning - unsure if this is the exact cause or if it is just coincidental.

See the below video I got from my cache (this video deleted itself from the SD card):

Reactions: kneeL and cole_wez
Mnobes.12: Were you using Android?

I switched to iOS and never got the gimbal issue again (but i OFTEN get the high wind velocity - so I think these two are not related)

I switched to iOS and never got the gimbal issue again (but i OFTEN get the high wind velocity - so I think these two are not related)
I imagine that the operating system or application does not have the ability to perform such a movement. This seems like a hardware error.

I imagine that the operating system or application does not have the ability to perform such a movement.
This seems like a hardware error. Mine started to have these errors and they even occurred without any phone connected to the remote.
After that I tried to recalibrate the gimbal and he made a sound like a dentist's drill and the gimbal got so hot I could barely touch it. I turned off the drone immediately and now I'm afraid to turn on and fry the engines of the gimbal.
I made a video where you can see the beginning of the errors in the middle of a flight.
The mavic also started spiraling while returning with the RTH function. After spiraling twice he "stabilized" and continued landing normally but with the gimbal acting strangely.
I do not know what to do. I'm thinking of dismantling the gimbal ... I've done this before when it came with the broken flat cable.
I live in Brazil and here the DJI does not provide warranty so I even changed the flat cable I do not know if the cable may be influencing this problem ...

It would seem that way but my testing and experiences have proven otherwise. Only seen the gimbal spazz-out issue on Android and have not had it happen since switching to iOS.

Based on your video it looks like a different issue than mine and probably hardware or cable-related. Is this happening every time for you? My gimbal issue looks almost exactly like the one mnobes.12 posted

One thing is for sure: I am envious of your beautiful location for filming in Brazil!

I would bet that your previous dismantling of the gimbal and cable replacement probably have something to do with the problems in that video you posted. I would check to make sure it got put back together properly

Last edited:
It would seem that way but my testing and experiences have proven otherwise. Only seen the gimbal spazz-out issue on Android and have not had it happen since switching to iOS.

Based on your video it looks like a different issue than mine and probably hardware or cable-related. Is this happening every time for you? My gimbal issue looks almost exactly like the one mnobes.12 posted

One thing is for sure: I am envious of your beautiful location for filming in Brazil!

I would bet that your previous dismantling of the gimbal and cable replacement probably have something to do with the problems in that video you posted. I would check to make sure it got put back together properly

Not this problem started exactly like the one of you only less prominent, on the last day, soon in the first flights he acted like yours and there on the last flight happened everything that you saw. But previously I have not had similar problems and never had problems with my Android.
The problems I had and many said it was my phone I could test and see that they happened even without a phone connected, so obviously it's not the phone.
I solved my horizon problems, magnetic interference and disconnection by switching usb cable and returning to firmware .400

On the cable I'm sure it was installed correctly since it's incredibly easy to do it. And with the fittings and stickers that come in the cable there is no way to fit it wrong.
And there is the fact that after the exchange of the cable I was able to fly several times without any kind of problem.
Which does not rule out the possibility that the cable has failed ... As soon as I have time I will disassemble the drone again, disconnect the cable and turn on the Drone. If gimbal boots normally then we find the culprit!

With respect to the landscape, yes, I feel very privileged by the nature that surrounds me and this that you can see by the images does not represent 5% of the beauty of the place.
I was preparing to make beautiful pictures but my plans were frustrated by this problem ...

Take the time and come for a stroll here. It's a lot cheaper than you can imagine. The daily lodging at this location is only USD $ 9!

In this place there are 7 waterfalls! And in a radius of 30km you have hundreds of waterfalls and rock formations known as Valley of the Moon, much adventure tourism and to complete here is considered one of the darkest points of the Americas.
In July, astrophotography encounters and cultural meetings usually take place.

Here is a "mystical" place! There is even a place reserved for UFO landing !!!

Search for "Chapada dos Veadeiros" on Google and see how curious this place is.

I am on Android. Xperia Z2 always in airplane mode, doesn't even have a phone number attached to it anymore. I am having a hard time grasping the concept of why OS would lead to this behaviour. What is your reasoning behind this??

Reasoning is the 100s or 1000s of other Android users correlating my own data. I suggest switching to iOS just for a few weeks and draw your own conclusions. You shouldn't have to jump through a ton of hoops before every flight to keep your DJI Go app from crashing, and with iOS I have yet to experience a) app crash or b) gimbal spazz-out

@mnobes.12
I flew with a very cheap Chinese Android device and never had a problem. Tons o people fly with cheap android tablets and phones and they not have a single problem.
I just think that your problem is not related to your phone but to your Drone. Just try another firmware and pay attention! If this issue persist jut call the warranty!

Be careful because you may buy an very expensive device and continue to have problems but with empty pockets ;)

Mine did this twice today, for the first time. I'm on IOS and never had this happen before, on latest version of everything and have made a dozen issue free flights since "upgrading" the FW. It conducted 2 in-flight gimbal calibrations on it's own, no error messages, just started going into cal. Happened once per flight on 2 different batteries.

Has anyone had previous work done on the gimbal? Such as replacement of the ribbon cable or video cable?

Has anyone had previous work done on the gimbal? Such as replacement of the ribbon cable or video cable?
Yes, I already did. It is laborious but it is easy. It requires a lot of attention and I recommend that you film the whole procedure. The hardest part is the flat cable bending.

Yes, I already did. It is laborious but it is easy. It requires a lot of attention and I recommend that you film the whole procedure. The hardest part is the flat cable bending.

Can I ask what issue you were having? And did replacing the cable resolve the issue?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000