DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Quirkiness

Taylor1430

Reactions
I’ve been having a strange issue with my gimbal. A couple of weeks ago, my gimbal went crazy for a few seconds. On the video, it looked like the bird was out of control. I had it in sight and saw it was level and fine. After the few seconds, the gimbal corrected itself.

No further issues with several flights until today. While flying, I noticed the image turn sideways for a moment (again, thought it was the bird). While sideways, I could make out the left front prop. Again, few seconds later, it corrects itself.

A later flight today another issue. This time, in sport mode and hauling. The video feed continued but I lost all gimbal control (it maintained level and wouldn’t move up or down). When this occurred, my recording stopped and I had none of the features/ setting for the camera (similar to what you see when the MP is off). The video continued however so there wasn’t total camera loss. When I slowed down, the gimbal remained locked in that position so now I was seeing the sky in the feed.

Landed and restarted the MP. No further issues after that.

Looking at the gimbal, all the bands are intact and nothing seems amiss. No errors displaying on the app. Gimbal Calibration prior to flight was fine.

Any thoughts on this?

Perfect! Seems to be the issue. Now to figure out the correction. I’m seeing a lot of posts about the 9min mark when recording in 4K. That seems to be the issue here as well with me.

You can try reducing the resolution down from 4k and see if it still does it. 9 minutes of 4k video is alot to edit.

I’ve been having a strange issue with my gimbal. A couple of weeks ago, my gimbal went crazy for a few seconds. On the video, it looked like the bird was out of control. I had it in sight and saw it was level and fine. After the few seconds, the gimbal corrected itself.

No further issues with several flights until today. While flying, I noticed the image turn sideways for a moment (again, thought it was the bird). While sideways, I could make out the left front prop. Again, few seconds later, it corrects itself.

A later flight today another issue. This time, in sport mode and hauling. The video feed continued but I lost all gimbal control (it maintained level and wouldn’t move up or down). When this occurred, my recording stopped and I had none of the features/ setting for the camera (similar to what you see when the MP is off). The video continued however so there wasn’t total camera loss. When I slowed down, the gimbal remained locked in that position so now I was seeing the sky in the feed.

Landed and restarted the MP. No further issues after that.

Looking at the gimbal, all the bands are intact and nothing seems amiss. No errors displaying on the app. Gimbal Calibration prior to flight was fine.

Any thoughts on this?
I had a very similar experience. I was flying about a mile offshore by a lighthouse in Maine and the gimbal started going crazy. I thought I was being harassed by seagulls, so I gained altitude and hightailed it back to dry land. During the flight back there were no problems. I landed, recalibrated, changed batteries and flew again, this time closer to the coast. Low and behold it happened again and I can say categorically that there were no birds present.

Could this have to do with wind? I can envision it being at the limit of its rotation and getting hit by a gust. Could that be it?

As Thunderdrones said in his response to me, do the searches he mentioned. What I was finding from other posts is 4k and lengthy videos at about 9 minutes seems to cause the issue. I stopped filming in 4k and am doing shorter video segments. I also cleared some of my previously recorded videos off of the SD card. I have not had this issue since.

Are you filming 4k or video's over 9 minutes? I'd be curious to know if that is actually behavior.

Reactions: Former Member
Aha! That's my problem!

Sorry about the bad humor.

Has the gimbal reset ever happened before? Twice in one day is more than I have ever heard. I dont think the wind could have caused it, but anything is possible.

Also, did the gimbal completely return to normal during the flight after the 2 resets?

As Thunderdrones said in his response to me, do the searches he mentioned. What I was finding from other posts is 4k and lengthy videos at about 9 minutes seems to cause the issue. I stopped filming in 4k and am doing shorter video segments. I also cleared some of my previously recorded videos off of the SD card. I have not had this issue since.

Are you filming 4k or video's over 9 minutes? I'd be curious to know if that is actually behavior.

Glad you got it straightened out.

I am filming in 4k but in shorter clips. I filmed the whole flight out in one shot. Then switched back and forth between video and photo.

I am filming in 4k but in shorter clips. I filmed the whole flight out in one shot. Then switched back and forth between video and photo.
Do you keep the files from earlier flights on your card? The reason I ask is some of these things seem to be a common denominator. I do know it scared the crap out of me when it happened as I though it was the MP out of control. Fortunately, it was relatively close to me when it occurred and I could see that it was actually level.

Reactions: Former Member
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS