DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Ribbon Cable Replaced - Gimbal still not functioning

robrich22

Reactions
Hi!

I broke the anti-vibration board and the gimbal ribbon cable in a violent crash. Both have been replaced (Fstop labs parts), but now I fear I may have damage a gimbal motor. The gimbal rotates up and down violently as in the video and then does nothing. Camera image is clear. Gimbal calibration fails every time.
Any suggestions/tips would be great!

#1 make sure all your connectors are seated properly until they snap in. It looks like its yawing and pitching ok, try your roll motor connector.

#1 make sure all your connectors are seated properly until they snap in. It looks like its yawing and pitching ok, try your roll motor connector.

Thank you for the reply! I just completely disassembled and re-seated all of the ribbon connections. Same problem. Dang!
Do you think this is a motor problem...or should I try replacing the ribbon cable again?

Ok....I've ordered a new ribbon cable and replaced it and checked all the connections. The new cable is exhibiting the same problem.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I need to replace the whole gimbal and camera assembly?

Well, the good thing is that you started with the cheapest part in your troubleshooting. If you are getting video feed, there is no need to replace the whole gimbal.

Im thinking its your gimbal pitch motor. Yaw motor looks ok, and roll motor centers, but the pitch motor snaps the gimbal too far back. You can try replacing the gimbal assembly and see if that helps. The next culprit could be your gimbal board inside the Mavic.

I sell the gimbal assembly (motors only, no covers) for $85 and the internal gimbal board for the same price.. If you have to replace both, its still gonna be cheaper than buying a whole new gimbal and camera, and you can always sell the spare parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard X
Thank you again for your help!

Video feed is clear. I've attached a picture of the error code. Basically it says "aircraft motor overload".

I think replacing the motors is probably the best step. If this can be done by a regular person, I would like to buy them from you. Send me a PM or whatever is appropriate.
IMG_1280.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_1280.PNG
    IMG_1280.PNG
    331 KB · Views: 25
Im having a similar issue but im not getting any video feed. But my yaw motor is the only one fully working. The pitch motor after it tries to calibrate is very warm. Ive tried to make sure that all 3 ribbon cables are fully seated inside their connectors but to no avail. The video cable doesnt show any sign of a broken connector so im not sure whats the issue there.

To me, the pitch (vertical) motor seems to move normally. I wonder if the optical rotary sensor signal is not getting back to the controller board, or the rotary sensor came loose somehow.

Check for foreign material in the connectors, maybe degrease things with alcohol, and also make sure none of the cables are reversed, if that's possible.

Last edited:
To me, the pitch (vertical) motor seems to move normally. I wonder if the optical rotary sensor signal is not getting back to the controller board, or the rotary sensor came loose somehow.

Check for foreign material in the connectors, maybe degrease things with alcohol, and also make sure none of the cables are reversed, if that's possible.
Ive made sure now 4 times the connectors are free of debris.(the factory cable broke after a crash and i just replaced it so some of the glue was still around the connectors, but thats been removed) the pitch motor seems to move fine powered off but it feels like the ribbon cable is limiting its movement. Most upsetting is the no video issue which seems more expensive.

Im having a similar issue but im not getting any video feed. But my yaw motor is the only one fully working. The pitch motor after it tries to calibrate is very warm. Ive tried to make sure that all 3 ribbon cables are fully seated inside their connectors but to no avail. The video cable doesnt show any sign of a broken connector so im not sure whats the issue there.

The reason youre not getting video feed is probably a broken micro-strand in your silver cable, that's your video line. Also, check the connection of the silver cable on both ends, in the cam body and on the gimbal circuit board.

The flat ribbon cable is responsible for your gimbal movements, so if thats erratic, check your flat cable. Have you changed it yet? Look at it under a magnifying glass.

If all your cables are perfect, your connections are all seated, but youre not getting controllable gimbal movement or video feed, it might be a faulty gimbal control board.

Ive made sure now 4 times the connectors are free of debris.(the factory cable broke after a crash and i just replaced it so some of the glue was still around the connectors, but thats been removed) the pitch motor seems to move fine powered off but it feels like the ribbon cable is limiting its movement. Most upsetting is the no video issue which seems more expensive.
I was actually referring to Bob's gimbal video, where the vertical motor is moving OK, but the initialization is moving three times instead of the normal one time. This makes me think it's not getting a good position indicator back from the vertical gimbal, and perhaps a bad connection.

Hi!

I broke the anti-vibration board and the gimbal ribbon cable in a violent crash. Both have been replaced (Fstop labs parts), but now I fear I may have damage a gimbal motor. The gimbal rotates up and down violently as in the video and then does nothing. Camera image is clear. Gimbal calibration fails every time.
Any suggestions/tips would be great!
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue. I fixed the ribbon cable the first time because of the gimbal overload warning. Now it still says it but doesn't do the wacky camera stuff like before. The image is clearer but the gimbal just isn't smooth. It won't calibrate and gets stuck at 31% every time. I have tried about everything but don't know what to do next. I just want smooth quality picture!

I took it apart multiple times and couldn't get it fixed. I eventually mailed it to Thunderdrones who fixed it for me by gluing in the ribbon cables. Even though I felt them snap into place for some reason my issue persisted. I would recommend him as a repair source...he did a great job.

Reactions: williamtthomas
Hi!

So for me this problem started after I replaced my video cable. (Before the replacement the lack of video was the only issue). No gimbal error and the mavic was flying properly as well. After I replaced the video cable, I am getting this same Gimbal overload issue (gimbal calibration fails also) . It just tries to align itself couple of times and then gets stuck in one position.

I have been reading some comments and one suggestion is the flat ribbon cable replacement. But if the ribbon cable is sending the power for the motor to start and align, would it no mean that the cable is fine? and the problem is elsewhere?

Does anyone have a Known solution for this? (I am in India, so can't send it to US for repair)

Please advice,

SOLVED - I changed both cables (video and flat ribbon) and it dod not help. So I changed the gimbal + camera unit and now it works. Paid about $320 on amazon for a new part. Now flying it again.

So I have this same issue after a heavy impact on the road. The initial power is the same as the video very jerky and over rotates. I orginally replaced the camera then the cables then the whole gimbal now I’ve replaced the whole gimbal board and wobble board complete and still have the same issue. Any other ideas I’ve replaced everything !

Well, the good thing is that you started with the cheapest part in your troubleshooting. If you are getting video feed, there is no need to replace the whole gimbal.

Im thinking its your gimbal pitch motor. Yaw motor looks ok, and roll motor centers, but the pitch motor snaps the gimbal too far back. You can try replacing the gimbal assembly and see if that helps. The next culprit could be your gimbal board inside the Mavic.

I sell the gimbal assembly (motors only, no covers) for $85 and the internal gimbal board for the same price.. If you have to replace both, its still gonna be cheaper than buying a whole new gimbal and camera, and you can always sell the spare parts.
Do you still sell the gimbal assembly? I know it's a long shot but I had to try...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo