DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal swapping and features of each gimbal.

Huckleberry

Reactions
Good morning all.

I’ve been debating on purchasing an additional gimbal to swap between zoom and 2P but need to make sure I know all the details before making that decision. The unknown to me that I’m looking for knowledge on is, if I swap gimbals, are all the programming features of each individual camera contained within that portion gimbal? If I swap from a 2P to a zoom gimbal, are all the zoom features available just by swapping gimbals? I understand I’ll need to calibrate I’m just wanting to make sure all features will be available.

Thanks guys.

Reactions: mereflyer
I would caution against this plan of action. Even though the gimbals "can" be swapped out, they are not easily interchangeable as one would see on an Inspire 2 for instance. There is disassembly and assembly needed. Each time you would risk damage to the sensitive gimbal components. If you were looking for a one-time swap then that's fine, but the M2 is not meant to have the gimbals constantly swapped in and out.

I would caution against this plan of action. Even though the gimbals "can" be swapped out, they are not easily interchangeable as one would see on an Inspire 2 for instance. There is disassembly and assembly needed. Each time you would risk damage to the sensitive gimbal components. If you were looking for a one-time swap then that's fine, but the M2 is not meant to have the gimbals constantly swapped in and out.

Do you happen to know the answer to the original question, btw?

Do you happen to know the answer to the original question, btw?
Yes all features will be available. The airframe and internal circuitry of the M2 is identical for both. So swapping the M2P gimbal out and putting in a M2Z gimbal will give you all the zoom capabilities of that camera/gimbal.

Yes all features will be available. The airframe and internal circuitry of the M2 is identical for both. So swapping the M2P gimbal out and putting in a M2Z gimbal will give you all the zoom capabilities of that camera/gimbal.

Thanks!
As someone who is an engineer in electronics, the swap doesn't seem particularly complex, fwiw.

After reading on here of a problem that an individual was having after swapping from a zoom to a 2P, i think i'll stay away from my original idea for a while. At least until i'm more knowledgeable on the possible issues that may arise after the swap. Figure i'll keep my eyes on the different forums for a while and see what issues others have when swapping. By YouTube standards the swap seems extremely easy and I don't think I would have any trouble doing it. But I fear messing up some programming or something at which I would not be able to fix.

After reading on here of a problem that an individual was having after swapping from a zoom to a 2P, i think i'll stay away from my original idea for a while. At least until i'm more knowledgeable on the possible issues that may arise after the swap. Figure i'll keep my eyes on the different forums for a while and see what issues others have when swapping. By YouTube standards the swap seems extremely easy and I don't think I would have any trouble doing it. But I fear messing up some programming or something at which I would not be able to fix.
Can you provide some links?

This was the thread I was thinking about.

This was the thread I was thinking about.

Thanks, I saw that one

As I've purchased the gimbal for the Zoom to try on my Pro. I've decided the best course of action is to attach it and see if it works. If there is a software mismatch then it comes off and the Pro gimbal goes back on. Unless there are cross threaded screws or a damaged connector this should minimize any risk. I'll see when I get the new gimbal in (sometime at the end of Jun or beginning of July).

I did the same thing, Pro to Zoom swap. No problems whatsoever. I will recommend you have a thin flat tool to lightly lift the ribbon connector though (the 1/8 craftsman flat head worked perfect). There are 6 screws (don't over tighten. Takes less than 5 minutes at my desk. Do not loose a screw, I don't know why but Dji used a one off screw for the M2 gimbal mount.

As for the retention of camera settings, I am not much help (left everything in auto mode). I would also recommend doing a gimbal calibration after each swap (my M2 never asked for it, but it doesn't hurt)

Links to gimble swap:

change mavic 2 pro gimble to zoom - Bing video

mavic 2 pro to zoom gimble swap - Bing video

mavic 2 pro to zoom gimble swap - Bing video

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member