DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Tracking: Bull's Eye wanders off

StanTGM

Reactions
Hello, fellow Goggle users!

I did a number of flights this evening with the goggles. Now that I have the right readers they are a real blast!!!

One problem, though: in gimbal tracking mode the bull's eye wandered off after a while - always towards the right of the screen. So if I want to look in the direction the camera/drone is facing (i.e. look straight ahead), I had to turn my head to the right. It did not make flying with the Goggles impossible, but it felt a bit uneasy, like me and the drone being out of sync. It also meant that looking left required me to turn my neck to the left just a bit beyond normal- For looking right I had to turn my head right as far as my neck allowed. As I said, it felt like I was a bit out of sync with the camera (and drone).

Any of you have observed this behaviour? If so, any solutions how to deal with it?

because you are passing the gimbals limit when looking left or right. There is an option to recenter the position in the menu.

Can try calibrating the goggles' IMU too.

Anyway the way head tracking is implemented is really not up to what would be expected compared to existing FPV systems.

Hi have you been able to sort this issue out? I'm having it too

Just did a couple of flights today with the goggles and yes, the problem still exists. I'm on the latest firm and software, so DJI apparently didn't address it.

There are two solutions: switch gimbal tracking on and off. That's a sure way to centre the crosshairs, but disrupts the FPV flight experience.

Or just move your head left and right fast (all the way to or beyond gimbal limits) a couple of times. That also kind of centers the crosshairs and is less disruptive.

Last edited:
What is IMU?
An IMU is a single unit in the electronics module which collects angular velocity and linear acceleration data which is sent to the main processor. An IMU housing contains two separate sensors. The first sensor is the accelerometer triad

Reactions: StanTGM
Just did a couple of flights today with the goggles and yes, the problem still exists. I'm on the latest firm and software, so DJI apparently didn't address it.

There are two solutions: switch gimbal tracking on and off. That's a sure way to centre the crosshairs, but disrupts the FPV flight experience.

Or just move your head left and right fast (all the way to or beyond gimbal limits) a couple of times. That also kind of centers the crosshairs and is less disruptive.
Hi,
Do you still have this issue,and use the same method to re center?
i have found myself having to face a completely different direction in order to see the cross and actual direction I’m flying.
using the remote to re centre resets the camera direction,but not the the position of the goggles when head tracking is on,flying in follow mode which I prefer for filming.
I will try moving extreme side to side quickly on my next flight and also switching off and on head tracking,but it’s not an ideal solution,if you have found any permanent fix I would appreciate your comment.
Not read too many other comments regarding this issue,and it can become a little dangerous flying with your remote in your hands pointing one way and your head and body twisted in another direction ?
At least after finding your post I have 2 options to try,as I almost always use the goggles,unless filming something close up in slow mode nearby where I’m standing.
I might also mention,I have both the SC and remote,and also both white and RE version goggles.
I will experiment more,but just wondered if you had found a fix,be it re calibrate or whatever.
cheers,
jim

Hi,
Do you still have this issue,and use the same method to re center?
i have found myself having to face a completely different direction in order to see the cross and actual direction I’m flying.
using the remote to re centre resets the camera direction,but not the the position of the goggles when head tracking is on,flying in follow mode which I prefer for filming.
I will try moving extreme side to side quickly on my next flight and also switching off and on head tracking,but it’s not an ideal solution,if you have found any permanent fix I would appreciate your comment.
Not read too many other comments regarding this issue,and it can become a little dangerous flying with your remote in your hands pointing one way and your head and body twisted in another direction ?
At least after finding your post I have 2 options to try,as I almost always use the goggles,unless filming something close up in slow mode nearby where I’m standing.
I might also mention,I have both the SC and remote,and also both white and RE version goggles.
I will experiment more,but just wondered if you had found a fix,be it re calibrate or whatever.
cheers,
jim
I have had the white goggles for about six months now and I see this same issue, the crosshairs wander around. I have not tried “on the fly” re-centering techniques but will the next time I use them. I guess I have been ignoring the issue. BTW, you might want to start a new thread.

Hi Jim,

by now I did over 200 flights with the RE Goggles and MP, and unfortunately, the x-hairs centering problem still exists. I learnt to minimise it by moving my head more gently, and I try not to go beyond the physical range of the camera gimbal. The more often you reach the limit of gimbal movement, the more the x-hairs wander off center.

Not ideal, but I got used to it. And the goggles still give me that satisfying 1st person flying experience - I will only retire them if and when DJI comes up with an updated version of the goggles (which hopefully takes care of the range problem with the MP2).

Fly safely!
Stan

Hi Jim,

by now I did over 200 flights with the RE Goggles and MP, and unfortunately, the x-hairs centering problem still exists. I learnt to minimise it by moving my head more gently, and I try not to go beyond the physical range of the camera gimbal. The more often you reach the limit of gimbal movement, the more the x-hairs wander off center.

Not ideal, but I got used to it. And the goggles still give me that satisfying 1st person flying experience - I will only retire them if and when DJI comes up with an updated version of the goggles (which hopefully takes care of the range problem with the MP2).

Fly safely!
Stan
Thanks for replying,I’ve not had the opportunity to try your advice,due to a lot of rain,but will be out asp as weather permits.
yes I’ve been gazing to the sides beyond what the gimbal comfortable with,when I had the sun hood on it prevented me doing this,but I assumed with it removed I had a much better view,and the gimbal would limit the limit of goggles head track movement the camera was capable of.
That was really the only thing spoiling the amazing goggles experience,hopefully I now know how to reset the gimbal with the drone direction.
You mentioned a range problem,my re goggles had to go back for repair,as the range was pathetic,that is now fixed,my white goggles I bought 2nd hand on eBay didn’t have this issue,they can plug into the Hdmi of the smart controller for a two person trip.
I bought the NLD software hack to permanently allow full FCC range and signal strength, (fantastic if you can find somewhere private to exploit the extra distance safely )?
wish it was available for my mini also,instead of the floater location hack that’s a bit of a pain.
cheers Stan.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929