DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal won't work with ND filter

Geo

Reactions
If I attach a ND filter and the weight of it prevents the gimbal from working properly, does that mean it is a crap filter?

Not really but some NDs work better than others weight wise. Most new ones for MP are lighter in weight.
With others you need to start up without the filter then attach.
What brand are you using?

Reactions: Geo
Possibly not.
The actual filter side of things may be 100% accurate but the balance or the weight of the casing the filter is housed in is not suitable.Polar pro who are renowned for quality filters experienced issues with their first Mavic filters.This has now been ironed out and the polar pro filters work well with the mavic.
Search for msinger's post that provides a list of suitable filters.

Which filters are you using?

Got to make sure they are on properly also. I have neweer filters that calibrate while on no probs. BUT once I didn't put it on properly and the calibration failed. Pushed it on properly and that was fine.

Reactions: MrsTreat
I had the same issue when I first got mine...it wasn't completely pushed on, and there's very little clearance around the side, and the filter was hitting the gimbel support. Pushed on, voila!

Got to make sure they are on properly also. I have neweer filters that calibrate while on no probs. BUT once I didn't put it on properly and the calibration failed. Pushed it on properly and that was fine.

Hey you guys always come up with the answer. Mike Ainsworth said, start the Mavic and then attach it. Works perfectly!
Thanks everyone.

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
I had the same issue when I first got mine...it wasn't completely pushed on, and there's very little clearance around the side, and the filter was hitting the gimbel support. Pushed on, voila!
Yep, and I think if the weight is off balance it will throw the calibration. I have freewell filter too which calibrate fine when on (and seated properly).

Possibly not.
The actual filter side of things may be 100% accurate but the balance or the weight of the casing the filter is housed in is not suitable.Polar pro who are renowned for quality filters experienced issues with their first Mavic filters.This has now been ironed out and the polar pro filters work well with the mavic.
Search for msinger's post that provides a list of suitable filters.
This is a very common problem with ND's on mavic during gimbal initialization.
the new Polar Pros / cinima series avoid this issue and can be used during on state.
here are another two alternative that seem to be a bit less expensive:
DJI Mavic Pro Lens Filter Protector HD UV CPL Star ND2 4 8 16 32
DJI Mavic Pro Lens Filter Protector MC/UV/CPL/Star ND 2, 4, 8, 16, 32

If I attach a ND filter and the weight of it prevents the gimbal from working properly, does that mean it is a crap filter?

Check out freewell gear. My filters are great.... clear protects lens, ND 8 great allrounder.. ND 1000 great for beach or waterfalls in bright light. Always try to keep the sun behind you (if practical) watch out for lens flare, as it ruins a continuous shot and editing can only do so much.

Taken with the Freewell ND1000
smallDJI_0919.jpg

I saw on an Amazon product page for Mavic Pro filters that you're only supposed to seat the filter on to the gold band; any further down, and that's what is causing the gimbal error to occur. Due to the fact that we have thunder storms rolling my way keeps me from going out and testing this. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661