DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimble tilt when Pro II is off

KramerMD

Reactions
I have a newly replaced Pro 2 from DJI.
Since I got it, about 8 months ago, when the drone is off the camera tilts upward.
This makes it difficult to place the protective cover on the drone.
See picture attached.
Is there a way to recalibrate it from the computer or remote for it to stay straight when the drone is turned off?

Attachments

• Mavic 2 Pro Camera tilt upwards.jpg
    Mavic 2 Pro Camera tilt upwards.jpg
    965.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Calibrate the camera, and also for good measure calibrate the GPS, compass, IMU, and all anti-collision sensors, using DJI Assistant 2 FOR MAVICS. The older version of DJI Assistant 2 will NOT successfully calibrate the anti-collision sensors on the Mavic 2 Pro. I am so certain that your drone's upward camera tilt issue will be resolved by a full calibration of all the above-mentioned items that I will eat a bug live on Facebook if it turns out that I am wrong.

Reactions: KramerMD
Calibration has nothing to do with the camera's position when the drone is off. I put my gimbal protector on before turning the drone off.

DJI shows to versions.
Which do you recommend?

1. Assistant 2 for Mavics 2020-08-05 release date
or
2. Assistant 2 for Consumer Drones Series 2023-09-25 release date (This one says specifically for Mavic 2)

DJI shows to versions.
Which do you recommend?

or
2. Assistant 2 for Consumer Drones Series 2023-09-25 release date (This one says specifically for Mavic 2)
Calibration will not help you here.

Reactions: sarahb
DJI shows to versions.
Which do you recommend?

or
DJI Assistant 2 for Mavics is the one you want. DJI doesn't make this distinction clear in its instructions on calibration.

I have a newly replaced Pro 2 from DJI.
Since I got it, about 8 months ago, when the drone is off the camera tilts upward.
This makes it difficult to place the protective cover on the drone.
See picture attached.
Is there a way to recalibrate it from the computer or remote for it to stay straight when the drone is turned off?
With no power to the gimbal, the Pro camera is slightly back-heavy. I have both Pro and Zoom and this is normal.
Putting the gimbal cover on is a fiddle with both but you can hold the camera stable and in the correct position to get them correctly located, it's a knack you will develop with a bit of time, patience and experimentation.

Waste of time. Sensor information is available in the app and will indicate any issues that require attention.
My failure to calibrate the collision avoidance sensors on my Mavic 1 Pro resulted in the drone abruptly stopping and then lurching forward repeatedly during waypoint missions, leading to two instances in which the drone's battery ran so low that the drone was only a couple of minutes away from abrupt descent in a forced landing while above tropical rain forest over a mile from home.

Because I always disable all collision sensors on my drones to maximize airspeed and distance covered during waypoint missions, I initially didn't bother to calibrate the vision sensors on any of my drones, wrongly assuming that de-selecting those sensors meant I could sidestep the laborious sensor calibration process. It took that second near loss of the drone due to those random uncommanded stops that occurred during waypoint missions, before I finally decided to go the whole hog and calibrate everything listed in the manual, purely on a hunch.

The result of that comprehensive calibration was nothing short of startling. The drone camera's intermittent skewed horizon issue vanished, the uncommanded stops during waypoint missions never recurred, and the control input response of the drone suddenly became buttery smooth and precise like the flight characteristics of a brand-new drone. Calibrating all those aspects of a drone is time-consuming and stupefyingly tedious, however, given that no adverse effect has ever been caused by observing a meticulous calibration regime for DJI drones, the numerous benefits of doing so make the process well worth the time and trouble taken, at least in my experience.

My failure to calibrate the collision avoidance sensors on my Mavic 1 Pro resulted in the drone abruptly stopping and then lurching forward repeatedly during waypoint missions, leading to two instances in which the drone's battery ran so low that the drone was only a couple of minutes away from abrupt descent in a forced landing while above tropical rain forest over a mile from home.
Because I always disable all collision sensors on my drones to maximize airspeed
I propose your issue had nothing to do with the need to calibrate. After all, you said you "disable" the OV sensors anyway.

meticulous calibration regime for DJI drones, the numerous benefits of doing so make the process well worth the time and trouble taken, at least in my experience.
Not true and is completely unnecessary. If/when the drone needs calibration, you will receive a message within the app.

Reactions: sarahb
I agree with you that intuitively the calibration of obstacle sensors should not be necessary if those sensors are disabled before launching a DJI drone, yet, bafflingly, my experience with a Mavic 1 Pro has been that those sensors MUST be calibrated regardless of whether or not they are active during a fight. Two near losses of the same drone were enough to convince me that there is no way around calibrating the optical sensors on that drone.

If for the sake of argument, I concede that my Mavic 1 Pro might be a rare, one-off oddball that rolled off the production line requiring regular obstacle avoidance sensor calibration while other examples of the same model drone work just fine without that calibration, I would still recommend those calibrations are carried out by all Mavic 1 Pro owners since the manufacturer's user manual does call for the calibration, which thus far is not known to cause any degradation in the flight characteristics of the drone.

In other words, if one has the time available to thoroughly calibrate a DJI drone, no harm will arise from that decision, while conversely a few unexpected flight performance improvements may materialize after that calibration.

Calibration has nothing to do with the camera's position when the drone is off. I put my gimbal protector on before turning the drone off.
Perhaps I am wrong but I power off the drone before changing anything on the camera. I worry the auto-levelling will fight my movements of the camera if the power is on.

When powered off, I carefully hold the camera when the drone is on a stable surface and try to keep the camera steady as I either put on an ND filter or the storage cover.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne