DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Glare from stock DJI M2P Hasselblad filter

supergimp

Reactions
Has anyone else noticed strange glare patterns from the stock filter that comes on the M2P? I generally fly with a ND filter, but the other night I was flying around sunset and noticed at certain angles I got a really unattractive glare/reflection in some of my images. I'm certain it's glare as it responds to angle to light and as a test I put on a multicoated ND4 filter and couldn't recreate the effect. I'm curious if using an aftermarket ND) multicoated filter might alleviate the issue on the rare case where it happens. It just seems to me that perhaps there is no glare reduction on the stock filter.

Below is an example that demonstrates the glare/reflection (center 1/3 of the sky). This is straight out of camera and I realize the exposure isn't great, but this was while I was adjusting things and best shows the anomaly.

Thinking about trying an aftermarket ND0 filter with multicoating.

DJI_0213.JPG

Hm... had problems / effects like this in postproduction 10 or 15 years ago when combining 3 differently exposed photos into one panorama. But this is one photo directly from your drone and no panorama, consisting of 3 photos (left looks underexposed, middle and right with higher exposure), right? because from the viewing angle, it looks to wide to be just one photo.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience concerning filters on drones, so maybe you're perfectly right and it's a faulty filter... but the zig-zag line confuses me, because a reflection should have a straight line.

It's just a single photo and I could see it on screen come and go as I slightly adjusted yaw. I agree the shape is weird which led me to believe it was perhaps an internal reflection between the actual lens and the filter surface in just the right light. Also the nature of this particular photo, when I compare to one without the anomaly, the exposure pretty much matches on the extreme right and left. This was right at sunset and the dynamic range was extremely wide with a blown out sun on the right and crushed blacks on the left, even without the issue in the center.

You're right though, it does look like a poor panorama stitch. This is just a single exposure.

I got a little obsessed with troubleshooting in the air and unfortunately was shooting stills as jpeg instead of raw (and never intended to use this for anything) so I'm not sure how much dynamic range was even there.

Again, it's pretty rare and requires exactly the right conditions, but it s indeed a perplexing one.

Ive personally not had any issues but I have seen a couple of stills with a strange lens flare, more like a white line than a flare

That doesn't look like glare to me because it's symmetrical despite a huge brightness variation on the left and right sides. Glare or lens flare just doesn't look like that. Can you reproduce this at will?

Reactions: fozzzy
Ive personally not had any issues but I have seen a couple of stills with a strange lens flare, more like a white line than a flare
I actually noticed such a smooth white line on footage of my first testflight with my M2P. But it‘s hardly noticeable, coming from top of the image... sun was standing high above the drone, very flat angle to the glass cover of the camera.

Reactions: fozzzy
That is the oddest looking lens flare I've ever seen. It looks like a very poorly done pano. What's weird is how the two "lines" are almost identically shaped and pretty much divide the photo evenly into 3rds.

Last edited:
Reactions: noosaguy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb