DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GO 4 App Crashing Out

Garatshay

Reactions
I experienced my first examples of Go4 crashing today in mid flight - twice. In a bizarre twist, the flight log starts after the second re-start, at about 17 minutes into the flight. The only good news - the drone remained in place - and recording. Range was less than 1,000’ and plain sight, with no interference from wireless etc. What’s going on ?

The only good news - the drone remained in place - and recording.
Losing the app doesn't affect the drone or your control signal.
You still have full control even without the app.
What’s going on ?
It's impossible to say but common causes are obstacles blocking the signal or an underperforming or poorly configured phone/tablet having trouble keeping up with the app.

Thanks for contributing ideas. I was using a Smart Controller, so I think we can rule out the latter. It was a quiet, open area, so interference is unlikely, but not impossible. I’ve never experienced the phenomenon in the area before.

If you have an SD card in the SC, that might cause app crashes if the SD is too slow or defective.
That would especially be true if you're caching to SD.

I had a flaky Ultra that caused issues with my P3A recordings, but did ok in my HTC for a while. Then my Acronis mobile backups started failing when they reached certain videos stored on the SD.
Also worked for a short while in my S20 FE, but then had problems there too.

If you have an SD card in the SC, that might cause app crashes if the SD is too slow or defective.
That would especially be true if you're caching to SD.

I had a flaky Ultra that caused issues with my P3A recordings, but did ok in my HTC for a while. Then my Acronis mobile backups started failing when they reached certain videos stored on the SD.
Also worked for a short while in my S20 FE, but then had problems there too.
Now that's an interesting idea - It's a Samsung card and I'm unsure of its qualities. I will try a different, smaller -capacity card and see what's going on. To say that it's unsettling to lose the screen and app in mid-flight is an understatement....

I went down this rabbit hole back in November 2020.

I would look down and see the home screen for the DJI GO app while flying the drone. The drone was completely controllable at this point.

Through experimentation, I noticed it mostly occurred when trying to start recording video. I'd hit the record button and bang - app crashed to DJI GO home screen. Other times, it would randomly crash. I would be flying and watching the drone, look down to frame the shot and see the DJI Go home screen.

Every time, within a few seconds, I could restart the app and everything was back to normal.

The app crashing was so frequent, however, it made the drone nearly unusable. Probably 40-50% of the time I tried to start video recording, the app would crash. I had to figure this out.

At the time, I was running the following versions:
Smart Controller/RC: 01.00.0820
Mavic2Pro: 01.00.0670
DJI Go App: 4.3.36

I had purchased the setup in Sep 2020 and everything worked fine until early November. I had logged tons of time at this point.

Some things I tried:

-I updated to DJI Go 4.3.37 - No change.
-I had heard a full memory card/bad memory card could cause app crashes. Cleaned/formatted - No change. Different card - no change.

After further research, I learned that RC v.820 had been released after I purchased it. While I don't remember specifically updating to .820, this seemed a likely culprit as the crashes simply started up out of the blue. My policy at the time was to accept all updates that showed up.

The only way to downgrade the firmware is through DJI Assistant.

Through much pain and internet digging, I was able to get DJI Assistant installed on my MacBook and working. I downgraded the RC to the previous version - v.700.

Problem solved.

I have not update the SC firmware since. They are at least one version past RC v.820 and I had recently considered upgrading.

First problem is that I can't run DJI Assistant on my new MacBook w/M1 chip....yet. In order for Assistant to work, someone created a piece of software for MacBook's that facilitated the software functioning, but it doesn't work with M1. This is when I really understood how crappy DJI is with customer service, etc. It's just simply unacceptable that they don't have functioning software for both Windows and Mac.

Second problem is that DJI only provides the last couple of versions of firmware. I used DJI Assistant on someone elses computer and the list of versions didn't go back to v.700.

If the app crashes are still there, I can't revert back to v.700 anymore and I am hesitant to upgrade because of that.

There is another thread where this happened to a new DJI owner at night. He apparently flew into into the water it looks like. What he thought was a complete disconnect, was likely an app crash. He was using DJI Fly 4 and MA2. You have to read down through the thread to see that it appears to be an app crash.

I was considering taking the leap and upgrading anyway, but at this point after reading your post. I think I will hold off. It would be great if a new memory card fixes your issues, but I suspect it's the SC firmware/DJI App combination.

Anyone have this app crash issue running a standard controller and iOS or Android??

Reactions: Gringorio
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BugHunter