DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Goggles and Mavic Air issues

pnowicki

Reactions
I recently got the Mavic Air and Goggles combo. I'm a long time DJI customer with originally multiple purchases of the Naza, Phantom Vision+, Phantom 3Pro and now the Mavic Air with the Goggles. I'm pretty frustrated with the Goggles and their application on the Mavic Air. I'm actually wondering what the point of them is at this stage. First of all the Goggle options are not there and that creates issues.
For instance the (HD) option is simply not there for me to be able to select the resolution of the googles. They are stuck in the 720P mode. Of course then this mode is selected the video footage on the mavi is limited to 1080P and photo aspect ratio is set to 16:9. So this effectively makes the goggles useless for any type of quality video and photo work since the video can not be recorded at 4K and photos can not be taken at the full 12MP resolution on the Mavic SD card. The idea of the goggles for me was not for the fun aspects of FPV flying but being able to frame my shots with better precision, which they are useless for as far as Im concerned due to the resolution limitation.
Also, My goggles do not display all of the inteligent flight modes. I see all the flight modes on my phone when connected to the Mavic Air. On the goggles I only see the (tap fly) inteligent flight mode. Why are all of the other modes missing? Why is this? Why on the phone but not on the goggles?
The fact that one needs to connect to the DJIGo4 app on the phone first then swap to the goggles to get any range on the aircraft is a major inconveiniece.
Is DJI working on firmware solutions for these issues?
Lastly, why is there no focus adjustment on these? I must say this is a big issue for me as well. I can not see the text clearly due to this focus issue.
Do any of the other Mavic Air users find these same issues? Any thoughts on whether these will be rectified?
Thanks,

Everything you mentioned is just the limitations, currently. Doubt they will change most of them. The only thing I would question is not filming in 4k. I believe if you set your resolution to 4k in the phone app first and then switch to the goggles and hit record, it should shoot in 4k. haven't tried this myself though. Mavic Pro plays nicer with the goggles. Kind of sucks, but if the goggles are a big requirement for you, maybe try swapping for the MP

Nope. You can set up the resolution to 4K on the phone app and as soon as you connect the goggles, it drops to 1080p. Goggles are not a big requirement, but I bought them for those specific reasons and therefore I find them pretty useless at the moment. I wish DJI was more forthcoming of these limitations so that customers don't get roped in to buy equipment they did not fully integrate. They sell the goggles as a package with the mavic air but they did not integrate the goggles fully for the use with the mavic air.

I too am frustrated with Magic Air and goggles. There is a lag in giggle display an sometimes I lose video. I traded my Pro for this! Bad move. When the Msvic 2 comes out I will get rid of the Air quickly!

I am a newbie, and thought buying the goggles at the same time as the M Air was a good package. I can’t link them at all, and judging by the above comments I will sending them back.
Intructions useless, got to watch you tube. No focus, uncomfortable with glasses. Very disappointed.

I am a newbie, and thought buying the goggles at the same time as the M Air was a good package. I can’t link them at all, and judging by the above comments I will sending them back.
Intructions useless, got to watch you tube. No focus, uncomfortable with glasses. Very disappointed.
Are you connecting them via the USB-A port on the controller? They do not connect wirelessly to the Mavic Air, only the Mavic Pro.

Thanks. No the instructions said link to the aircraft, so if I do, what do I do then?
(The instructions in the googles showed a cable, which the customer support people said should be a micro to micro usb cable not supplied.)

USB-A to micro USB cable. USB-A is the port on the bottom of controller. micro USB is on the headstrap under a rubber cover.

FEMit, thanks very much
I have now done 6 updates and will try to connect again.

FEMit, thanks very much
I have now done 6 updates and will try to connect again.
You can also buy diopter lenses that are specially made to fit inside the goggles if you know your eye perscription. Also, you cannot connect a phone/tablet at the same time as goggles with the MA. what I do is connect phone with the side USB cable. turn on the drone/controller/dji app. then unplug the side USB cable and then plug in the usb-A cable into the bottom port of the controller (micro USB end to the goggles). this also bypasses the 50 meter limit DJI enforces if you only connect to the goggles, without connecting a phone/tablet first.

Do a search on this forumn, many people have explained these steps in far greater and better detail than me :)

Reactions: Croc End
Nope. You can set up the resolution to 4K on the phone app and as soon as you connect the goggles, it drops to 1080p. Goggles are not a big requirement, but I bought them for those specific reasons and therefore I find them pretty useless at the moment. I wish DJI was more forthcoming of these limitations so that customers don't get roped in to buy equipment they did not fully integrate. They sell the goggles as a package with the mavic air but they did not integrate the goggles fully for the use with the mavic air.

It's been a while, but today I was randomly messing around with my goggles, and I saw that you CAN film in 4K/2.7K using just the goggles. There is a sort of hidden settings section within the goggles menu.

Once you connect your goggles to the MA, look at the three menu options at the bottom right of the screen. With one finger on the touch pad, swipe down to the bottom option, for camera recording. You will probably see the record botton by default, but notice that there are triangles to the left and right of the button. If u swipe one finger forward or backward one or two times, you will see a settings menu for the camera appear. Tap this menu and inside you will be able to adjust camera resolution. I tested recording in 4K/2.7K and uploaded the files to my computer. Definitely said it recorded at the proper resolution.

Hope this helps and hopefully my explanation wasn't confusing.

I too just bought the MA and RE goggles. Agree with all the posts above. Love the goggles so hopefully some of these things will be addressed with a firmware update.

Having the phone connected at the same time would be my #1 request and seems doable. Also wish I could set the goggles to 1080p viewing like the other Mavics, instead of just 720p.

I believe we should direct our disappointments and wishes to the DJI support to be fixed in the future firmware updates!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000