DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Goggles RE- Reply Letter of Explanation to DJI Seeking HELP

Trained Ape

Reactions
Benz,
Thank You for contacting me back. I am Not a happy customer at this point!

First of all, I travel for business. I may only get home 30 to 40 days out of a year. I made this order knowing that the merchandise would be waiting at my neighbors house for when I returned home. Fortunately I got home one or two days after the merchandise arrived. I immediately went to work trying to update the Smart Controller without success. After 8 or 9 hours I gave up and started trying to set up the goggles. It took me about 3 or 4 hours just to activate the goggles!

I was working off of the downloaded manual from the DJI website. I exactly followed the directions. Unable to get the Smart Controller or the Goggles RE updated I packed them up and brought them with me as I left home 16 days ago and went back to work anywhere USA. I did not bring the DJI Goggles Racing Edition OcuSync Air Unit with me. It is at my house in Texas.

Yesterday, 5/18/19, I had half the day for myself and I went back to work on trying to update the Smart Controller. After 4 hours of trying different things I was able to do so.
I then started trying to get the Goggles to function. I used the DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.8 and confirmed that the Goggles RE had the latest update. I believe it was version 0700.

I had confirmed that both the Mavic Pro and the Mavic Zoom had the latest updates. I linked both aircraft to the Smart Controller that had been updated earlier that day. I started with one of the two aircraft and attempted to link per the directions without success after many attempts.
I then tried many variations of the prescribed linking method without success.
I then took the second aircraft and repeated what I had done with the first aircraft without success.

Having failed with both aircraft I uninstalled and reinstalled DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.8 and started the procedure all over again without success. I sought help on the DJI Forum and read some very old post that suggested the proper DJI Assistant be used. I went to the DJI web-sight and attempted download DJI Assistant 2 v1.2.4 several times without success. I uninstalled DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.8, that had previously worked, and attempted to download DJI Assistant 2 v1.2.4 several times without success. I then SUCCESSFULLY reinstalled DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.8 on my MacBook Pro.

1. I SUCCESSFULLY uninstalled and reinstalled DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.8.
2. I was unable to install DJI Assistant 2 v1.2.4.
3. I was unable to confirm the firmware version installed in the goggles as I could not find any details on the goggles menu.
4. I tried both the on screen linking function and the linking button by the return button on the bottom of the goggles.
5. Using DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.8 I confirmed and refreshed the installation of Goggle version 0700 several times.

On both aircraft I tried linking the goggles;
1. Linking the aircraft, Smart controller and goggles as prescribed in the manuals directions.
2. Linking the aircraft and goggles only.
3. Linking the smart Controller and goggles only.
4. Pressing the link function on the aircraft, smart controller and the goggles at the same time.
5. I did factory reset on all devices and attempted all previous steps several times using, both or separately, the on screen linking function and the linking button.
6. I tried to link the devises out in a vacant field away from any metal objects and any other radio signals.

Having tried to link to 2 separate aircraft I can only assume that the problem is not with the aircraft. That leaves the Smart Controller or the goggles as the malfunctioning unit.
Or it could be that the improper DJI Assistant was used in updating the goggles. I Can Not Download DJI Assistant 2 v1.2.4.

At this point I have not tried to hook up the goggles to my Spark.
I have not tried to use a HDMI cable between the Crystal Sky and the goggles.
THERE WASN"T ENOUGH TIME IN THE DAY!!!
I have not tried to hook up the goggles to the DJI Goggles Racing Edition OcuSync Air Unit as it is several days travel away.

Benz, I am very upset that I have spent 16 to 20 hrs trying to link the goggles to one or the other aircraft.
I am also Very concerned to have learned that there are issues with video transmission concerning the DJI Goggles RE.

More than 7 days has passed since the delivery of the goggles making a full refund an option that DJI may not want to pursue. Had I known this, I Would Have Never, Never purchased any item directly from DJI.

May I suggest that if DJI is unwilling to give me a Full Refund for the Unused DJI Goggles RE and the Unopened DJI Goggles Racing Edition OcuSync Air Unit that DJI provide me with DETAILED Instructions for linking the DJI Goggles RE with a Mavic 2 per the Smart Controller.

If I am then unable to link the devises I will only be able to presume that;
1. The Goggles are defective.
2. The Smart Controller is defective OR
3. The Goggles and the Smart Controller are Defective.

Furthermore, I request that DJI work with me as I am on the road traveling 24/7 and do not have access to facilities that enable me to ship and receive any items that may be returned to DJI or sent from DJI.
I am NEVER in one place throughout the lower 48 states of the United States of America for more than a day and I Never know my next destination point!!!!!!!!!
Shipping items to DJI may be possible within a week or two. Receiving items from DJI may take a month or two as my neighbor must receive the items on my behalf until I return home.

Respectfully,
Pat Hockaday

Benz,
Thank You for contacting me back. I am Not a happy customer at this point!

First of all, I travel for business. I may only get home 30 to 40 days out of a year. I made this order knowing that the merchandise would be waiting at my neighbors house for when I returned home. Fortunately I got home one or two days after the merchandise arrived. I immediately went to work trying to update the Smart Controller without success. After 8 or 9 hours I gave up and started trying to set up the goggles. It took me about 3 or 4 hours just to activate the goggles!

I was working off of the downloaded manual from the DJI website. I exactly followed the directions. Unable to get the Smart Controller or the Goggles RE updated I packed them up and brought them with me as I left home 16 days ago and went back to work anywhere USA. I did not bring the DJI Goggles Racing Edition OcuSync Air Unit with me. It is at my house in Texas.

Yesterday, 5/18/19, I had half the day for myself and I went back to work on trying to update the Smart Controller. After 4 hours of trying different things I was able to do so.
I then started trying to get the Goggles to function. I used the DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.8 and confirmed that the Goggles RE had the latest update. I believe it was version 0700.

I had confirmed that both the Mavic Pro and the Mavic Zoom had the latest updates. I linked both aircraft to the Smart Controller that had been updated earlier that day. I started with one of the two aircraft and attempted to link per the directions without success after many attempts.
I then tried many variations of the prescribed linking method without success.
I then took the second aircraft and repeated what I had done with the first aircraft without success.

Having failed with both aircraft I uninstalled and reinstalled DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.8 and started the procedure all over again without success. I sought help on the DJI Forum and read some very old post that suggested the proper DJI Assistant be used. I went to the DJI web-sight and attempted download DJI Assistant 2 v1.2.4 several times without success. I uninstalled DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.8, that had previously worked, and attempted to download DJI Assistant 2 v1.2.4 several times without success. I then SUCCESSFULLY reinstalled DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.8 on my MacBook Pro.

1. I SUCCESSFULLY uninstalled and reinstalled DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.8.
2. I was unable to install DJI Assistant 2 v1.2.4.
3. I was unable to confirm the firmware version installed in the goggles as I could not find any details on the goggles menu.
4. I tried both the on screen linking function and the linking button by the return button on the bottom of the goggles.
5. Using DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.8 I confirmed and refreshed the installation of Goggle version 0700 several times.

On both aircraft I tried linking the goggles;
1. Linking the aircraft, Smart controller and goggles as prescribed in the manuals directions.
2. Linking the aircraft and goggles only.
3. Linking the smart Controller and goggles only.
4. Pressing the link function on the aircraft, smart controller and the goggles at the same time.
5. I did factory reset on all devices and attempted all previous steps several times using, both or separately, the on screen linking function and the linking button.
6. I tried to link the devises out in a vacant field away from any metal objects and any other radio signals.

Having tried to link to 2 separate aircraft I can only assume that the problem is not with the aircraft. That leaves the Smart Controller or the goggles as the malfunctioning unit.
Or it could be that the improper DJI Assistant was used in updating the goggles. I Can Not Download DJI Assistant 2 v1.2.4.

At this point I have not tried to hook up the goggles to my Spark.
I have not tried to use a HDMI cable between the Crystal Sky and the goggles.
THERE WASN"T ENOUGH TIME IN THE DAY!!!
I have not tried to hook up the goggles to the DJI Goggles Racing Edition OcuSync Air Unit as it is several days travel away.

Benz, I am very upset that I have spent 16 to 20 hrs trying to link the goggles to one or the other aircraft.
I am also Very concerned to have learned that there are issues with video transmission concerning the DJI Goggles RE.

More than 7 days has passed since the delivery of the goggles making a full refund an option that DJI may not want to pursue. Had I known this, I Would Have Never, Never purchased any item directly from DJI.

May I suggest that if DJI is unwilling to give me a Full Refund for the Unused DJI Goggles RE and the Unopened DJI Goggles Racing Edition OcuSync Air Unit that DJI provide me with DETAILED Instructions for linking the DJI Goggles RE with a Mavic 2 per the Smart Controller.

If I am then unable to link the devises I will only be able to presume that;
1. The Goggles are defective.
2. The Smart Controller is defective OR
3. The Goggles and the Smart Controller are Defective.

Furthermore, I request that DJI work with me as I am on the road traveling 24/7 and do not have access to facilities that enable me to ship and receive any items that may be returned to DJI or sent from DJI.
I am NEVER in one place throughout the lower 48 states of the United States of America for more than a day and I Never know my next destination point!!!!!!!!!
Shipping items to DJI may be possible within a week or two. Receiving items from DJI may take a month or two as my neighbor must receive the items on my behalf until I return home.

Respectfully,
Pat Hockaday

Hi we aren’t DJI. You’d be better off posting your frustrations with them on their forum as they look at that one.

I can confirm for you that your original choice for Assistant 2 for Mavic is the correct version 2.0.8 for your Mavic Zoom. Do you have a Mavic Pro or a Mavic 2 Pro? If you got the Smart controller connected I assume you meant Mavic 2 Pro. The Mavic Pro 2 uses Assistant 2 1.2.5(windows) 1.2.4(Mac). The Mavic Pro uses Assistant 2 for Mavic like your Zoom.

Assistant 2 1.2.5 is the correct version for your goggles (if your computer is Windows) or Assistant 2 1.2.4 (Mac) though it sounds like you are on the latest version v1.0.7.0 firmware.

So you can’t connect the smart controller OR the goggles? And you’ve made sure that the drones are in “RC mode” not “wi-fi mode” correct?

Does the Smart controller have internet access when you’ve attempted to link them?

Also unless you have an FPV racing quad you’ve built I can’t imagine why you need the Ocusync Air unit. You can return that unless your have another non-DJI drone to use it with.

Pat we are here to help but it would be better to address your questions to us rather then DJI as we aren’t them. We also have no power to issue you a refund nor do we have some back channel to send your suggestions to DJI.

It’s ok to be frustrated but “I can’t seem to get any help from DJI” would have have been better as we know they can be difficult to get help from already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trained Ape
Hi we aren’t DJI. You’d be better off posting your frustrations with them on their forum as they look at that one.

I can confirm for you that your original choice for Assistant 2 for Mavic is the correct version 2.0.8 for your Mavic Zoom. Do you have a Mavic Pro or a Mavic 2 Pro? If you got the Smart controller connected I assume you meant Mavic 2 Pro. The Mavic Pro uses Assistant 2 1.2.5(windows) 1.2.4(Mac). The Mavic Pro uses Assistant 2 for Mavic like your Zoom.

Assistant 2 1.2.5 is the correct version for your goggles (if your computer is Windows) or Assistant 2 1.2.4 (Mac) though it sounds like you are on the latest version v1.0.7.0 firmware.

So you can’t connect the smart controller OR the goggles? And you’ve made sure that the drones are in “RC mode” not “wi-fi mode” correct?

Does the Smart controller have internet access when you’ve attempted to link them?

Also unless you have an FPV racing quad you’ve built I can’t imagine why you need the Ocusync Air unit. You can return that unless your have another non-DJI drone to use it with.

Pat we are here to help but it would be better to address your questions to us rather then DJI as we aren’t them. We also have no power to issue you a refund nor do we have some back channel to send your suggestions to DJI.

It’s ok to be frustrated but “I can’t seem to get any help from DJI” would have have been better as we know they can be difficult to get help from already.
Thank You for jumping in!

I have both the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic 2 Zoom that came with the Smart Controller. I confirmed that both aircraft have the most current firmware before attempting to link with the goggles.
I was able to update the firmware on the Smart Controller to the latest version on Saturday 5/18/19. Before this last update I was able to fly both aircraft using the SC. After the update both aircraft connect to the SC but I have been in NFZ's.

I just received this from DJI.
Please note that they suggest that I watch videos as If I Hadn't Already Done So!
"For the DJI Smart Controller, please be advised that you don't link the smart controller to DJI Goggles or any other aircraft aside from the Mavic 2 Pro or Mavic 2 Zoom. Here is the exact video link to ensure that proper ways of updating the firmware and linking to the Mavic 2 were performed correctly."
Are they saying that the goggles can not be linked if I am using the SC?

I originally only refreshed the goggles using DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.8 to v700. They must have been shipped with the newest update v700.
I then uninstalled 2.0.8 and was unsuccessful installing Assistant 2 1.2.4 (Mac).
I was able to reinstall 2.0.8.

I'm not sure how to confirm if the Mavic 2's are in “RC mode” not “wi-fi mode”?
I assume that they are in RC mode as I have flown them both.

I do have a Spark that I believe is wi-fy mode only. I have not tried to use the goggles with the Spark which would require a "Wired' connection. I use the Crystal Sky with the Spark and the Mavic 2 Pro as the phone is is small and dim.
Note: I tried to link the Mavic 2 Pro to the iPhone 10 after linking it to the SC without success so that I could use this pathway to link the goggles. Seems like it linked up the first time but I haven't been able to link it up again to the phone.

I use the phone as a Hot Spot and I know that I was connected to the internet this past Saturday 5/18/19 when I was attempting to link the goggles to the SC combination of either the M2Pro or the Zoom. Two weeks earlier at my first attempt session I was not connected to the internet.

I mistakenly bought the Ocusync Air unit thinking it was a necessary piece of equipment to receive the video feed. Realizing my mistake after placing the order I thought it might be good to have as I would like to try my hand at RC airplanes. They appear to be to large for me to pack around in the truck.

I wrote this e-mail to DJI after they replied to my request for information on how to return the goggles. As it detailed my attempts to link the goggles I thought it would be good to share on this forum for others to respond to or learn from.

I had read that the goggles had to be a slave RC to the SC. I believe that is done on the Go4 app. I was unable to find the Go4 version number running on the SC. I have the latest Go4 app (7?) on the iPhone 10.

At this point it appears that I can not get a refund on the goggles. I therefor need to test the goggles to see if they are defective which I have not been able to confirm as crazy as that sounds.
I believe that I need to go back to square one and attempt to link the M2Pro to the iPhone 10 and then try to link the goggles to affirm connectivity. I may also need to attempt to connect to the Spark as well as the Ocusync Air when I get back home.

At this moment I have spent so much time on this linking process that I need to get caught up on my workload and my sleep.

Lesson Learned;
I will Never Again buy direct from DJI.
I will only use American vendors that offer support in rectifying any issues!!!

Many Thanks for the input!!!

Ape

Thank You for jumping in!

I have both the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic 2 Zoom that came with the Smart Controller. I confirmed that both aircraft have the most current firmware before attempting to link with the goggles.
I was able to update the firmware on the Smart Controller to the latest version on Saturday 5/18/19. Before this last update I was able to fly both aircraft using the SC. After the update both aircraft connect to the SC but I have been in NFZ's.

I just received this from DJI.
Please note that they suggest that I watch videos as If I Hadn't Already Done So!
"For the DJI Smart Controller, please be advised that you don't link the smart controller to DJI Goggles or any other aircraft aside from the Mavic 2 Pro or Mavic 2 Zoom. Here is the exact video link to ensure that proper ways of updating the firmware and linking to the Mavic 2 were performed correctly."
Are they saying that the goggles can not be linked if I am using the SC?

I originally only refreshed the goggles using DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic v2.0.8 to v700. They must have been shipped with the newest update v700.
I then uninstalled 2.0.8 and was unsuccessful installing Assistant 2 1.2.4 (Mac).
I was able to reinstall 2.0.8.

I'm not sure how to confirm if the Mavic 2's are in “RC mode” not “wi-fi mode”?
I assume that they are in RC mode as I have flown them both.

I do have a Spark that I believe is wi-fy mode only. I have not tried to use the goggles with the Spark which would require a "Wired' connection. I use the Crystal Sky with the Spark and the Mavic 2 Pro as the phone is is small and dim.
Note: I tried to link the Mavic 2 Pro to the iPhone 10 after linking it to the SC without success so that I could use this pathway to link the goggles. Seems like it linked up the first time but I haven't been able to link it up again to the phone.

I use the phone as a Hot Spot and I know that I was connected to the internet this past Saturday 5/18/19 when I was attempting to link the goggles to the SC combination of either the M2Pro or the Zoom. Two weeks earlier at my first attempt session I was not connected to the internet.

I mistakenly bought the Ocusync Air unit thinking it was a necessary piece of equipment to receive the video feed. Realizing my mistake after placing the order I thought it might be good to have as I would like to try my hand at RC airplanes. They appear to be to large for me to pack around in the truck.

I wrote this e-mail to DJI after they replied to my request for information on how to return the goggles. As it detailed my attempts to link the goggles I thought it would be good to share on this forum for others to respond to or learn from.

I had read that the goggles had to be a slave RC to the SC. I believe that is done on the Go4 app. I was unable to find the Go4 version number running on the SC. I have the latest Go4 app (7?) on the iPhone 10.

At this point it appears that I can not get a refund on the goggles. I therefor need to test the goggles to see if they are defective which I have not been able to confirm as crazy as that sounds.
I believe that I need to go back to square one and attempt to link the M2Pro to the iPhone 10 and then try to link the goggles to affirm connectivity. I may also need to attempt to connect to the Spark as well as the Ocusync Air when I get back home.

At this moment I have spent so much time on this linking process that I need to get caught up on my workload and my sleep.

Lesson Learned;
I will Never Again buy direct from DJI.
I will only use American vendors that offer support in rectifying any issues!!!

Many Thanks for the input!!!

Ape

Sounds like you are up to date on your firmware so lets move past that. What they are saying is you don't link the goggles to the smart controller you link the goggles to the aircraft and the aircraft links to the smart controller. In fact you want to link the goggles to the aircraft and then turn on the SC which will link to the aircraft.

When you say you are linking the iPhone to the aircraft what do you mean? Do you have another standard controller was well?

Reactions: BigAl07
Sounds like you are up to date on your firmware so lets move past that. What they are saying is you don't link the goggles to the smart controller you link the goggles to the aircraft and the aircraft links to the smart controller. In fact you want to link the goggles to the aircraft and then turn on the SC which will link to the aircraft.

When you say you are linking the iPhone to the aircraft what do you mean? Do you have another standard controller was well?
Brett,

I only think that I tried to link one of the aircraft to the Goggles without having the SC activated and linked to the aircraft. I will try this ASAP even though, to my understanding, this is not the prescribed method per DJI.

Initially I was unable to update the firmware on the SC, I only have one.
The M2P came with the standard controller. The M2Z came with the SC.
I was able to link the M2P to the SC. This unlinked the Zoom. I flew the M2P with the SC and then re-linked the Zoom and flew it with the SC. I really believe that I then re-linked the M2P to the standard controller using the iPhone 10. The other day, after everything else failed, I thought that I needed to back-step and try to set the goggles up with the standard controller using the iPhone 10 and was unable to do so because the iPhone 10 was not connected.

BTW, I was able to update the SC this past Saturday, 5/18/19, and have linked both the M2P and M2Z to the SC. I may now easily transition between the two but have only done so on the bench. I've been in NFZ's for the past few days.

I have the Crystal Sky 7.8 ultra bright for a month now and have been using it to fly the M2P and the Spark. I really, really like it even though I don't fully grasp the way it functions concerning moving and storing files.
I did not want to bring the CS into the loop until I had figured out these primary issues so I was backing up to try the basics, M2P/Standard Controller/iPhone 10/Goggles.
At last attempt, the M2P did not link up to the iPhone 10 but it was linked to the Standard Controller.

I have tried to be very methodical in my approach to setting the airships up. Honestly, as I'm not familiar with how computers interact I'm having to learn by doing. I hope it's, slowly, coming together in my mind!

Many Thanks, I'll let you know what happens,
Ape

Reactions: brett8883
Brett,

I only think that I tried to link one of the aircraft to the Goggles without having the SC activated and linked to the aircraft. I will try this ASAP even though, to my understanding, this is not the prescribed method per DJI.

Initially I was unable to update the firmware on the SC, I only have one.
The M2P came with the standard controller. The M2Z came with the SC.
I was able to link the M2P to the SC. This unlinked the Zoom. I flew the M2P with the SC and then re-linked the Zoom and flew it with the SC. I really believe that I then re-linked the M2P to the standard controller using the iPhone 10. The other day, after everything else failed, I thought that I needed to back-step and try to set the goggles up with the standard controller using the iPhone 10 and was unable to do so because the iPhone 10 was not connected.

BTW, I was able to update the SC this past Saturday, 5/18/19, and have linked both the M2P and M2Z to the SC. I may now easily transition between the two but have only done so on the bench. I've been in NFZ's for the past few days.

I have the Crystal Sky 7.8 ultra bright for a month now and have been using it to fly the M2P and the Spark. I really, really like it even though I don't fully grasp the way it functions concerning moving and storing files.
I did not want to bring the CS into the loop until I had figured out these primary issues so I was backing up to try the basics, M2P/Standard Controller/iPhone 10/Goggles.
At last attempt, the M2P did not link up to the iPhone 10 but it was linked to the Standard Controller.

I have tried to be very methodical in my approach to setting the airships up. Honestly, as I'm not familiar with how computers interact I'm having to learn by doing. I hope it's, slowly, coming together in my mind!

Many Thanks, I'll let you know what happens,
Ape

Man you have all the goodies I’m jealous! Yea keep us updated!

Man you have all the goodies I’m jealous! Yea keep us updated!
Maybe that's the problem!
There is to much, for this non-computerized Trained Ape, to integrate???
Technically, I don't know what works and what doesn't so it's all trial and error.
I'll get there with rational thought and a little help from my new Friends!

BTW, No More Stuff till I figure out what I have and delve into learning Basic Photography.
My hands are FULL for a while!

Ape

Reactions: brett8883
I hope you got them working I just got my goggles last night I have the Mavic zoom with the smart controller they would not pair so then I realized I have to update the firmware on the goggles and on my mavic zoom and Walla hope that helps man and ya I got around 2hrs and just updating is all, I need to do.....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54