DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Goggles, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

PaoloOne

Reactions
I just received my Goggles, didn't fly yet:

The Good
  • The image is amazing, overall fits the expectations, I think I'll enjoy them while actually flying
  • The menus are easy as the setup
  • They came with .700 which is what I have on my bird and I will hold strong to it.
  • Everybody was saying that they are big and heavy but I don't think so
The Bad
  • The way it fits on my head is kind of strange, when I turn them up it feels like they will fall, you feel like you want a strap for an helmet, when turning the screen down it gets better but you feel that chinese people must have a not so vertical forehead
The Ugly
  • I sweat a lot and here is always hot, running to get them the first minutes I could not bear the fog they were creating, after calming down it went better, let's see in the field, a fan would have been more reassuring
I wish that somebody can give me some tips on the Bad and the Ugly, especially.

I have a round basketball head and when I had mine I had to give them a good crank down and let the memory foam sink down a bit. That helped em feel much more secure on my melon. ;) So don't be afraid to crank the head band down good.
Also I always wore a cooling headsock. (dewrag) Keeps your head cool and sweat from soaking into the band.:eek:

Reactions: Former Member
Yes the OPs observations match mine.
The worst part is when you lift them up and then tilt your head back to see the Mavic at 15-20ft in the air. The Goggles feel like they are slipping off! Heck they are slipping off, so you have to quickly move your head back down. A chin strap would be great except it adds another 15% more to the already high Dork factor I feel when I have them on.

Rob

I have a round basketball head and when I had mine I had to give them a good crank down and let the memory foam sink down a bit. That helped em feel much more secure on my melon. ;) So don't be afraid to crank the head band down good.
Also I always wore a cooling headsock. (dewrag) Keeps your head cool and sweat from soaking into the band.:eek:
Actually you are right, I noticed that the foam is open-cells foam, I just made a bandana out of an old t-shirt, good tip!

Reactions: flyingduck88
The worst part is when you lift them up and then tilt your head back to see the Mavic at 15-20ft in the air. The Goggles feel like they are slipping off! Heck they are slipping off, so you have to quickly move your head back down. A chin strap would be great except it adds another 15% more to the already high Dork factor I feel when I have them on.

Rob
I agree on the dork effect but a chin strap will make me feel better when moving around preparing to launch, I am considering making my own straps, especially considering the feeling of looking up.

Look for a product called "Never Fog"
Thanks, I don't know, maybe can damage the lenses, sometimes this products are made for glass, I'm not so sure that the goggles' lenses are made of it.
Anyway the dish-washing soap works wonderfully, I'm so happy I got this sorted!

Thanks, I don't know, maybe can damage the lenses, sometimes this products are made for glass, I'm not so sure that the goggles' lenses are made of it.
Anyway the dish-washing soap works wonderfully, I'm so happy I got this sorted!

Dish soap works well on the scuba mask, as does spit, just stay away from the garlic!

I've had several kinds of goggles so the "Ohh Ahh" factor wasn't there when I got mine. There's a lot of problems with them in my opinion .
  1. there's way more people that's not going to be able to see without glasses than those that can.
  2. Glass's and lens fog up, DJI should have done what Fatshark did and put in a fan.
  3. Head band won't stay on and is big and bulky.
  4. It really only works well with the Mavic. If you want to use a P4P then you either need to not use the Tablet or buy a HDMI module and loose all the abilities of the menu function's as well as no P4P head tracking.
  5. No RC and video signal strength and no means of switching to imperial.
If it wasn't for having a Mavic, Headplay's are much better and way cheaper for just a HDMI display.

I've had several kinds of goggles so the "Ohh Ahh" factor wasn't there when I got mine. There's a lot of problems with them in my opinion .
  1. there's way more people that's not going to be able to see without glasses than those that can.
  2. Glass's and lens fog up, DJI should have done what Fatshark did and put in a fan.
  3. Head band won't stay on and is big and bulky.
  4. It really only works well with the Mavic. If you want to use a P4P then you either need to not use the Tablet or buy a HDMI module and loose all the abilities of the menu function's as well as no P4P head tracking.
  5. No RC and video signal strength and no means of switching to imperial.
If it wasn't for having a Mavic, Headplay's are much better and way cheaper for just a HDMI display.
I share most of your points:
  1. Yes, seems that lot of people with glasses have to buy dedicated glasses with double of their prescription, cheap pharmacy glasses should do.
  2. I sweat a lot, so I can share this but honestly I got it fixed by smearing the lenses with some dish soap, it works great, no more fog at all
  3. Yes, I agree, I feel like I need a chin lace, especially when I rotate them up
  4. Yes, there are some hiccups in the way they are compatible to other devices, (Apple is mastering lately in this craziness, DJI is on the same route)
  5. I think they are fixing it with the latest updates
In general they are not perfect but yet are impressive, they are definitely setting a reference in the market and I wish they improve, personally my whole setup remains at .700 and cannot see if the latest firmware improve. I see a lot of people reporting any kind of problems on .900 and so I stay put on updates.

I just received my goggles today, and I have a basic question I am hoping someone can help with. I searched the forums but did not see any info.
I was anxious to begin charging the goggles, and connected the headband to the charger before attaching the screens. I assumed the battery was in the headband. Is this incorrect? Must the screens be attached to the headband during charging?
I am still working on an ideal case, but I think it will involve separating the screen and headband for transportation, and charging without reattaching would be much easier. Thank you in advance for the forums assistance!

As an ex-scuba diver, nothing works better for foggy glass than a little bit of spit. It's harmless to anything you put it on, it's free and you have an endless supply!

This is the case I bought for mine so it could fit in my backpack hopefully? Case for DJI Goggles

Reactions: MisterMavic
As an ex-scuba diver, nothing works better for foggy glass than a little bit of spit. It's harmless to anything you put it on
Harmless? It depends on how much garlic you have eaten that day! LOL

Rob
Look at it this way, you already look like a dork standing in the middle of a field chasing a Nat around with your thumbs, at least with the goggles on, people can't recognize you!

Last edited:
Look at it this way, you already look like a dork standing in the middle of a field chasing a Nat around with your thumbs, at least with the goggles on, people can't recognize you!
LOL
Yeah, you'll look like one of the thousands of StormTroopers that appear in every Star Wars movie.

Reactions: WolfgangStiller
I share most of your points:
  1. Yes, seems that lot of people with glasses have to buy dedicated glasses with double of their prescription, cheap pharmacy glasses should do.
  2. I sweat a lot, so I can share this but honestly I got it fixed by smearing the lenses with some dish soap, it works great, no more fog at all
  3. Yes, I agree, I feel like I need a chin lace, especially when I rotate them up
  4. Yes, there are some hiccups in the way they are compatible to other devices, (Apple is mastering lately in this craziness, DJI is on the same route)
  5. I think they are fixing it with the latest updates
In general they are not perfect but yet are impressive, they are definitely setting a reference in the market and I wish they improve, personally my whole setup remains at .700 and cannot see if the latest firmware improve. I see a lot of people reporting any kind of problems on .900 and so I stay put on updates.

On #5, yes, the .900 upgrade provides an option for imperial. Works great. .900 is definitely worth the upgrade.

Reactions: mig25
I am changing my opinion on separating the goggles and headband. I am not in favor of frequently separation of the headband and the screens - that clip and hinge mechanism seem to be the weakspots to me. I agree the smaller case (which requires separating the screen and headband) is much more convenient, but I purchased the larger case, and it seems quite safe.
P.S. they will not fit in the Playstation VR case - I have that device and case also. Close but no cigar.

Reactions: WolfgangStiller
I am changing my opinion on separating the goggles and headband. I am not in favor of frequently separation of the headband and the screens - that clip and hinge mechanism seem to be the weakspots to me. I agree the smaller case (which requires separating the screen and headband) is much more convenient, but I purchased the larger case, and it seems quite safe.
P.S. they will not fit in the Playstation VR case - I have that device and case also. Close but no cigar.

I share your concern. The clip seems pretty robust but not so sure about the hinge. The hinge gets used all the time not just when they are separated. Too bad about the VR case. That would have been a nice option. Thanks for checking that out!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive