DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Going above 1640 ft

Merrill277

Reactions
I live in the mountain west. It is not uncommon to fly my MA2 up the sides of mountains. Many of them are several thousand feet high. I rarely go more than 200 ft AGL. But I cannot seem to fly higher than the dji fly limit of 1640 ft. It would be nice for the program to have an option to go any height just a long as the drone does not exceed 400 ft AGL. Anyone know how to fly above this level. Any work arounds? See attached pic showing my maximum height on this particular mountain. As you can see, I am not even half way up the mountain.

Attachments

• DJI_0284.JPG
    DJI_0284.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 41
Land at 1312ft etc. and take off again, with everything that that risks. The landing, motor stop and motor restart resets the 'height' to zero but NOTE it also resets the Homepoint so you would subsequently have to change that to the controller's position IF THE LATTER IS STILL POSSIBLE.
That I know of the 500m limit is in firmware on the drone and the only way to bypass it in one flight is to hack the drone's firmware. I suspect that that is not easily done on the MA2 even if it is possible at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Land at 4000ft etc. and take off again, with everything that that risks. The landing, motor stop and motor restart resets the 'height' but NOTE it also resets the Homepoint so you would subsequently have to change that to the controller's position IF THE LATTER IS POSSIBLE.
That I know of the 500m limit is in firmware on the drone and the only way to bypass it in one flight is to hack the drone's firmware. I suspect that that is not easily done on the MA2 if it is even possible at all.
Thank you for your suggestion. Where I have been able to drive or climb to a high place before take off I have done so. Flying and landing then restarting would also be nice, however the areas where I fly usually don't exactly have nice landing spots. But your point is well taken and some time in the future I may be able to find such a spot to land and take off from. That is something I did not think of before so thank you so much for your great advice. The scary part to me would be stopping the drone and starting it again from that far away. I would hate to have to climb up there and get it. In your comment I think you meant 1,640 ft. or less and not 4,000 ft. right? I do that too sometimes. Thank you again.

in your comment I think you meant 1,640 ft. or less
Yep, fingers and brain not in sync, thanks, fixed. Be aware, stuff like long grass etc. can stop a motor start / restart so you would have to choose the landing site carefully.

Thank you for your suggestion. Where I have been able to drive or climb to a high place before take off I have done so. Flying and landing then restarting would also be nice, however the areas where I fly usually don't exactly have nice landing spots. But your point is well taken and some time in the future I may be able to find such a spot to land and take off from. That is something I did not think of before so thank you so much for your great advice. The scary part to me would be stopping the drone and starting it again from that far away. I would hate to have to climb up there and get it. In your comment I think you meant 1,640 ft. or less and not 4,000 ft. right? I do that too sometimes. Thank you again.
Make sure you have a very good signal between the remote and drone when you are 2 feet over the landing spot, if you can find one. I noticed when I land, the bars drop by one or two when I land on the ground itself.

This 1600 ft limit when wanting to go up a mountain side is a real thorn in my side. Autel gives 2600 ft. And then their is geofencing. DJI just has a couple restrictions I could do without. They oughta make a mountain climbing mode, where you can just hover over a certain area and it can use a sensor to sense the distance to the ground , then let you reset your altitude instead of landing.

They oughta make a mountain climbing mode, where you can just hover over a certain area and it can use a sensor to sense the distance to the ground , then let you reset your altitude instead of landing.
Here are some small and (relatively) inexpensive radar altimeters:
You probably don't want to pay that much and your drone couldn't lift the weight.
Where's DJI going to get the kind of sensor to do what you want (and would pay for)?

You probably don't want to pay that much and your drone couldn't lift the weight.
Where's DJI going to get the kind of sensor to do what you want (and would pay for)?
He can judge the distance by using his camera feed. I've landed on top of buildings out of VLOS with no issue. I use my camera and lower the drone slowly, until the drone hesitates. This is usually around 2 feet. Then I push the stick all the way down for a landing. So I'm using the landing sensors and the camera in unison.

They oughta make a mountain climbing mode, where you can just hover over a certain area and it can use a sensor to sense the distance to the ground , then let you reset your altitude instead of landing.
How are you going to reset your altitude without landing?

Are you saying their are no landing sensors? Does the drone not know when It is near the ground? I could have sworn. It seems the drones know when they are near the ground. IF DJI could make the sensors reset the altitude without landing when they sense they are 2 feet from the ground, instead when they land, but that's probably a programming nightmare, maybe maybe not.

Are you saying their are no landing sensors? Does the drone not know when It is near the ground? I could have sworn. It seems the drones know when they are near the ground. IF DJI could make the sensors reset the altitude without landing when they sense they are 2 feet from the ground, instead when they land, but that's probably a programming nightmare, maybe maybe not.
You said that DJI should use a sensor to sense the distance to the ground.

Since DJI already have the VPS sensors that measures distance above ground, but they have a very limited range and you didn't say anything about being close to the ground, it seemed that your were suggesting DJI should come up with something to measure beyond VPS range.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada