DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Going Home

Ah, good luck.
A hypothetical situation and question. The drone, for unknown reasons, is not responding sensibly to stick commands (as has happened with other drones) and is flying at head height towards a group of unaware by-standers.
How would you stop it, or attempt to stop it, from hitting them?
Hypothetical situations tend to be a waste of time, because they tend not to happen in many lifetimes of any particular individual, and are best suited for freshman philosophy classes in college. With that said, I'll engage... and with having done no research whatsoever. First of all, this hypothetical dilemma is vanishingly unlikely to ever happen to me, because as an architect and urbanist, I'll be likely to be flying my M3 at 50 meters or higher. But if it did happen, then my split-second assessment of the "ghost in the machine" dilemma where nothing I do with the sticks has any meaningful response, it seems I'm left with two options: either a tap or a long push on the Home/Pause button. I'm not sure which will do what, but it's likely it'll either pause the drone or set it down at Home. If neither works, then I have no clue, as it's highly unlikely that any of the rest of the buttons would do anything useful, so I'd probably run screaming "DUCK!!" to the unsuspecting bystanders imperiled by my never-to-be-at-head-height drone.

With all that said, I have a question: cars tend to be about as intuitive as Mavic drones, in my very limited experience so far: the gas pedal means go, the brake means slow down, and the steering wheel turns one way or the other. Adding the third dimension adds complexity, but not overly much. No intention of disrespect, but how many on this list have read the entire manual of their car before driving? Full disclosure: I never have, and have undoubtedly missed many features, but have gotten home safely in spite of being not-fully-featured.

I flew my M3 for the first time yesterday, and love the intuitiveness. One thing concerned me, however: When I first connected the M3 & controller, I was at home, then walked over to a large field to try to launch, only to find I was in an authorization zone. So I drove a couple miles to get out of the zone. When it came time to land, it occurred to me that the M3 couldn't go back home because of the zone, so I landed it manually. But what, for the purposes of the M3, is "home?" Surely it's not my home in my contact file, right? Traveling to fly would mean it would never make it home if flying more than just a few miles away. Before I hit the "go home" button, I want to be absolutely certain I know what it's going to do.
I mean no disrespect, but it sounds to me like you don’t know very much about drones. Read the manual and watch the tutorials, make sure you know how to operate the drone before you fly again. I’m only trying to save you the disappointment of loosing your new bird.

No intention of disrespect, but how many on this list have read the entire manual of their car before driving?
Not a particularly good analogy as most have driven cars previously and are familiar with the basics.
But unless you've flown a flying machine before that are plenty of ways you could come unstuck with no previous experience to fall back on.

I flew my M3 for the first time yesterday, and love the intuitiveness. One thing concerned me, however: When I first connected the M3 & controller, I was at home, then walked over to a large field to try to launch, only to find I was in an authorization zone. So I drove a couple miles to get out of the zone. When it came time to land, it occurred to me that the M3 couldn't go back home because of the zone, so I landed it manually. But what, for the purposes of the M3, is "home?" Surely it's not my home in my contact file, right? Traveling to fly would mean it would never make it home if flying more than just a few miles away. Before I hit the "go home" button, I want to be absolutely certain I know what it's going to do.
I finally tried Return Home yesterday, and was delighted to see that my Mavic 3 landed just inches from where I launched it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy