DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good Android phone with 6" screen for DJI GO 4 (Mavic 2)

Facious

Reactions
Hi,

I'm looking for a phone with approx. 6" screen, that will be my designated flying device. Budget up to £150 (UK, second hand accepted).

Currently I'm using Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact (Andoid 8) and it works fine with the app. But as much as I love small phones, I'd like bigger screen for flying and separate device as well.

I can get Xperia XA1 Ultra for about £100, but in theory it's too long (165mm vs supported 160mm max); it should still fir in the controller clamps, however with original DJI cable might be bit tight.

I'm looking also at:
-> Sony Xperia 10
-> Huawei Mate 8 - I have a chance to buy this model (NXT-L29) in good condition with 3GB RAM, Android 6; it is also officially supported for DJI GO 4

Any feedback on Huawei devices? The Mavic 2 manual says to select "Charging Only" mode for Huawei devices, otherwise the connection may fail.

I use a Nokia 6.1 which has a 5.8" diagonal screen and works very well with the Mavic Pro 1.

I have been using the Wunderphone for the past year and not a single problem, the screen is 5.6 inches and very bright. You should be able to get one second hand somewhere. See old posts regarding the "Wunderphone". The battery is amazing, how long it lasts.

Be careful choosing, some don't work and nobody has a good list of what won't has been my experience. For me a Samsung Galaxy Tab was attractive, and my Samsung phones work OK, so I tried and found the Tab S models don't work with GO4.

I settled on Nexus 7s and they work fine.

But, an iPad Mini works best of all if you're using, or may use, apps like DroneDeploy or Litchi.

With the Androids you need to use the Apps menu, Force Stop the running app, make sure it's not set to default, unplug the USB cable, replug it, and choose your next app from the list. It's a bit of a hassle, can't switch easily to Litchi from GO 4 after setting the camera, for example. This is seen by some as an Android 'feature' to protect the USB connection, by others as a hassle.

With the iPad Mini you just switch apps and you're done.

You didn't say why you're looking for Android, but you might consider the iPad Mini, reconditioned from Amazon aren't too pricey...

I use Samsung Note 8, Samsung 10 plus and iPad 10.2.Android works fine. I prefer Android. Never have issues. I think these guys that have issues don't set Android up right. DJI uses Android with Smart Controller, that tells you something. Just wipe out Cahce Partition once in awhile and don't have a bunch of apps running in the background. I love Samsung it can be tweaked to your liking, not to Apples liking.

But, an iPad Mini works best of all if you're using, or may use, apps like DroneDeploy or Litchi.

With the Androids you need to use the Apps menu, Force Stop the running app, make sure it's not set to default, unplug the USB cable, replug it, and choose your next app from the list. It's a bit of a hassle, can't switch easily to Litchi from GO 4 after setting the camera, for example. This is seen by some as an Android 'feature' to protect the USB connection, by others as a hassle.

With the iPad Mini you just switch apps and you're done.

Not sure what problems you are having with Litchi on Android. As soon as you have told the phone to use Litchi by default it never opens Go 4 again. On the Nokia, I just start the controller, start the aircraft, unlock the phone, set phone to airplane mode, plug in the USB, press 'Cancel' if the USB Media caption comes up, and there is Litchi.

I do concede that Litchi on iOS has more features than on Android, but cost of devices is about half, which isnt a bad trade.

All my other mobile devices run on Android, I don't like iOS for few reasons, one of them is impossibility to send or receive anything via Bluetooth to/from a device that is not an Apple device, so I wouldn't be able to transfer files like that to my phone.

So, I've just picked up this Huawei Mate 8 today, currently running on Android 6. Nice 6" 16:9 screen, fits well in the controller clamps, I will give it a go tomorrow if it's not raining.
There is an official update to Android 7, and potentially Android 8 (some people say they got it OTA for their Mate 8).
Should I update it? My Xperia XZ1 Compact runs DJI GO 4 on Android 8 very well. Anyone has some experience with Huawei?

All my other mobile devices run on Android, I don't like iOS for few reasons, one of them is impossibility to send or receive anything via Bluetooth to/from a device that is not an Apple device, so I wouldn't be able to transfer files like that to my phone.

So, I've just picked up this Huawei Mate 8 today, currently running on Android 6. Nice 6" 16:9 screen, fits well in the controller clamps, I will give it a go tomorrow if it's not raining.
There is an official update to Android 7, and potentially Android 8 (some people say they got it OTA for their Mate 8).
Should I update it? My Xperia XZ1 Compact runs DJI GO 4 on Android 8 very well. Anyone has some experience with Huawei?
I use their phone, what was called the Wunderphone. I have not updated anything on it in the past year and a half and it has worked perfectly. I am of the opinion, that if it is not broken, do not touch it. Any update has not been something that I had to have, therefore, I am perfectly fine with the software that it currently has installed.

I use their phone, what was called the Wunderphone. (...) I am of the opinion, that if it is not broken, do not touch it.
We actually share the same opinion, first thing I do on a new device is switching auto updates off, so I am in control of my device and not the device itself.
I thought the Wunderphone was some kind of a new Chinese brand "invention"... well it is Chinese actually but I didn't know it was Huawei Ascend XT2 ;)

Hi,

I'm looking for a phone with approx. 6" screen, that will be my designated flying device. Budget up to £150 (UK, second hand accepted).

Currently I'm using Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact (Andoid 8) and it works fine with the app. But as much as I love small phones, I'd like bigger screen for flying and separate device as well.

I can get Xperia XA1 Ultra for about £100, but in theory it's too long (165mm vs supported 160mm max); it should still fir in the controller clamps, however with original DJI cable might be bit tight.

I'm looking also at:
-> Sony Xperia 10
-> Huawei Mate 8 - I have a chance to buy this model (NXT-L29) in good condition with 3GB RAM, Android 6; it is also officially supported for DJI GO 4

Any feedback on Huawei devices? The Mavic 2 manual says to select "Charging Only" mode for Huawei devices, otherwise the connection may fail.
Get an old galaxy note they have large screens and cheap as chips like most used android devices.

Get an old galaxy note they have large screens and cheap as chips like most used android devices.
Yeah, I've been looking at them as well, but the problem with Samsungs is, apart from being generally loaded with lots of bloatware, they are not that cheap even the older models; I couldn't find any decent one below £150.

Have you considered a used tablet and just keeping your phone separate? A dedicated tablet can be run on a very minimal set of programs and of course get you an even bigger screen (which most would say is beneficial, though you may have a reason to stay smaller).

I have actually considered tablets, but I didn't want to use any extra mounting holders. I've seen people wedged iPad Minis into the controller clamps, but I find it too fiddly.

Anyway, I have done 3 short flights so far with Huawei Mate 8 and it works fine. 6" is IMHO a sweetspot for flying, phone is not too big and there's enough screen area - see attached. Plus it just fits in the front pocket of Mavic 2 Should Bag.
_20191027_215319.JPG

Btw. This list is quite usefull - there's more devices than on official DJI's list: Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help

Last edited:
We actually share the same opinion, first thing I do on a new device is switching auto updates off, so I am in control of my device and not the device itself.
I thought the Wunderphone was some kind of a new Chinese brand "invention"... well it is Chinese actually but I didn't know it was Huawei Ascend XT2 ;)
It is a very bright screen compared to a few other things. If I can find the photo I compared it to my iPhone 6 that I used to use, my iPad and a Lenovo tablet. That Wunderphone was the brightest of the lot.SCREEN COMPARISONS.JPG

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu