DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good bye Crystal Sky ?

Alex_S

Reactions
I have just read the specs of the soon to be release Samsung Note 8.
Take this with a bit of question mark over it, but it was stated that the screen is quite visible in bright daylight and can produce over 1000 nits of screen brightness ! The screen is 6.3 inch. and of a top quality.
Ok, it will cost $ 1000.00 +/_ but it's your phone as well and it can load all other apps like Litchi which Crystalsky can not so far.
So for me the choice is either the 2000 nits Crystalsky or the Samsung Note 8.
I think I will go the Note 8 in order to be flexible with apps.
Interesting times !

Careful, those 1000 nits are only valid temporarily on the S8, will probably be the same on the Note.

wtf is a crystalsky? i'd google it but i dont want to
If you're serious, and I missed any sarcasm (known to happen [emoji12]), Crystal Sky is a small monitor to use with your Mavic that is dedicated to the DJI GO app. It has a screen that is (supposedly) quite visible in sunlight (that's all the discussion about nits).

Take this with a bit of question mark over it, but it was stated that the screen is quite visible in bright daylight and can produce over 1000 nits of screen brightness ! The screen is 6.3 inch. and of a top quality.
Ok, it will cost $ 1000.00 +/_ but it's your phone as well and it can load all other apps like Litchi which Crystalsky can not so far.
Interesting times !
Remember... It might not be "goodbye" until we see how well DJI GO 4 runs on the note 8. That's the (if not the only) big advantage of Crystal Sky...no app crashes. Nits aside...if the app doesn't run any better than it does on most Android devices (I'm sure you've read numerous stories of woe), the note 8's release might not impact Crystal Sky sales at all...

other advantages of crystalsky to consider.. nice battery life, hot swappable too, not overheating on hot days, and also runs fine in the extreme cold.. doubt the the note will run long in either of those conditions..

And (hopefully) since is designed and built by DJI, with a forked Android O/S specifically for DJI - it will work like a "Walled Garden" with no bloat ware, no non-DJI skins, no 3rd party software to bring weeds to the Garden.

My pre-order is in for the 7.85 Ultra and I'm banking on the assumptions I've listed above.

Interesting times !
I stay away from anything Samsung, period!
Refrigerators last two years!
Washing Machines spin out of control from day 1!
Televisions Die!
Phones explode!
Quality control at that company is just plain awful!
I'll stick to my IOS products thank you very much!

I stay away from anything Samsung, period!
Refrigerators last two years!
Washing Machines spin out of control from day 1!
Televisions Die!
Phones explode!
Quality control at that company is just plain awful!
I'll stick to my IOS products thank you very much!
Spoken like a true Applehead...I work in IT and have seen enough issues with Apple products to know not to generalize like that... Never had an issue with any Samsung product, and I've had 6 galaxy phones, 2 refrigerators and a new washer and dryer... That's not to say they can't break down, but it also doesn't mean they definitely will.

I've had great luck with my Samsung s8 and DJI GO 4...

Reactions: TrayBoz
Spoken like a true Applehead...I work in IT and have seen enough issues with Apple products to know not to generalize like that... Never had an issue with any Samsung product, and I've had 6 galaxy phones, 2 refrigerators and a new washer and dryer... That's not to say they can't break down, but it also doesn't mean they definitely will.

I've had great luck with my Samsung s8 and DJI GO 4...
I'm no Applehead, but DJI Go is much more stable and reliable on IOS than on Android, if for no other reason than how Android allows background processes to spin up.

Having said that, a bespoke version of Android, without 3rd party apps, would address that issue. On Phantompilots, many recommend that if you are using an Android to not have any non drone related 3rd party apps, to prevent resource contention with your flight app. DJI has simply productized that configuration.

I'm no Applehead, but DJI Go is much more stable and reliable on IOS than on Android, if for no other reason than how Android allows background processes to spin up.

Having said that, a bespoke version of Android, without 3rd party apps, would address that issue. On Phantompilots, many recommend that if you are using an Android to not have any non drone related 3rd party apps, to prevent resource contention with your flight app. DJI has simply productized that configuration.
I don't disagree at all...and I guess I'm one of the lucky ones as my S8 has worked well with the app.

I was simply saying that blaming Samsung for a DJI/android issue is pointless...

You couldn't pay me to go back to an android tablet or phone unless it's a CS.

I've tried an S5, S7, S8, and Nexus7, all were glitchy so moved to an ipad mini4 (and hood) and was pretty happy. Have now had a 7.8 CS for a few weeks with none of the previous experienced android glitches.

Reactions: dannyw777 and EasyV
You couldn't pay me to go back to an android tablet or phone unless it's a CS.

I've tried an S5, S7, S8, and Nexus7, all were glitchy so moved to an ipad mini4 (and hood) and was pretty happy. Have now had a 7.8 CS for a few weeks with none of the previous experienced android glitches.

I have to agree with you there, and it's not that I don't like Android, I have an LG G6 phone and my last 2 were Samsung's. DJI runs much better on IOS than Android. I can't say if it's hardware, operating system or the DJI app's, but I just don't have the problems on my Ipads that I had with Android. Writing app's on an android is a real challenge as there are countless varieties of hardware and manufacturer versions of android

Reactions: Nikon1
An update :
The Note 8 is now quoted to have over 1200 nits of peak brightness !

As to the endless Android vs IOS discussions. Crystal Sky is an Android system to start with.
I used Ipads and various Android products with my DJI products. I personally never had issues with
any of them. With Android you have to make sure nothing else runs in the background and you have good amounts of free RAM.
Switch your phone to airplane mode when you fly. All the Apple products are high tech, high quality products only with a very stable OS.
They all use more or less the same proven chip sets with faster CPUs in each incarnation.
There are too many Android devices, many of them not on par with the quality and technology of IOS devices.
That high quality Android devices like Samsung S7/S8 for example can have problems is surprising. There are just too many who absolutely don't
and this vast majority never comes to this forum to complain.
Personally I prefer Android for various reasons.
The Note 8 is on my shopping list and I will report back how the screen brightness compares to the 1000 nits Crystal Sky.
Of course the best will the the 2000 nits Crystal Sky. That will be on the shopping list if the 1200 nit Note 8 is not sufficient in our
bright sun country Australia.

if the 1200 nit Note 8 is not sufficient in our
bright sun country Australia.

It may be brighter than other phones, but as said earlier it won't be 1200 nits for long in our sun being passively cooled, you will need a hood just to keep it cool enough to run. Hell, my phone gets almost too hot to touch when left in the sun for 15 minutes, and that's switched off.

There's a cooling fan in the CS, haven't heard it activate yet but the ambient temps in Sydney are pretty cool at ~20C at the moment, I'm expecting to need it in summer on our 30~35C days, it could only be worse up on the GC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98