DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good camera 1000$ camera drone?

pricelessppp

Reactions
Hi I'm new hear! Also am in the market for a camera drone & wondering what drones I can get for around 1000 $? Should I either get a Mavic mini or Autel EVO or the skydio 2? I'm looking for a all in one camera/gimbal setup & am looking for something with reliable GPS features also I'm wanting something I can take high quality stills/video. Or should I wait & see what else is at CES 2020?

Reactions: pelagic_one
Hi I'm new hear! Also am in the market for a camera drone & wondering what drones I can get for around 1000 $? Should I either get a Mavic mini or Autel EVO or the skydio 2? I'm looking for a all in one camera/gimbal setup & am looking for something with reliable GPS features also I'm wanting something I can take high quality stills/video. Or should I wait & see what else is at CES 2020?

Good questions. Not sure I would go for the Mavic Mini just yet, there are still a good number of crashes*, though a good portion of those are caused by flying in moderate to stronger winds. The Mini can't handle winds nearly as strong as bigger drones. I have a Mavic 2 Pro, but that's going to be in the neighborhood of $16 - 1700 with the DJI smart controller (which is *really* nice). The M2P has probably the best camera currently available in a consumer drone, a Hasselblad with 1" sensor and 20 MP. The whole platform is amazing and IMO worth the price.

*There also appears to be an unresolved issue with Mini's hitting the ground un-commanded as well as some experiencing problems with charging port damage on the controller - I've experienced none of this, all is second hand info I've read about.

Your choice... Consider how quickly you want it and what you want to do with it....consider a refurb for an M2P in the $1k-$1.1k price range.

Hi Pricelessppp, a couple of quick questions to better qualify. Have you flown drones before, which ones and for how long? I see you are looking for a good quality camera setup, what exactly are you looking to capture? Last but not least, are you looking to fly recreationally or commercially?
Blue Skies from SoCal

Hi Pricelessppp, a couple of quick questions to better qualify. Have you flown drones before, which ones and for how long? I see you are looking for a good quality camera setup, what exactly are you looking to capture? Last but not least, are you looking to fly recreationally or commercially?
Blue Skies from SoCal

Yes I have flown since 2012. I started out with foam planes then branded out to flying mini quads & to a 450 sized drone. But one that doesn’t have GPS/Gimbal etc. Oh I fly for recreational purposes. And will check that channel out.

You might consider a good used Mavic Pro... for what you can get you can't beat the deals out there (including mine!) ;-)

Yes I have flown since 2012. I started out with foam planes then branded out to flying mini quads & to a 450 sized drone. But one that doesn’t have GPS/Gimbal etc. Oh I fly for recreational purposes. And will check that channel out.
Well, based on all those factors and the price point your looking for, I’d recommend the Mavic pro. I just looked up on Amazon and you can’t get one with the fly more combo for $999. Hope this helps.
Blue Skies

Similar background to yours.... I used to fly foamies then moved up to small toy quad then to a 450 with gimball etc. That was years ago. Decided this year I would like to get a proper turn key video platform to start adding aerial footage to some race videos and just do some landscape/travel videos.

Bought a Mavic Air. Used it for about 40 some odd flights. Still have it. Great super compact do anything drone.

Then I started to ponder the need to upgrade. Found a good price on a refurbished Zoom. Absolutely love it. If you are not doing professional photo work then I recommend the Zoom. It will still take 4k video if you want to. But from what the experts say its quality is not as good as the Pro. Fine for me. And the zoom function is a gamechanger. Absolutely a blast and can give you some really good closeups aand parralax views you can't get with the non zoom cameras. Absolutely no regrets on my end. Some will say with the Pro you can zoom in post production (the same as with any footage) but nothing beats being able to zoom in realtime . Price should be in your range if you find a used or refurbished unit. Ask DJIDroneService (approved forum vendor).

A fun 2min video showing you the zoom capability...drone is at 80m altitude and that is the amount of zoom you can use! friend asked me to check his house out... (overlays are post production)

Reactions: pelagic_one
Mavic air combo for a K takes great 4k vid and good stills with a little post op great stills, compac, built like a tank and handles high wind .

Reactions: Mithrandir
DJI Mavic 2 Zoom

for me... the Mavic air is the sweet spot for video, stills, range, endurance and price...
I didn't want to buy used.. (Too often used = someone elses problem)

Unedited examples of video.... 1080P 60 fps as originally captured... I am not sure
how much de-resolution is added by youtube...

Last edited:
Reactions: pricelessppp
Nice example videos/photos! Wondering if its worth just jumping up to getting the bigger mavic or re-released phantom drone or considering those options?

You can get a Parrot Anafi or a Mavic Pro with a few extra batteries for under $1000. In my opinion both would be much better options than a Mavic Mini.

Reactions: Skyflyer129
Thanks how does all three drones compare? In GPS features etc?

The Anafi is a FAR better drone than the Mavic Mini (camera and flight characteristics). In my opinion the Anafi user app (Free Flight 6) is much more user friendly and has more options than DJI app. The other plus with the Anafi is no corporately enforced no fly zones. You as the pilot are given the responsibility of following airspace regulations.

The big plus with the Mavic Pro over both the Anafi and Mini is Occusyn (MinI and Anafi both use wifi). If you're flying in an area with a lot of WiFi interference Occusync will greatly extend your range and the quality of the video feed. The Mavic Pro also has better video and flight characteristics over the Mini.

That said if your budget is $1000 and no more I'd be looking at the Mavic Pro or Anafi. You can get either in a fly more package (extra batteries and other accessories) and not bust your budget.

For your needs, you want the Mavic 2 Pro. New Mavic 2 Pro's were available for $1170 in December, and refurbished ones still sell for that. Stretch your budget a little more, and you can get the best. Lightly used M2P's will also soon be available for $1000, as people sell in anticipation of upgrading to the Mavic 3.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13