DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good original YouTube content?

Whitefalcon

Reactions
Hi all,
Can people suggest some good and original YouTube content to watch? Please add any links you have.

I have enjoyed some good content so far but after a couple of weeks of watching content about mini2 I have pretty much exhausted everything.
It is a bit disappointing that all the channels repeat each other and I've always been very curious as to why everyone posts the same content at the same time (are they told by Mavic to do this?). e.g. How to hand launch all appeared within a few days of each other, altitude tests, range tests......... The latest bunch of vids were for ND filter advice (presumably as all the channels got given free ND filters by Freewell).

Although I enjoy watching these I have gotten bored quite quickly and would really like to see some original content that does not give the impression of being long form advertisements because the channel had free equipment sent to them. One channel even showed an unboxing of some free promotional tat they had been sent from DJI that was of no interest to anyone as far as I could tell apart from clickbait.

Please recommend some links to any helpful / entertaining sites out there.

Cheers

Reactions: TheDude
As we all know, YT favors salacious content with spectacle that often becomes viral through drama and all too often controversy... or at least jump cuts every 2-5 seconds to satisfy the insatiable, fickle viewers thirst for more, More, MORE! And with new entrants like TicTok, YT is countering with #Shorts less than 60 seconds.

OTOH most static content with little change in scenery (aerial landscape videography) isn't all that compelling with compelling music, narration, lower-third text, picture in picture, etc. True, 5 years ago dudes like Black Sheep would make breathtaking flights (often recklessly IMO) through inner urban cities, under the Golden Gate Bridge, etc. Then the next "one-upper" would fly low over the heads of the masses, over amphitheaters with tens of thousands, "thrilling" airplane and helicopter flybys, and more, More, MORE...

True, some YouTubers make breakthroughs doing it the old fashion ways ("you have to EARN it" by being entertaining/funny/ironic/educational/making viewers feel smart/sexy) by focusing on story, but even the Casey Neistat's of the world focus of views, subscribers, watch time and engagement (Likes, Comments, Shares) - the fuel that drives the almighty YT algorithms with sticky videos and viewers eyeballs that drive advertising revenues.

Anyway, there are 50+ great YT channels that offer compelling UAS-oriented videos and I recommend you go beyond searching for "mini2" related videos. Even if you start there, understand that most all YT views come from YT ***SUGGESTED VIDEOS*** based on your views, engagement, profile and thousands of other "signals" where YT algorithms match your viewing habits to the NEXT video you are likely to watch/enjoy based on other viewers like you.

So yeah, if you click on and watch left-brained educational videos, YT will help you. Or if you're more ephemeral and watch/rewatch drone videos of well endowed young women in bikinis, YT has you covered ;)

Reactions: TheDude
As we all know, YT favors salacious content with spectacle that often becomes viral through drama and all too often controversy... or at least jump cuts every 2-5 seconds to satisfy the insatiable, fickle viewers thirst for more, More, MORE! And with new entrants like TicTok, YT is countering with #Shorts less than 60 seconds.

OTOH most static content with little change in scenery (aerial landscape videography) isn't all that compelling with compelling music, narration, lower-third text, picture in picture, etc. True, 5 years ago dudes like Black Sheep would make breathtaking flights (often recklessly IMO) through inner urban cities, under the Golden Gate Bridge, etc. Then the next "one-upper" would fly low over the heads of the masses, over amphitheaters with tens of thousands, "thrilling" airplane and helicopter flybys, and more, More, MORE...

True, some YouTubers make breakthroughs doing it the old fashion ways ("you have to EARN it" by being entertaining/funny/ironic/educational/making viewers feel smart/sexy) by focusing on story, but even the Casey Neistat's of the world focus of views, subscribers, watch time and engagement (Likes, Comments, Shares) - the fuel that drives the almighty YT algorithms with sticky videos and viewers eyeballs that drive advertising revenues.

Anyway, there are 50+ great YT channels that offer compelling UAS-oriented videos and I recommend you go beyond searching for "mini2" related videos. Even if you start there, understand that most all YT views come from YT ***SUGGESTED VIDEOS*** based on your views, engagement, profile and thousands of other "signals" where YT algorithms match your viewing habits to the NEXT video you are likely to watch/enjoy based on other viewers like you.

So yeah, if you click on and watch left-brained educational videos, YT will help you. Or if you're more ephemeral and watch/rewatch drone videos of well endowed young women in bikinis, YT has you covered ;)
Thanks,
Do you have any suggestions to start with? By your description above that should set the algorithm in my favour.
A link or two will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Sure TheDude,

Over the years dealing with requirements as a Project Manager, Software Engineer/Manager, etc, I've learned the first step is CNA - Customer Needs Assessment. I do have a vague idea that you're looking for "fresh content" (a huge domain) and not altitude/range tests, techie stuff like ND filters or generalize info like unboxing enticing videos to drive sales, etc.

If you can give examples of topics or creators you do like, that will be helpful. If even that is challenging, I suggest that within YouTube, click on the search window and enter your preferred keyword (drone, UAV, Aerial Video, etc). Notice that after you enter the word "drone " YT auto suggests additional keywords like "light show, racing, show, 2021, fireworks, fails, video, footage..."

Learning what NOT to do is worth considering and many are enlightening and entertaining, like "drone fails." "Aerial Video A to Z" would also be educational and something like "best drone video" will give you some useful threads. Once you find channels you like, be sure to click on their channel link, then to the right of the HOME link at the top under the number of subscribers, click on VIDEOS and scan their catalog (or PLAYLISTS (to see their favs organized by their recommended topics).

And of course, along with the search you can also use the FILTER option to narrow your selection criteria by two dozen specifications (like view count, rating, 4K, short/long, etc). But as I've mentioned before, after watching a video you like all the way through, be sure to pay attention to SUGGESTED VIDEOS YT recommends you watch next.

Cheers, Michael

Reactions: Barbara and TheDude
Sure TheDude,

Over the years dealing with requirements as a Project Manager, Software Engineer/Manager, etc, I've learned the first step is CNA - Customer Needs Assessment. I do have a vague idea that you're looking for "fresh content" (a huge domain) and not altitude/range tests, techie stuff like ND filters or generalize info like unboxing enticing videos to drive sales, etc.

If you can give examples of topics or creators you do like, that will be helpful. If even that is challenging, I suggest that within YouTube, click on the search window and enter your preferred keyword (drone, UAV, Aerial Video, etc). Notice that after you enter the word "drone " YT auto suggests additional keywords like "light show, racing, show, 2021, fireworks, fails, video, footage..."

Learning what NOT to do is worth considering and many are enlightening and entertaining, like "drone fails." "Aerial Video A to Z" would also be educational and something like "best drone video" will give you some useful threads. Once you find channels you like, be sure to click on their channel link, then to the right of the HOME link at the top under the number of subscribers, click on VIDEOS and scan their catalog (or PLAYLISTS (to see their favs organized by their recommended topics).

And of course, along with the search you can also use the FILTER option to narrow your selection criteria by two dozen specifications (like view count, rating, 4K, short/long, etc). But as I've mentioned before, after watching a video you like all the way through, be sure to pay attention to SUGGESTED VIDEOS YT recommends you watch next.

Cheers, Michael
Thanks,
I'm pretty OK with searching etc. As you know sometimes you don't know what is out there and rather than waste time some good suggestions from someone like yourself is a good place to start. Hence my question on what you would suggest. A bit like asking someone to recommend a good book.

happy to follow any suggestions you have.

Turns out our tastes are akin to a producers brand - not so much what they say they are or do, but the way you feel experiencing the product or service.

For instance, I've seen 15 wedding video editors take exactly the same original footage and edit/tell/produce as many different stories based on their own styles, brand, expertise.

I, or others might make a psych profile/assessment based on tertiary factoids like our handles - you TheDude, me MoonLitNight (some even think I must be a woman, where the MLN is only based on the initials of my name).

Good luck on your hunt and journey!

Michael

I've always been very curious as to why everyone posts the same content at the same time
Because one of the keys to get views is to post something as soon as possible when something comes out so that you have something for the people who search about it to find, then follow it up with more detail... and there's only so much to say about these things so everyone obviously will have something very similar.

I watch lots of documentaries, watch/listen to music compilations/edits, people doing maker projects, things about various historical devices, urbex videos etc

Please add the links for the last part ....... ?

Reactions: moonlitnite
Don't forget that Google owns YouTube, so their algorithms can be affected by Google searches and content you may view.

As Moonlitnite said, searches in YouTube, using keywords are your friend to get away from the "Suggested/Recommended" content. Though once you find something interesting, "suggested can help you find more.

Another way to find good content is, once you find a channel you like, go there and see who they subscribe to.

Please add the links for the last part ....... ?
Oh okay, if you insist but once you click this, anticipate that YT will be sending many more like 'em ;)

And if you're really frisky, here's one where the tasty babe is actually flying a megadrone and I mean she is REALLY FLYING *IN* the drone 100 feet above water! And yes, the person shooting video of the human drone chick using their traditional drone did an admirable job, too! And me... I'm a real pus - typically anxious flying my DJI gear over water and relieved to return back over land...

Happy New Year

Oh okay, if you insist but once you click this, anticipate that YT will be sending many more like 'em ;)

And if you're really frisky, here's one where the tasty babe is actually flying a megadrone and I mean she is REALLY FLYING *IN* the drone 100 feet above water! And yes, the person shooting video of the human drone chick using their traditional drone did an admirable job, too! And me... I'm a real pus - typically anxious flying my DJI gear over water and relieved to return back over land...

Happy New Year
Thanks for posting those clips! The first one looked posed with the hula hoops in the bush. But that lake seems to attract the water devils! The drone girl and the jet spout rider! Great to watch. ??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000