DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good Places to Fly in the Philadelphia Area

PhantomFandom

Reactions
We always hear people saying that it is getting harder to find good places to fly that are legal, safe, and free of law enforcement or other spectators bothering you. That is especially true in urban areas and big cities. So let's post places that you have personally found to fly that meet that criteria. Give us as many details as you can, like:
  • Exact Location
  • What type of space is it?
  • Is it crowded?
  • Is it near any controlled airspace?
  • What type of scenery is there?
  • Anything else that tells us why it's a good place to fly.

I fly a great deal in and around Philadelphia. People are generally surprised that there are spaces to fly right in the city. So I will start it off...

One great place is right where I took off when I took the picture that you see for my account. It is a park right behind the Philadelphia Art Museum. There is a pier right next to the Fairmount dam that I often use as my takeoff spot.

It gives you a great view of the city, the art museum, boathouse row, and the river. Once you takeoff, you can fly completely over the river at all times so there is never any concern about flying over people. The only controlled airspace in the immediate vicinity is Eastern State Penitentiary, which is an old prison. It is now only a tourist attraction. However if you stay over the river, there is no danger of incursion.

Here is the location on Google Maps:
https://goo.gl/maps/H9JmAwpBW25R3tRYA

Hi! I just got a Mavic Mini, and live just a couple blocks from the museum. I’m sure it’ll be one of my first flight locations!

Hi! I just got a Mavic Mini, and live just a couple blocks from the museum. I’m sure it’ll be one of my first flight locations!
That's great. If you are brand new to flying, I would recommend a secluded park first. Anywhere with lots of open space.

Let me know when you plan on heading over to the museum as I may just be in the area.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143