DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Google Nexus 7 2nd Gen for Mavic Pro?

Clem

Reactions
Hey all, I am a newbie here both to the forum and to drones. I purchased a Mavic Pro which should be delivered today. I was wondering if the Google Nexus 7 2nd Gen would run the Go 4 app and would it need cellular service. Any help would be appreciated. I have already learned quite a bit by just snooping around here and look forward to learning more and more. Oh, I am really nervous about my first flight so any information to alleviate that would be appreciated as well.

Last edited:
I bought a used 2nd Gen Nexus 7 3 days ago for £40, to run purely on the mavic. I disabled all i could and installed DJI Go 4, but i kept getting picture breaking up and gnerally poor transmission of the image. I tried various cables and all the help videos that this site quotes, but still no joy.

So i took delivery yesterday of a used 2017 Lenovo Tab 4 8Plus for £80 and it works flawlessy.

I think the ongoing resource hungry DJI Go app is getting too much for the nexus 7

Reactions: HVYMTL
I'm pleased to hear that you are all OK with the Nexus. But I'm not the only one who is or has experienced these issues. Can't think why some and not all? Possibly firmware differences?

Thanks for your time and input guys. I think I will just use my IPad 12.9 Pro. I bought a MavMount for it. I was just thinking of something smaller but will use what I have.

I have have similar issues, I factory reset last night with only DJI app installed and.no developer options enabled. Seems okay but will update when I can test more.

I've also turned off caching video to the device, through the DJI app.

I have used the Nexus7 for almost two years with MP1
I find it's hard to take screen shots at times. When I fly I run off Wi-Fi and change setting so the RC won't charge pad
No major issues that would make me switch it out
......cR

I have have similar issues, I factory reset last night with only DJI app installed and.no developer options enabled. Seems okay but will update when I can test more.

I've also turned off caching video to the device, through the DJI app.

Did some more testing today. Video glitching still happens, but restarting the app does resolve (maybe a few times).

Had another issue where was flying for 40mins ( 3rd battery) and the the device froze and rebooted, I was a good distance.away and had to use the RTH button on the RC and quickly plugged my phone in - all was okay.

I had the screen in full brightness and been under high CPU load for 40min. I'm guessing the system may have overheated and crashed.

I think I will use the N7 primarily (but not with confidence). I will have my phone in my pocket as a back up.

Bottom line... I wouldn't go looking to buy a N7 to fly with latest DJI Go 4,.I just don't think it has the power and efficency, However, you can make it work.

Hope this help and saves some people some.time.

Reactions: SegwayFlyer
the biggest problem with nexus7 is make sure you get very good anker cable

I have flown my Mav Pro with the 2nd gen Nexus 7 tablet and Nexus 5x phone, during the first few flights, I would loose contact constantly. Bought an iPad mini 4 and never looked back. Now, I only get disconnects when I refuse to update the app, to a point that I suspect DJI is artificially initiating these disconnects. Anyway, replaced my phone for an iPhone 7, for the sole reason that I could fly my drones with it as well.

I found that with more recent apps the Nexus 7 would only run reasonably smoothly with video cache turned off, which is no big deal usually but not ideal.
It used to be fine with earlier versions, the app used to be well under 100mb but is now at least 2x that.

I have a nexus 7 2013 2nd gen
It's running android 6, I'm not having any problems so far with the Mavic pro and the Spark.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS