DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GoPro Karma defector in Southern Maryland

I'm already registered, tagged and have my Part 107 certification. I never flew my Karma for commercial purposes, but I'm surrounded by restricted airspace (Washington DC as a whole, Andrew's AFB, Pax River NAS) so I figured it was in my best interest.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Reactions: MA2 317
Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again!

I am curious as to why you've given up on the GoPro Karma. Is it broken?

Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again!

I am curious as to why you've given up on the GoPro Karma. Is it broken?
About a year and some change ago, GoPro pushed a firmware update that caused the drone and remote to no longer pair, essentially grounding the drone. Being as the drone was no longer in production at that point, they have had little urgency to remedy the issue. There are talks of a class-action lawsuit, as well as some people have figured out how to hack the remote and downgrade the firmware, but I'm not sure I want to go through all of that for a product that is no longer supported.

I actually liked the Karma. I was already invested in the GoPro ecosystem, so buying a factory refurbished Karma for $399 at the time was a pretty good deal. It was modular in that the drone, gimble, and camera were all separate pieces. The gimble fit on either the drone or the 'Karma Grip' (included with the drone) which turned it into a hand-held gimble, and then you inserted the camera into the gimble. (The gimble and grip still work fine btw). The unlimited cloud storage ($5 a month) was great for accessing my videos outside of the home as well.

In terms of flying, the Karma was big, bulky, and extremely manual in terms of control. It had a follow-me feature but that was about it. No sort of collision avoidance system so it'd follow you right into a tree. It wasn't particularly fast, and the 'real-life' flight time was 17-18 minutes, and the range was only about 4000ft (1.2km), but despite all of that it felt extremely stable and produced some quality video once you got a good handle on the controls. I'm certainly going to miss it but I'm looking forward to being part of a much larger user, and knowledge base with the Mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent