DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got a call from FAA today...do I really need my Part 107?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only if the photo is NOT purely Recreational!!

What are the Commercial Drone rules from Greece?
It goes after the EU regulation where you have to do some online training and online exams to get a license.

But nothing specific for photos and getting some profit out of them. You get a license only in case something bad happends (to have you a$$ covered), but 99.9% of those with a drone don't have a license and aren't even aware that a license is needed. Plus there is no police or authority to enforce these things, so it's only up to the individual.

I do not understand why you would reference a section of U.S. Code that reinforces my argument in the very first "Limitation" listed,

I give you your reference… §44809 -- (a), (1) The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational purposes.

I do not know how it can be any plainer… If you receive any Recompense, it's not Recreational…

View attachment 144824
Your original question was badly posed, because it implies that it is either a "recreational hobby" or a "commercial venture". The law doesn't mention commercial ventures, and the only line that matters is the one that divides recreational and non-recreational.

Reactions: Torque
I do not understand why you would reference a section of U.S. Code that reinforces my argument in the very first "Limitation" listed,

I give you your reference… §44809 -- (a), (1) The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational purposes.

I do not know how it can be any plainer… If you receive any Recompense, it's not Recreational…
You asked, "And where would you draw the line between a Recreational Hobby and a Commercial Venture?"

I posted the FAA's answer.

Also, recompense isn't a qualifier. It's a disqualifier.

14 CFR Part 107 is the "default" set of UAS rules from the FAA. You have the recreational exception to that. I'm not sure what you're getting at. There are no "Commercial" rules for UAS by the FAA. That word isn't even used in the statute, just some summaries.

You asked, "And where would you draw the line between a Recreational Hobby and a Commercial Venture?"

I posted the FAA's answer.

Also, recompense isn't a qualifier. It's a disqualifier.

14 CFR Part 107 is the "default" set of UAS rules from the FAA. You have the recreational exception to that. I'm not sure what you're getting at. There are no "Commercial" rules for UAS by the FAA. That word isn't even used in the statute, just some summaries.

This is the last time I will respond to this topic, so whatever you write in response I will not bother to look at this topic again…

you are like that "Man Stuck on his Rooftop in a Flood," you just will not hear the truth. See Cartoon below…

Perhaps, you just like throwing (Mod Removed Language)at the wall to see what sticks…

Any case, you questioned my use of certain terms, this is the context that they were used…

Recompense, when used as a noun means to give something to by way of compensation… The OP received as compensation local and possibly national recognition for his videos….

Commercial use is any reproduction or purpose that is marketed, promoted, or sold and incorporates a financial transaction… Once again, his videos were used by "third persons" and thus the OP received promotional consideration. (You know, when various companies offer prizes on TV like "The Price is Right" for Promotional Consideration…).

Let's end it here and agree to disagree…

This is LT "signed off!"

man drown.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the last time I will respond to this topic, so whatever you write in response I will not bother to look at this topic again…
And it was written so I expect you not to.
Guys this doesn’t seem to be a productive thread no more so
dont be surprised when I close it .
dc

you are like that "Man Stuck on his Rooftop in a Flood," you just will not hear the truth. See Cartoon below…

Perhaps, you just like throwing (Mod Removed Language)at the wall to see what sticks…

Any case, you questioned my use of certain terms, this is the context that they were used…

Recompense, when used as a noun means to give something to by way of compensation… The OP received as compensation local and possibly national recognition for his videos….

Commercial use is any reproduction or purpose that is marketed, promoted, or sold and incorporates a financial transaction… Once again, his videos were used by "third persons" and thus the OP received promotional consideration. (You know, when various companies offer prizes on TV like "The Price is Right" for Promotional Consideration…).

Let's end it here and agree to disagree…

This is LT "signed off!"
I'm not sure what crawled in your ear and bit your cranky bone. Wow.

All I'm trying to do is get you to understand the rules when it comes to UAS flights in the NAS. It's what I do. Either post-incident, or pre-incident. And honestly, I'd rather do it pre-incident, then I don't have to report to my FAA Safety Team leads. There's no paperwork that way.

The default set of non-DOD UAS rules in the U.S. is 107. Period. No other set of rules are out there. There are however 3 or so exceptions to those rules. In order to be excused of 107 rules, the most common exception if the recreation exception.

No where in the rules under 107 is "Recompense" even mentioned. Ever. And "compensation" is only mentioned three times, all under 107.205. And those refer to carriage of property, so that's not pertinent either.

It's a shame you feel the need to leave this discussion. You could learn a lot from it. There are a number of people here who can help you learn the rules.

Reactions: Moozer and Torque
CLOSED
Have a issue with it message a Admin​

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members