DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got my Nano Plus. Compared to the Mini 2:

To be honest those pics have pretty much killed my interest in it - the details are awful, lots of mushy watercolour effect. Might just be the settings in Lightroom though.

That's what I'm wondering too. I'd like to see untouched/RAW files to get a better sense of the image quality without any processing interfering.

PS: I used Capture One for my Mini 2 raws and the difference in detail is insane! Only downside is I had to make custom lens and colour profiles to get decent results. But the results are great:

Have you tried getting the same results with Lightroom?

I've been on the verge of buying a Nano+ but I'm mostly interested in stills, and nobody is posting samples! So thanks for posting these, very very helpful Thumbswayup

To be honest those pics have pretty much killed my interest in it - the details are awful, lots of mushy watercolour effect. Might just be the settings in Lightroom though. Video looks amazing but I'm not convinced it's worth twice the price of the Mini 2 for stills.

Don't suppose you'd be willing to share a daytime RAW file I could have a nose at?

PS: I used Capture One for my Mini 2 raws and the difference in detail is insane! Only downside is I had to make custom lens and colour profiles to get decent results. But the results are great:

I would
1AAQRmN.jpeg

I would be happy to share some day time raws I can tomorrow. I am only a novice imager so I likey do not do the sensor on the Nano Plus much justice.

Overall I really appreciate the lack of geofencing because this evening I brought out the big boy: Mavic 3 and it had significant issues transition into authorization zones and I have no idea why. It would enter an authorization zone and hover at 0 mph and at one point gave me an alert of a forced landing. I was not in any restricted zone at all just a auto zone which requires 196' or lower and I set my RTH way down to 48.' I almost thought I was going to lose my Mavic 3 but I was able to pilot it home anyhow but at the same time I was in an unexpected video transmission failure but I was only 4000 feet away. So all of these things combined tonight want me to think about Autel or using the drone hack so that I can overcome losing a drone to something like this

Reactions: Biscuitbeard
I've been on the verge of buying a Nano+ but I'm mostly interested in stills, and nobody is posting samples! So thanks for posting these, very very helpful Thumbswayup

To be honest those pics have pretty much killed my interest in it - the details are awful, lots of mushy watercolour effect. Might just be the settings in Lightroom though. Video looks amazing but I'm not convinced it's worth twice the price of the Mini 2 for stills.

Don't suppose you'd be willing to share a daytime RAW file I could have a nose at?

1AAQRmN.jpeg
Any chance of you sharing the profiles?

Any chance of you sharing the profiles?
For Capture One? Sure, I actually make C1 profiles professionally (Digistock.net).

Have attached my latest version to the post but annoyingly you'll have to make your own LCC profile for each unique aircraft (I think it's linked to serial). Without this you get a nasty pink centre/a green vignette! Just take a close pic of a well-lit white surface and then, with this pic loaded in C1, use 'generate LCC' to analyse it and correct the colour shift.

Capture One default rendering:

C1 Default.jpg

My profile:

Custom Profile.jpg

It's still a little oversaturated and the neutrals are a little greenish, but it's a big improvement for a drone that's technically unsupported! Very curious to see how the Autel Nano sensor raws render in C1, which is why I'm hoping to find some DNGs.

Attachments

• Capture One - DJI Mini 2 V3.1.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 18
My profile:

View attachment 141976

It's still a little oversaturated and the neutrals are a little greenish, but it's a big improvement for a drone that's technically unsupported! Very curious to see how the Autel Nano sensor raws render in C1, which is why I'm hoping to find some DNGs.

Very nice. That's a substantial difference.

The geofencing / nanny issues are always a concern for me. I fear that with one heavy handed drone law -poof- your drone will be bricked or you can’t fly any more without an update, etc. The more independent / ability to check out of the oversight dependency, the better.

I’m interested to see how DJI counters with Mini 3, camera and such, but doubt they’ll ease off on the back door controls.
Dji does not "counter". They are the leader and Autel follows whatever they do. The Nano, and all their drones, are "counters" to the products DJI released about a year or 2 prior to Autel releasing there version of it.

Reactions: cc_jim
I've waited to see reality of both Nano+ and Lite+. Now that they are out, my urge for Nano+ has diminished and increased for Lite+. The cost of Nano+ is just under $1000 for premium kit and Lite+ $1650 for premium kit.

At almost twice the price of Mini2 $450 to Nano+ $800 (78% increase). It may be comparable in catagory/size, but at almost twice the price it should be a lot better!

The Lite+ compares more equivalent to the Air2S. The Lite+ $1350 base, $1650 premium kit, to Air 2S $1000 base, $1350 FlyMore. That's a 35% increase on base, 26% increase on kit.

For comparisons of all 4, the Lite+ with adjustable aperture is ahead of the pak..

Both nice crafts, be interesting to see how FW & SW App improve over 6 months for Autel.

Experience tells me FW & SW are going to be slow, (maybe painfully slow) and some features left hanging.

Dji does not "counter". They are the leader and Autel follows whatever they do. The Nano, and all their drones, are "counters" to the products DJI released about a year or 2 prior to Autel releasing there version of it.
I totally understand and agree DJI is the Market holder and leads with Industry developments. Although Autel has made multiple designs DJi stole & used... common in China with their positioning on patents. Although USA and UK judgements would uphold patent law.

There was a (2018 & 2020) patent suit that DJI used Autel design(s)... and was reconized by Patent Judge that was going to rule banning against sale in USA. For Prop attachment patent, that would have included Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro Platinum, Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom... and possibly onward. In addition, other Autel patent for flight control DJI named APAS, started in Mavic Air and has been used in all crafts since. Lastly the battery connection method DJI uses was another Autel Patent.

These 3 areas of designs were held by Autel in patents before DJI introduced... would have been devastating if DJI could not use or sell crafts that used these designs.

The 2 companies settled out of court, and DJI paid majorly to use the designs; I think partly financing newer Autel development. Autel may be a fraction of size, but they can introduce ideas or designs in Ft of DJI that may be ahead in Technology. The EVO2 Dual... several features M2ED or M2EAdv lack, one major is adjustable aperture on RGB. The "payload swap" is ahead of Mavic series. The Lite+ has features not in Air 2S... again one major is adjustable aperture. The Nano+ has OA sensors and corrects overheating in sub250 class with a Fan... two ahead of DJI.

Competition from Big or Small is healthy for us all... it's what stimulates Design & Technology. If it was only DJI, they would have no incentive to create new products or not at the rate they work to release. If Big Dogs ruled... and didn't evolve to compete due to small companies... GM & Ford would not be working so hard to develop long distance eCars & eTrucks as another example.

Geofencing exist to protect the drone industry from heavy handed govt control, I’m grateful Dji is trying to prevent the very thing people fear, it’s more likely drones without geofencing will be the ones banned in the future… sure you can fly them anyway but FAA compliance is the reason for the feature….. anyway just saying we should not penalize Dji for simply thinking ahead in our buying decisions

For Capture One? Sure, I actually make C1 profiles professionally (Digistock.net).

Have attached my latest version to the post but annoyingly you'll have to make your own LCC profile for each unique aircraft (I think it's linked to serial). Without this you get a nasty pink centre/a green vignette! Just take a close pic of a well-lit white surface and then, with this pic loaded in C1, use 'generate LCC' to analyse it and correct the colour shift.

Capture One default rendering:

View attachment 141975

My profile:

View attachment 141976

Thanks a lot - I'll have to give it a try; thanks again for the info!

Here are some DNG files from the Nano Plus version. this in late afternoon. The cloud sky image is about 20 minutes after sunset. The DJI mini flies like a dream compared to the Nano. But the camera!.

4096 x 3072
24.41 mb
ISO 207, 6.67 mm F1.9 1/15 sec

edit

having some issues posting the raws. sorry. I saw that this server is only allowing me to post jgp files.

Attachments

• 2600-3.jpg
    2600-3.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Here are some DNG files from the Nano Plus version. this in late afternoon. The cloud sky image is about 20 minutes after sunset. The DJI mini flies like a dream compared to the Nano. But the camera!.

4096 x 3072
24.41 mb
ISO 207, 6.67 mm F1.9 1/15 sec

edit

having some issues posting the raws. sorry. I saw that this server is only allowing me to post jgp files.
Nice shot... not sure overall, hadn't looked at a mini's night shots for comparison. I'm assuming by your post the nano is showing a much high dynamic range. It does look to have pretty good DR.

My navity, does "OFF" mean "Out of Focus"?

Few comments noticed: zooming in on cars moving, no streaks on tail or headlights; Was there still ample daylight? On the JPEGs, there looks to be a lot of noise... light & dark areas: light roofs of homes, dark roads & water. Are you seeing different results on native files?

Your RAW file link requests a sign up or login for 1Drive.

Hadn't heard of file.io... looks pretty good but has 100meg limit per upload it appears. I normally use WeTransfer, 2GB limit per upload on Free acct allows sending 1 link to one or multiple emails.

On the Nano+, does it not fly very nice? Slow to respond, not stable?

Nice shot... not sure overall, hadn't looked at a mini's night shots for comparison. I'm assuming by your post the nano is showing a much high dynamic range. It does look to have pretty good DR.

My navity, does "OFF" mean "Out of Focus"?

Few comments noticed: zooming in on cars moving, no streaks on tail or headlights; Was there still ample daylight? On the JPEGs, there looks to be a lot of noise... light & dark areas: light roofs of homes, dark roads & water. Are you seeing different results on native files?

Your RAW file link requests a sign up or login for 1Drive.

Hadn't heard of file.io... looks pretty good but has 100meg limit per upload it appears. I normally use WeTransfer, 2GB limit per upload on Free acct allows sending 1 link to one or multiple emails.

On the Nano+, does it not fly very nice? Slow to respond, not stable?
The files should be shared to public. I can open them from incognito.

There was not ample daylight. It was about 20 minutes past sunset.

The Nano flies like crap right now. Very slow and often unresponsive. I hope that it is corrected in firmware update. The Mini 2 beats the pants of the Nano in a speed test. They advertise 15m/second in sport mode but no one on YouTube is even showing faster than 12. Also Autel has crappy support compared to DJI. They lack all the bells and whistles like online portals; support chat. There are no flight data software that I am aware of, though the one I am aware of for DJI is 3rd party. There are few 3rd party accessories for Autel. But, I can't stand the DJI geofencing either. I hope Autel continues to grow and get better but clearly they do not have the resources that DJI does.

I think the Nano+ is too expensive to be competitive.
You either need to do it better than the market leader for the same money, or do it the same as the market leader for less money.
Autel seem to be doing some things better and some things worse for vastly more money.

I think the Nano+ is too expensive to be competitive.
You either need to do it better than the market leader for the same money, or do it the same as the market leader for less money.
Autel seem to be doing some things better and some things worse for vastly more money.
But I bet it sets the price point for the Mini 3, sadly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu