DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got my new MP today, and have already introduced it to the wall...

You can't really set OPTI mode. If you have VPS enabled it will come on if it can't get a GPS lock and has enough light and contrasting items on the ground to key off. If it drops into ATTI mode the aircraft will drift without stick inputs to counteract any movements.....meaning you have to actively fly it to keep it's position in space. In ATTI mode the aircraft acts like a puck on an air hockey table where it can effectively slide in any horizontal direction. In smaller rooms your going to get swirling air currents coming off the floor and walls which will

Reactions: jash123
Don't feel bad. I did this the first day I got my mavic too!

I've since flown for hours and hours (more than 100 miles) without incident.

I still fly indoors sometimes.

Reactions: cplmac
Got home from work and took a couple pics of my bird as it sits after last night. I ordered two pairs of OEM blades today, a new skin to cover the scuffs and one of those RC adapters that lets you use a tablet. You can see from the pics the damage at least APPEARS to be cosmetic. I'm gonna take it outside in a little bit after replacing the rear rotor which are the ones that made initial contact with the wall.

resizedimage.php

resizedimage.php

resizedimage.php

resizedimage.php

Replacing the two rear blades now and taking it outside for an airborne function check. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for? Keep in mind I know just this side of nothing about flying drones in general and drone inspecting in particular.

Got home from work and took a couple pics of my bird as it sits after last night. I ordered two pairs of OEM blades today, a new skin to cover the scuffs and one of those RC adapters that lets you use a tablet. You can see from the pics the damage at least APPEARS to be cosmetic. I'm gonna take it outside in a little bit after replacing the rear rotor which are the ones that made initial contact with the wall.

resizedimage.php

resizedimage.php

resizedimage.php

resizedimage.php

Replacing the two rear blades now and taking it outside for an airborne function check. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for? Keep in mind I know just this side of nothing about flying drones in general and drone inspecting in particular.
check the gimbal for any damage, it's a very sensitive part.

Took it for a short flight this morning, everything flight control wise was good. I'm going to take it out again and mess with the camera and see if it's all good. There is a little plastic tab sticking up on top of the gimbal, like the cellophane plastic that was over the vision lenses when I took it out of the box. It seems like there is a piece of that kind of plastic on top of the gimbal but it doesn't want to easily pull off and I'm not comfortable pulling on it hard until I know it's not a part of the gimbal system. Also can I adjust my camera settings on the ground before I lift off for a flight? It would be very convenient to be able to do that before I get airborne so I can get the most out of my battery.

So my Mavic arrived from Amazon today, yay! First flight outdoors was perfect, no problems at all just getting used to it. Second flight was indoors so I could try and make some camera adjustments. Wasn't even flying it around, just tried to put it up at hover and it started floating backwards and I couldn't stop it. Hit the wall soft but rode it down to the floor. Popped a blade off but it's not broke, lot of paint from the wall on all the blades and some on the top of the body. I don't think there is any actual physical damage besides the edges of the blades being slightly rougher than they were. Gimbal looked weird and out of position but it's working fine, all sensors seem to be fine. I probably lucked out but I'll know tomorrow when I take it OUTSIDE for a flight with GPS. Now I have to get skins, the scrapes on the back aren't coming off...probably need all new sets of rotors too. It does still fly with the current rotors but they aren't as good looking as they were when I took it out of the box five hours ago.
Do you know what software was installed when you first received the MAVIC.?

Yes, you can adjust your camera settings on the ground before takeoff, definitely makes it easier! I think that tab is still on mine now and I don't think it affects anything. -CF

One nice thing that happened after flying indoors was adding "drywall repair" to my skills list on LinkedIn.

Always look on the bright side of life...

I tried to fly via wifi for the first time... it went up, and I got scared and tried to land it and it said "NO SUITABLE LANDING AREA" or something like that. With wifi there is no CSC... so.... I grabbed it underneath and tried to shut it off as it fought the hell out of me... finally, I carefully yanked the battery out.

Flying indoors is scary. Flying via wifi is super crazy and no good.

Similar situation for me. Second or third flight, wanted to see some camera angles. Started drifting towards wall, control stick had no effect! I grabbed it from underneath, which made it ANGRY (optical sensors saw my hand as an object and tried to fly away from it). So fought with it for a few moments before I could successfully kill the motors. A learning experience.

Good idea, but just make sure it's not a metal warehouse or one with a lot of steel work or steel girders and such.

Bud

It won't happen again, I won't fly indoors again unless its a very large building with high ceilings like a warehouse. That's exactly what happened Ziggy, no GPS flying ATTI and it just slow motion drifted into the wall. I'm really hoping I got off without any real repairs required. Now I have to figure out how to use the camera controls, how to get 4k video and how to play it on my TV.

Had this happen to me when I had the GoPro Karma (returned it and got Mavic). Knee jerk reaction when I couldn't shut it down and it was approaching expensive household items was to smack it down with my hand. Sliced my fingers open pretty bad and bruised the bones. Still hurts a number of months later. Careful inside.

Wow that wouldn't have been my first choice. Those blade type thingys are spinning fast :p sofa pillow or something else maybe... or just stick down hard. Seriously, sorry about your fingers. Hurts thinking about it.

I don't think I have read of, much less had, a successful indoor flight. The GPS reception is too unreliable.

My indoor flights have been successful. However, I don't do it often and I have a fairly large living room (18ft ceilings, 20x25. My carpet also has some contast so VPS probably picked it up pretty good. With that said, I don't generally fly indoors anymore as I still think it is risky. Had a run of bad luck lately so being a little extra cautious with the mavic.

Reactions: jmhilljr
My indoor flights have been successful. However, I don't do it often and I have a fairly large living room (18ft ceilings, 20x25. My carpet also has some contast so VPS probably picked it up pretty good. With that said, I don't generally fly indoors anymore as I still think it is risky. Had a run of bad luck lately so being a little extra cautious with the mavic.
Yeah, indoor flights do seem to work best with larger spaces. I I wish indoor flying worked better than it does.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc