DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got the wrong iPad mini?

Eagle430

Reactions
Hello

I recently bought an iPad mini 5, 2019 model for using it to fly my drone
It arrived yesterday, but after checking the model I realised it's a model version with out GPS.
Did I buy the wrong model? It's model A2133 and in the specs it's saying with out GPS. Is this going to affect the flying performance of my drone? For example GPS signal, strength of signal etc.?

You should be fine with 99% of your flights.

I've flown my Spark with a WiFi only mini 4 for years with no problems.

A GPS enabled device will allow you to use the "Find my drone" and changing the home point to a new location if needed.

Other than those options, the non GPS version will work well.

You map won't function either, and it's a very handy thing to have on board.
You CAN cache required maps at home on wifi before heading out, but really ,that would become tedious.
Can you return the ipad without too much hassle and upgrade to the gps model ?

Maps you mean in case the drone is too far and you need to tap the map mode so that you can fly the drone back to the home point?

Wifi or lack there of will not effect the flying performance of a DJI product.

If you have a cellphone with hot spot function AND cell service where you are flying just use the iPad wifi to link to your hot spot. Maps should update and my “find my drone” worked just fine - using a smart controller.

Reactions: GFields and BigAl07
All of my "UAS/Drone" iPads are "WiFi Only" and have been for years. If I suddenly "need" cellular service I just HotSpot/Tether to my iPhone but I haven't needed to do that in ..... a couple of years now . . . .

Another small issue I discover while flying my drone and using the iPad mini is that the time line (how much time there is for flying) it's only displayed in minutes , not minutes and seconds. In my android tablet I could see both , for example it was showing 21.15 (21 minutes and 15 seconds, going backwards I could see both, for exame as the battery was draining I could see 6.10 -( 6 minutes 10 seconds), now in my iPad I can only see minutes, for example is showing 6.-- , only the minutes and just a small line instead of the seconds. Is this normal with the iPads or it can be configured in the settings ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada