Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS/GSM Trackers.

Simmo

Learning every day!!
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi Guys'n'Gals,
(I did note that there was a similar thread back from 2016, so with Admin/mods approval, I hope we can start a new thread for the start of 2018.)

I have seen so many GSM trackers around, of varying quality and operational methods. GSM, Bluetooth, some form of Transmitter etc etc...
I think probably one that has stood out for me over the years has been the Marco Polo, but I never actually pulled the trigger and bought one.
Nowadays, with wifi and GSM nearly everywhere, I thought about GSM, even to track my kids!!
However just to get a cheap data only SIM card plan thru Telstra here in Oz, was $20 a month. Too dear I thought....
OK!! I know some of you are going to say , 'Hey! The aircraft is worth $1000, whats $20 a month????'
Good point, but for that sort of money plus the cost of the tracker, I'll update my insurance policy...

So what got me thinking about this again, was a post on here whereby a guy said what tracker he used.... I googled it and this brand has an 'International SIM card', no data charge for 12 months, then $5 a month after that???!!

So all that being said, do the community experts have comment?
Do they use one? (not necessarily on a Mavic.)
Why that one?
Does it work as expected?
What would they change or do differently if they were to start over?

Over to you!

In my early days of a P2V I had the tk102b tracker it was a 2G sim for Uk use and it helped me out on 2 occasions when I had to ditch the quad.

Using a tracker gave me a sense of security when I flew in unknown areas or over woodland.

Just do a search on trackers, there is 165 posts on the subject. Maybe you could start a thread of trackers, haven't seen the admins do this know of thing.

I use a GSM GPS tracker. It works well in all my tests. Does not need any data, can operate through sms.

I've noticed that most in the USA prefer the Marco Polo.
It's not an option here in the UK as the frequencies it operates on are reserved by OFCOM for mobile communication and military land and maritime communication. Several networks still use the band for 3G communication.

If they made a version catered for the UK I'd probably buy one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000